ADC-IARPC Vocabularies and Semantics Working Group


Meeting Agenda & Minutes

When

2019-10-15 17:00 UTC (11:00 AM MDT and 19:00 CEST)

WhereOne tap mobile

+16699006833,,373253331# US (San Jose)

+16465588656,,373253331# US (New York)

Dial by your location

            +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

Ruth Duerr is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Polar Semantics

Time: Oct 15, 2019 11:00 AM Mountain Time (US and Canada)

            Every month on the Third Tue, until Mar 17, 2020, 6 occurrence(s)

            Oct 15, 2019 11:00 AM

            Nov 19, 2019 11:00 AM

            Dec 17, 2019 11:00 AM

            Jan 21, 2020 11:00 AM

            Feb 18, 2020 11:00 AM

            Mar 17, 2020 11:00 AM

Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.

Monthly: https://cuboulder.zoom.us/meeting/vpMudeyrrTgrLcVed-epXm_RAJjwkuxW2g/ics?icsToken=d453dbe67cbb3fcb80ba8a5c59ef38cc82404e4c43cf9d6b20d6d96a449d82c7

Join Zoom Meeting

https://cuboulder.zoom.us/j/373253331

Meeting ID: 373 253 331

            +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)

Meeting ID: 373 253 331

Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/aeih4mbzSw

Join by SIP

373253331@zoomcrc.com

Join by H.323

162.255.37.11 (US West)

162.255.36.11 (US East)

221.122.88.195 (China)

115.114.131.7 (India)

213.19.144.110 (EMEA)

103.122.166.55 (Australia)

209.9.211.110 (Hong Kong)

64.211.144.160 (Brazil)

69.174.57.160 (Canada)

207.226.132.110 (Japan)

Meeting ID: 373 253 331

Preliminary agenda (and minutes)

