Things to think about:
- Broadband access at home? Kajeet, hotspots
- LTE enabled devices (Kajeet CTL CB, Samsung CB Plus V2)
- Loaner devices to students.
- Tech support for students and staff while remote.
- Security of data on home networks and devices.
- Connecting into internal networks? VPN, Citrix, etc.
- Tracking devices and managing them remotely: Lightspeed, GoGuardian and more.
- Childcare issues? Can school help find options?
- Missing meals? School support for students who typically eat at school.
- Professional Development to help teachers transition and modify their lessons to support this.
- Follow the same time schedule as in person? Login at specific times, live chat.
- Technology (online) vs paper packets sent home. Mix it up. Don’t have students online in video chats all day.
- Record instructions and help so students can watch any time.
- Support for special education and special needs students is critical.
- Providing rich, engaging lessons online vs. simple exercises.
- Explicit instructions and expectations for all.
Free offers from EdTech Companies
- EdTech Companies offering free subscriptions during closure due to COVID19: Nearpod, Pear Deck, Kami, Techsmith, EdPuzzle, Buncee, BrainPop, Kahoot, and more.
- EdTech companies offering FREE support and/or access to schools affected by COVID19 closures: Breakout EDU, Audible (audio books), PD, Lexia Learning, ClassWize, SEL resources, Zearn Math and more.
- Bolded items below are also regarding free offers to schools.
- WeVideo is offering support to schools affected by COVID-19 - free WeVideo for School accounts to those closed due to COVID-19 concerns.
- Adobe Creative Cloud - Students now have free, personal in-home access to Adobe Creative Cloud in place of their schools’ in-classroom licenses through May 31, 2020 and offer free 90-day access to Adobe Connect, our web conferencing solution.
- Autodesk Sketchbook - art and drawing - SketchBook for Enterprise is free for education
- RingCentral Offers 3 Months of Free VoIP to Organizations Impacted by COVID-19 - K-12 teachers, healthcare providers, and non-profits burdened by the pandemic can sign up for three months of free video conferencing and team messaging.
- Book Creator - offer everyone the ability to collaborate together on books in real-time. offering 90 days free use of this tool, to help keep students and teachers connected.
- Cisco - providing free 90-day licenses to new customers. Current customers extended free licenses and expanded usage counts at no extra charge for Umbrella, Duo Security, AnyConnect Moiblity.
- Explain Everything - offering extended free access to Explain Everything Whiteboard, a versatile tool which can be used for online school scenarios.
- VMware - To help customers get started with Virtual Desktops (VDI) and applications as a remote workforce solution, we are offering Horizon Cloud on Microsoft Azure for 45 days free of charge.
- GoGuardian - Free to new customers, additional tools and licenses for current customers.
- Teq - OTIS for educators is now free - all of our PD courses FREE to help schools implement distance learning and online professional development.
- Lightspeed - extend free trials to customers until the end of the school year on both Relay and Relay Classroom. And a Remote Learning Toolkit with general resources and tips.
- ReadyLearnerOne (PD, EdTech) In response to the current crisis, the Ready Learner One team is offering complimentary instructional support for any educator who has a need.
- Neverware - free Home Edition for students - If students have older laptops at home, our free CloudReady Home Edition can turn those devices into fast, secure Chrome devices in just minutes.
- Discovery Education - offering free access to Discovery Education Experience through the remainder of the school year.
- Promethean’s cloud-based lesson planning and delivery software, ClassFlow, is freely available to schools, teachers, and parents to drive remote learning amid the COVID-19 outbreak.
General Tips and Resources:
- Remote Learning Challenges and solutions - lots of things to think about with tips.
- School Leaders’ Toolkit for Responding to COVID-19
- Resources for Teaching Online
- Tips and Strategies for Remote Learning (March 2020)
- Factors to Consider When Preparing for E-Learning
- TechForLearners - Online learning products, resources, & services - As part of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy COVID-19 technology initiative, tech companies were asked to help make online learning resources more accessible to administrators, teachers, parents and students
- Stanford University Online High School - Creating an Online Classroom
- Teaching Through Coronavirus: What Educators Need Right Now
- JSTOR - digital library of academic resources - more than 6,000 ebooks and 150 journals available
- CK-12 - great online resources - e-texts, simulations, quizzes, virtual labs, lesson plans and much more - and always free!
- PhET - free (always) math and science activities and simulations
- OER Commons - public digital library of open educational resources
- Free online Ivy League Courses - great for high school and college
- SETDA Digital Instructional Materials resource - inclement weather
- Tips and Tools for Teaching Remotely - Richard Byrne - PracticalEdTech.com
- Teaching Online - tips and resources podcast from Richard Byrne
- 75 Digital Tools and Apps Teachers Can Use to Support Formative Assessment in the Classroom
- 16 Free Resources for Schools Who are Closing Due to Coronavirus
- The Dos and Don'ts of Distance Learning in a Pandemic
- Resources For Teaching Online Due To School Closures
- Online learning helps schools overcome distance, weather, war and pandemics (2017)
- 10 Strategies for Leading Online When School is Closed
- How to Do Virtual Parent - Teacher Conferences
- Teaching Online A Step-By-Step Course to Launch and Lead An Equitable Online Classroom (free)
- COVID-19 Online Learning Resources and FAQ
- Teq - Complimentary OTIS online PD
- NY RICs Google Classroom Resource
- NY RIC One Data Protection & Continuity of Learning.
- NY WNYRIC Online Learning Toolkit
- SETDA Coalition for E-Learning - The SETDA Coalition for eLearning focuses state leaders, affiliates, and partners in collective action around teaching and learning in the digital age.
- ITI Launches COVID-19 Tech Tools Clearinghouse - Site includes help for businesses, schools and government
- Digital Resources to Engage Learners In and Out of the Classroom
- Learning Doesn't Need to Stop if School is Closed - It Really Doesn't!
- Check out 25 Best Websites for Teachers via @Scholastic
- Digital Learning Day - collection of digital tools and lesson plans
- Knowt Will Turn Your Notes and Favorite Web pages Into Quizzes for You
- Per Microsoft, they are also rolling out an update to the free version of Teams that will allow unlimited members to a team, as well as video/voice conferencing.