BUUSD 1:1 Device Student User Agreement
BUUSD encourages the use of one-to-one (1:1) devices or tablets and the network, including the Internet, as a tool for research and education. The 1:1 device and the network, like any other school property, must be used for educational purposes. The distribution of a 1:1 Device to each student attending BUUSD Schools to access their education is a privilege, not a right, and its use may be revoked at any time for inappropriate conduct during the school day or outside of school. 1:1 Devices, the charger, and the case are the property of BUUSD.
Students and parents/guardians are responsible for reading and understanding the BUUSD Acceptable Use of Electronic Resources and the Internet Policy and this BUUSD 1:1 Device Student User Agreement.
Each school year, students are automatically opted into the 1:1 program and it is assumed that parents/guardians and students agree to the BUUSD 1:1 Device User Agreement. Parents/guardians and students will be held to this agreement unless a Computer Technology Opt-Out Form is submitted. Print a copy of the form, sign and return this form to the main office. If you don’t have the ability to print this form out, please contact the Help Desk at 479-6901 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please know that should you choose to opt-out of the 1:1 Device Student User Agreement, your student is still responsible for completing the learning tasks that may be assigned electronically.
- BUUSD will retain records of the serial and inventory numbers of provided equipment for each student.
- Each student will be given a protective case that they are required to use to carry their 1:1 Device in during the school day and outside of school.
- The purchase of any optional accessories is the responsibility of the student.
- The BUUSD retains ownership of all 1:1 Devices, cases, and chargers utilized in the 1:1 initiative. The BUUSD grants permission to the student to use the 1:1 Device according to the rules and guidelines set forth in the Acceptable Use Policy. Failure to follow the terms of this policy may result in disciplinary action, including but not limited to confiscation of any and all devices lent to the student and possible revocation of student access to BUUSD technology.
- Graduating Seniors Only: If parents wish to purchase the device at the end of their student’s senior year, they may pay the $10 fee by the end of the school year. Once the student has graduated, the student owns the device and the BUUSD is not liable for any maintenance, repairs, replacements, internet filtering or misconduct that may occur on the internet. The student assumes full responsibility for the device and their use of the internet upon purchase.
While using a 1:1 Device, students are expected to abide by the following rules and behavioral expectations, both at home and within the school:
USE OF EQUIPMENT AND NETWORK
- The student must review and abide by the BUUSD Acceptable Use of Electronic Resources and the Internet policy and this BUUSD 1:1 Device Student User Agreement.
- The school 1:1 Device is to be used for educational purposes.
- The student may not digitally record staff or other students without their consent or knowledge.
- The student may not destroy, deface, or alter 1:1 Device equipment, district identifying labeling or files not belonging to the student.
- Uses that are in violation of this policy may result in disciplinary action, including but not limited to confiscation of any and all devices lent to the student and possible revocation of student access to BUUSD technology in accordance with the BUUSD Acceptable Use of Electronic Resources and the Internet policy.
- Sending messages via school technology with the intent to intimidate, frighten, threaten, harass, ridicule or bully another person is considered harassment and will have consequences per the BUUSD C10 Policy on the Prevention of Harassment, Hazing and Bullying of Students and the BUUSD Acceptable Use of Electronic Resources and the Internet policy.
- Students may not change, alter, bypass, or attempt to bypass any security measures.
- The 1:1 Device’s content filter continues when students access the Internet outside of the school. Therefore, sites that are “blocked” at school will also be “blocked” in other locations where students access the Internet.
- BUUSD recommends that parents/guardians monitor their student’s time and activities on the Internet. Students should understand that their parent’s/guardian’s rules about Internet usage outside of school are applicable even when the student is using their district-issued 1:1 Device.
- The BUUSD reserves the right to monitor and log the use of its technology and network by users and examine user files and materials, as necessary. Authorized BUUSD staff retain the right to collect and/or inspect the 1:1 Device at any time, including via electronic remote access; and to alter, add, or delete installed software or hardware. There is no reasonable expectation of privacy while using BUUSD computers, networks, or technology. The school will cooperate fully with local, state, or federal officials in any investigation related to any illegal activities conducted through the school’s electronic system or devices.
- It is a violation of the BUUSD Acceptable Use of Electronic Resources and the Internet policy to share your password with anyone else or to access any account belonging to other students, faculty, or staff.
- Students will return devices if they are unenrolling from BUUSD Schools. Failure to return the device will result in the student and their families being billed for the replacement cost.
- Students will submit their 1:1 Device to authorized BUUSD staff upon request. Such a request may be made in order to check browser history and proper use of devices.
- Students are responsible for charging their 1:1 Device to ensure that they are fully charged for classes as students are expected to be prepared for class by having all the required materials.
- Students are responsible for protecting the 1:1 Device from damage and theft. 1:1 Devices will be issued in a protective case and we recommend the protective case be used at all times. Parents/Guardians will be billed for the repair or replacement cost of the 1:1 Device, case and/or the charger if damaged or missing.
- Spaulding Students Only: Spaulding student-issued 1:1 Devices will remain with the students as long as they are enrolled and attend Spaulding High School. Spaulding students will be responsible for their 1:1 Devices over the summer and all school vacations for the duration of their enrollment at SHS. Students will have the option to purchase their device upon graduation.
REPAIRING OR REPLACING 1:1 Device
1:1 Device Repairs
All required repairs for 1:1 Devices must be processed by the BUUSD Technology Support Department. Please, DO NOT attempt to repair the 1:1 Device yourself or through a third party.
Issues with 1:1 Devices should be communicated by sending an email to Helpdesk@buusd.org to initiate the repair or replacement process.
Cost of Repairs and Replacements
Students and parents/guardians will be held responsible for ALL damage to their 1:1 Devices including, but not limited to: broken screens, cracked plastic pieces, inoperability, etc. Should the cost to repair exceed the cost of purchasing a new device, parents/guardians will be billed for the full replacement value of the device as specified in the applicable BUUSD 1:1 Device Repair and Replacement Table unless the BUUSD technology staff determine that it is a manufacturer defect, which there will be no charge for. While the device is being repaired, students might be provided with a loaner device, depending on the individual repair situation. Students will not be issued a replacement device until BUUSD has been paid in full for the outstanding bill.
Lost items such as cases and cables will be charged the actual replacement cost. Please take the time to review the average costs for replacement and repair in the table below.
BUUSD 1:1 Device Repair and Replacement Table
New 1:1 Device
New Power Adapter
Replacement Power Charging Port
*These costs are subject to change at any time based on current market rates.
**As determined by authorized BUUSD technology staff.