August 7, 2019
Parents and Guardians,
I wanted to sincerely welcome you and your student(s) to Ignacio Middle School this year. As always, we will strive to make this a great academic year. I am pleased to share with your that our state academic growth scores indicate that we have had more than one year’s growth in both Math and Language Arts. That marks the second year in a row and three out of the last four that our school has had this achievement. Our focus at the Middle School is identified by our two goals: 1) Each child will achieve high academic growth 2) We will create a supportive and engaging learning environment. The administration and staff have worked very hard developing programs that support both of those objectives. Resiliency and kindness will be stressed throughout the year as our students become young adults. Here is a list of upcoming policies and events at the Middle School.
- August 7 through August 25--Registration--Registration is now being done online. Please go to the school website (www.ignacioschools.org) and click on the "Online Registration". If you need assistance or access to a computer you may call or come by the Middle School office in the next two weeks and our amazing secretary, Susie, will assist you
- August 9th--From 8:30 to 11:30 AM School Physicals will be offered for all athletes at IMS for 30 dollars.
- August 12--Football and Volleyball practices begin. Please make sure that your child has a completed physical and that you have signed all the necessary paperwork. Paperwork is also accessed and can be signed electronically on the school website.
- August 26--First day for students--Please make sure your child is at the school by 7:55 am. Our school day's begin at 7:55 and it is imperative that students are on time for classes. Doors to the school open at 7:30 am.
- August 28--Open House--This will be a meet and greet with teachers from 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM. A small meal will be provided consisting of hot dogs, chips, drink, fruit, and a cookie. We hope you can make it.
Other important items to note include:
- Please make sure your student has all necessary school supplies, especially the 3 inch, 3 ring Bobcat Binder (it is needed for all classes)
- Please be aware that cell phones are not allowed at school during the school day. Once a child enters school, he or she must put it away. This includes all personal electronic devices unless the student receives special permission from the office. There are important safety issues concerning cell phones. It is also important for parents to have strict guidelines at home around cell phone use.
- The Ignacio Middle School schedule will remain largely the same as last year. Some things worthy of note: Sustained Silent Reading is paired with PE, Bobcat Power Hour (mentorship) is paired with lunch.
- Please make sure to look at the dress code that can be found in the student handbook online before you purchase clothes. Areas of concern--Make sure that your child wears long shirts, blouses, or skirts with their yoga pants. Make sure that rips in jeans are at the knees or lower or that your child wears spandex underneath ripped jeans at school. Finally, remind your children that hats and backpacks belong in their lockers and that hoods on hoodies must be down if worn at school. Thank you for your attention to these matters.
We appreciate all of your support of the Middle School policies and procedures. It is paramount that the school and the parents/guardians support one another as our children begin to test boundaries. The onset of puberty will bring out many emotions and situations for our kids and it is imperative that we work together. I look forward to seeing all of you at the open house on August 28th. Sharing a meal is a great way to start the year.
Ignacio Middle School Principal