We sincerely hope you enjoy your classes this weekend! This document contains important links, some useful tutorials, and some helpful information.
Table of contents and stuff
Platforms for Splash 2020
Help, I can’t join my class!
Important links hidden message
- Help Desk Zoom Room: https://esp.mit.edu/helpdesk.
This is open 9:30 AM - 9 PM EST on Saturday, 9 AM to 6 PM EST on Sunday.
- Call the Help Desk hotline:
1. Dial +1 646 558 8656.
2. When asked for a meeting ID, enter 920 4558 7009#.
3. When asked for participant ID, press #.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have questions about the Discord or walk-ins, message the #discord-help channel in the Splash 2020 Discord.
- We expect students to be respectful and mindful of each other in all their classes. Please keep things appropriate for everyone in the group and don’t spam the chat. If you feel like there has been a violation of this in a class you are in, you can anonymously report it above. You can also report if a non-student has made you uncomfortable in any way.
Platforms for Splash 2020 this helps with formatting
- Zoom is the video calling platform used as the digital “classrooms” in Splash 2020.
- If you have a Zoom account, change the Zoom name to match your full name as it appears on the ESP website, even if it does not match your real name (instructions here). Please email us at email@example.com if you want to change your ESP website name to match your real name.
- If you don’t have a Zoom account, type your full name as it appears on the ESP website when you join the meeting.
- More Zoom help for Splash 2020 can be found at https://esp.mit.edu/zoomguide.
- Discord is a messaging platform that will be used for hanging out and walk-in activities. Our Splash 2020 server is open to all students participating in Splash 2020!
- To verify your identity on the Discord server:
- Type “!verify [your username on the ESP website]” on the private message that AxoBotL sent you.
- The bot will send you an email with a verification code.
- After you receive this email, type “!verify [your username on the ESP website] [the code you receive]”
- AxoBotL will give you a student role, and you’re good to go!
- More Discord help for Splash 2020 can be found here.
Walk-ins are a bunch of fun activities that will be happening from 10:30-5:30 PM EST on Saturday and 9:30-5:30 on Sunday in the student discord! You don’t need to have registered for these activities in advance; just hop on in!
Check the walk-ins schedule at https://esp.mit.edu/walkin-schedule for more information on specific activities. Here’s a link to the Walk-ins FAQ.
If you run into any technical issues, please ask in the #discord-help channel. If you’re having trouble accessing the Discord server, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your Discord username.
Changing Classes To take even more fun classes
You can remove classes and add classes that have open space on the Onsite Page, the same place you view your schedule.
Additional Tips You’re pretty amazing
- To contact your teachers outside of class, use our class mailing lists. For example, to email the teachers for the class with the code M12345, your teachers' email will be M12345email@example.com.
- Some of your larger classes may be formatted as Zoom webinars.
- In a Zoom Webinar, you won’t be able to turn on your video or unmute yourself. Instead, you’ll have access to a “Q&A” function, which looks similar to the chat. Please ask any questions there!
More ESP subliminal message to join more ESP programs
If you’re enjoying Splash, consider purchasing the official Splash 2020 T-shirt! The T-shirts will be sold at $14.34 (including shipping and handling) and will be sold until Sunday the 15th at 11:59 EST.
If you’re interested in signing up for Splash programs run by other schools, take a look at this page!
If you’re interested in winning some cute axolotl plushies this weekend, there are two ways to do so. You can write for ESP’s blog, The Ripple by emailing a submission to firstname.lastname@example.org before 12/1, or you can customize an axolotl Zoom background and share it to the Discord channel #axolotl-sharing. We’ll be sending plushies to the creators of select blog entries and backgrounds, so get creating!
Help, I can’t join my class! Don’t worry, it’ll be okay :)
First, please make sure that your name matches your name on the website (as described here). If your name is correct and you are still not let into your class 5 minutes after it begins, contact us.