Community Unit School District #4
STUDENT REQUIRED USE AND INTERNET SAFETY POLICY (RUP)
PURPOSE: Community Unit School District provides all students access to the Internet, network
resources as well as laptop computers at designated graded levels, as a means to promote achievement and
provide diverse opportunities during the educational experience. This policy provides guidelines and
information about the limitations that the school imposes on use of these resources. In addition to this
policy, the use of any school computer, including laptop computers, also requires students to abide by the
CUSD#4 Technology Use Guidelines as stated in the Student Code of Conduct. Additional rules may be
added as necessary and will become a part of this policy.
TERMS OF THE REQUIRED USE AND INTERNET SAFETY POLICY:
Specifically, the student:
- Will adhere to these guidelines each time the Internet is used at home and school.
- Will make available for inspection by an administrator or teacher upon request any messages or files sent or received at any Internet location. Files stored and information accessed, downloaded or transferred on district-owned technology are not private.
- Will use appropriate language in all communications avoiding profanity, obscenity and offensive or inflammatory speech. Cyber Bullying such as personal attacks and/or threats on/against anyone made while using district owned technology to access the Internet or local school networks are to be reported to responsible school personnel. Rules of netiquette should be followed conducting oneself in a responsible, ethical and polite manner.
- Will follow copyright laws and should only download/import music or other files to a district
- owned technology that he/she is authorized or legally permitted to reproduce, or for which he/she has the copyright.
- Will never reveal identifying information, files or communications to others through email or post to the Internet.
- Will not attempt access to networks and other technologies beyond the point of authorized access. This includes attempts to use another person’s account and/or password.
- Will not share passwords or attempt to discover passwords. Sharing a password could make you liable if problems arise with its use and subject to disciplinary action.
- Will not download and/or install any programs, files, or games from the Internet or other sources onto any district owned technology. This includes the intentional introduction of computer viruses and other malicious software.
- Will not tamper with computer hardware or software, unauthorized entry into computers, and vandalism or destruction of the computer or computer files. Damage to computers may result in felony criminal charges.
- Will not attempt to override, bypass or otherwise change the Internet filtering software or other network configurations.
- Will use technology for school-related purposes only during the instructional day while refraining from use related to commercial, political or other private purposes.
- Will not make use of materials or attempt to locate materials that are unacceptable in a school setting. This includes, but is not limited to pornographic, obscene, graphically violent, or vulgar images, sounds, music, language, video or other materials. The criteria for acceptability is demonstrated in the types of material made available to students by administrators, teachers, and the school media center. Specifically, all district owned technologies should be free at all times of any pornographic, obscene, graphically violent, or vulgar images, sounds, music, language, video or other materials (files).
- Will not connect any personal technologies such as laptops and workstations, wireless access points and routers, printers, etc. to district owned and maintained local, wide or metro area network.
- Connection of personal devices such as iPods, Smart phones, PDAs and printers is permitted but not supported by CUSD#4 technical staff. Home Internet use and cost is the responsibility of the student both in cost and configuration. Dial-up is not an option as recent laptop configurations do not include modems.
- Will keep laptop secure and damage free. Each laptop is issued with a protective book bag style case. The use of a provided laptop bag is required at all times. Follow these general guidelines:
- Do not loan your laptop or charger and cords.
- Do not leave the laptop in vehicle.
- Do not leave your laptop unattended.
- Do not eat or drink while using the laptop or have food or drinks in close proximity to the laptop.
- Do not allow pets near your laptop.
- Do not place the laptop in floor or in sitting area such as couches or chairs.
- Do not leave the laptop near table or desk edges.
- Do not stack objects on top of your laptop.
- Do not leave the laptop outside or use near water such as a pool.
- Do not check the laptop as luggage at the airport.
Students will back up data and other important files regularly on Google Drive. CUSD#4 will at times maintenance the laptops by imaging. All files not backed up to Google Drive will be deleted during these processes. Students are ultimately responsible for backing up all personal files on their own Google Drive..
By signing this you agree to abide by the conditions listed above and assume responsibility for the care and proper use of CUSD#4 technology, including personally backing up personal data. CUSD#4 is not responsible for any loss resulting from delays, non-deliveries, missed deliveries, lost data, or service interruptions caused by user errors, omissions or reasons beyond the district’s control. Information obtained via the Internet and other sources using CUSD#4 technologies is not guaranteed as to its accuracy or quality.
I understand that should I fail to honor all the terms of this Policy, future Internet and other electronic media
accessibility may be denied. Furthermore, I may be subject to disciplinary action outlined in the CUSD#4 Student Code of Conduct and, if applicable, my Laptop computer may be recalled. By signing below, I give permission for the school to allow my son or daughter to have access to the Internet under the conditions set forth above.
As the parent/guardian, my signature indicates I have read and understand this Required Use Policy, and give my permission for my child to have access to the described electronic resources.
Parent/Guardian (please print): _______________________________________________
Parent/Guardian Signature: _______________________________Date: _____________
As the student, my signature indicates I have read or had explained to me and understand this Required Use Policy, and accept responsibility for abiding by the terms and conditions outlined and using these resources for educational purposes.
Student (please print): ______________________________________________________
Student Signature: ________________________________________Date: ____________
Terms and Conditions: This RUP is valid through June 30, 2018