  1. Round table (who is attending)
  1. Shannon, Pier, Ruth, Øystein, Peter Pulsifer, Allison Gaylord, Siri Jodha Singh Khalsa
  1. Adoption of agenda
  1. Approved
  1. Review of minutes of previous meeting
  1. 2019-09-17
  1. Approved
  1. Review of action items
  1. Ruth action item once Pip is done with matrix to assess to see what info can gleaned - provide to Peter/Øystein when complete.  Hard deadline of Oct. 15
  1. Ruth presented the matrix.
  2. Ruth suggested that everyone checks their records.
  3. Closing task.
  1. Peter/Øystein to review results of the previous step and add anything from their work.
  1. Still pending.
  1. Peter/Mark Parsons to talk to Peter Fox re students to do this (modelling/visualisation the matrix from 4b) work
  1. Brendan Billingsley is being funded to help with this.  Needs two or more weeks lead time - given Oct. 15 as start date
  2. On hold, pending review of matrix
  1. Pier Luigi to keep this group informed when the MOSAIC folks start moving on this.
  1. Keeping this open as an ongoing task
  2. Pier Luigi informed the group that he will be meeting with MOSAiC data team on August 27th. The meeting agenda is here:
  1. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uBpUTjTQAvHrH1jCy_lXy9ak-iqCEFI9848FNaKro5k/edit
  2. He has already had two meetings with PANGAEA staff to warm up the issue and there is general acknowledgement of the need for improved interoperability
  3. He has received a list of parameters, but still doesn’t quite know how to access these via the web rather than a spreadsheet - there is an internal PANGAEA system, but how that can be used for interoperation is not clear, despite the mapping of multiple vocabs/ontologies to it
  4. Pier will update minutes with names and email addresses
  1. DONE
  1. He is not sure on the relation between PANGAEA and DataONE in this context
  1. Convert to ongoing task: Linking MOSAiC parameter terminology to Polar Semantics resources
  1. Decided in this meeting.
  1. Siri Jodha mentioned that YOPP and MOSAiC are coordinating on data policy and procedures, including semantics.
  1. He will check whether the MOSAiC draft data policy document can be shared.
  1. https://spaces.awi.de/download/attachments/304715746/MOSAiC_DataPolicy.pdf 
  2. Done
  1. The YOPPSiteMIP group has a google doc with all the variables, by forecast center and observatory with columns for name in code, CF standard name, Long Name. will check on when this will be made public
  2. MIchael Ray Gallagher has code to generate MODFs (Merged Observatory Data Files) from this spreadsheet, will make this public on github soon
  3. Peter informed that there is an opportunity to engage at the planning stage of a related project, T-MOSAIC.  Members of ADC-IARPC Semantics WG are encouraged to engage in the newly forming T-MOSAIC data management group that will be working to develop (adopt) policy, establish “best practices” etc.  There is an opportunity to influence adoption of semantics and other DM methods/practices within T-MOSAIC.  Please contact Peter if you are interested in engaging or know someone who is.
  1. Shannon to follow up on the Polar Semantic Questionnaire with the Polar Libraries Colloquy.
  1. Pending report - doesn’t think that many people responded, will prod next Thursday
  1. Missed this meeting due to other commitments. Will follow up.
  1. Still pending.
  1. Polar Vocabularies Questionnaire.
  1. New task in last meeting.
  2. Ruth to glean from matrix any semantic info and add to questionnaire
  3. Pending, set deadline in next meeting following the Third Polar Data Forum.
  1. Ruth  to schedule a 2-3 hour telecon try for next week - doodle poll
  1. Make sure outputs are CC0 or PDM
  2. Done closing this task.
  1. Ruth/Øystein investigate what is up with the Google group
  1. The reason is that the email prepared for this meeting with agenda and connection details was stuck in the Google system awaiting approval of a moderator.
  2. All members should be able to send without approval.
  1. Ruth  to schedule another 2-3 hour telecon discussing the programme for the semantic training and hackathon session before Monday using doodle poll.
  1. New task in this meeting.
  2. Make sure outputs are CC0 or PDM (keeping this information).
  3. Done, closing this task.
  1. Ruth to update the outline of the semantics training/hackathon session following the  telcos.
  1. New task in this meeting.
  1. Add the topic of how to measure FAIRness and relevant activities addressing this to the agenda for next month
  1. New task in this meeting.
  1. Third Polar Data Forum (TPDF)
  1. Background
  1. One pager on semantics.
  2. Addressing a more detailed agenda and the logistics aspects of the hackathon.
  1. Linkage with federated search session?
  1. Yes
  1. It is yet not clear how this linkage will be done, no response received so far.
  1. It might be good to have an introductory package sent out before the hackathon.
  1. Shannon to help prepping a package of docs for the semantics session
  1. Preliminary schedule
  1. Half day Intro session
  2. Half day joint federated and semantics focused on schema.org (including the Arctic Spatial Data Infrastructure (ASDI) group)
  3. Half day data interoperability session - ENVO/SWEET, etc.
  1. Ruth to update the outline of the semantics training/hackathon session following the  telcos.
  2. Ruth will invite to a new telco discussing the agenda and contributions.
  1. Peter want this before Monday
  1. A preliminary outline exist, Ruth will clean this before it is shared wider.
  2. Peter has shared a number of presentations with material that can be reused.
  3. The joint coding session is in the afternoon of the 20th.
  1. https://polar-data-forum.org/program/
  1. Status of responses to the Polar Vocabularies questionnaire
  1. Survey is available here:  https://tinyurl.com/PolarVocabs
  1. Results are here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1623mpRjWQcIIDY_zWp_cBOCpFEaADhs4GwoJOMHS-gg/edit#gid=2003460971
  1. Potential input could also be provided by the community Shannon is contacting.
  1. Pending report - she will ping them this week
  1. Potential input could also be gleaned from the EarthCube Resource Registry once it is in operation.
  2. Status is as before - keeping this task open.
  1. Awareness updates (roundtable)
  1. Ruth: informed that Gary Berg-Cross arranged a Vocamp (see github repo for topics, e.g. glaciers, hydrology), working on developing patterns for “processes”. Semantic Harmonisation cluster starting up in ESIP to continue the work of the hackathon series and then expand upon it. http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Schema.org_Cluster Cross-linking to schema.org and understanding how bioschemas arranged their extension - what can we do for Earth observations?
  2. Peter: presented to IASC council updating them on the activities in this group and the PDF. Very positive feedback from multiple council members, seem to be “getting” data now and paying attention. Asked what they could do to help. The budget allocated to IASC sponsored projects was noted, and they noted that they will formally consider that. Much improvement on status of years past.
  3. Pier: Participated in a CODATA DDI sponsored workshop at Dagstuhl:  https://www.dagstuhl.de/en/program/calendar/evhp/?semnr=19413. Good steps forward in creating an overall architecture for semantic interoperability with UN bodies, science bodies, and others (e.g. via schema.org, Google represented). Documents available via the website.
  4. Allison: Bill and Allison met with NSF Program Officer Roberto Delgado on NSF’s Navigating the New Arctic (NNA) program stressing the need for interoperability and semantics to be part of the data management from the beginning.
  5. Øystein: Participated in a joint workshop between WMO and the CF governance committee looking at necessary steps to make NetCDF/CF a more formal data representation within WMO. Issues addressed include: semantics of CF standard variable names linked to WMO vocabularies used within WIGOS and WIS. In order to facilitate this an expert team is proposed. TOR are drafted and focus on identification of WMO profiles of CF usage in WMO, potential needs for extensions, and how to link with ongoing efforts in the WMO information system. Good interaction across communities in the workshop, the interesting part is now implementation. It is important to find a good collaboration model to buffer between the community-based and strict governance of the CF and WMO communities respectively. Within EU-PolarNet a deliverable focusing on input to a European Polar Research Programme is under development. A separate question is dedicated to how to address FAIR data principles for polar research (including the social science domain). The deliverable will focus on what should be addressed in the future and how issues can be solved. The available space is very limited as the target audience is policy makers.
  6. SiriJodha mentioned the current discussion on FAIR metrics taking place in the RDA FAIR Data Maturity Model Working Group, a lot of it around community standards for vocabularies metadata, which might be relevant to Øystein’s deliverable for WMO. Laura will be at RDA next week. A good session to catch is during breakout 7: JOINT MEETING - Metadata Standards Catalog WG, Metadata IG, Data in Context IG, FAIR Data Maturity Model WG, ESIP/AGU/RDA Enabling FAIR Data Coordination Group: Metadata for FAIR Data, FAIRSharing Registry: connecting data policies, standards & databases WG | Room: Undergraduate Center - U149 (Konecranes)
  1. Next meeting
  1. Agreed to do the third Tuesday of the month, at 1700 UTC.
  1. Will move to 19:00 UTC (20:00 CET, 12:00 MST)
  1. Next meeting will be November 26th due to collision TPDF
  2. Since not everyone is using Slack, emails should be circulated for each meeting.