Medical Billing Specialist
Westside Children’s Therapy
Westside Children’s Therapy is a leading provider of pediatric therapy in Illinois. Westside's services include physical, occupational, speech, behavior, feeding, and neurofeedback therapy to children with developmental disabilities. Westside operates private therapy clinics in the suburbs of Chicago.
Medical Billing Specialist Position
Westside Children’s Therapy seeks an individual responsible for ensuring all of our clinics’ patient can continuously receive the services that they need without disruption. The Medical Billing Specialist will work directly with insurance companies and patients to ensure that patients accounts remain accurate. We pride ourselves on our strong reputation for collaborating productively with insurance companies and our patients.
Core Values & Beliefs
1. RELATIONSHIPS - Westside believes in helping its patients families feel supported, so much that patients consider Westside an extended member of their family and the clinic a second home.
2. TEAMWORK - Westside believes in the power of teamwork. We work together respectfully and refrain from actions that take away from becoming a more cohesive team. Our teams work together to provide the best possible, end-to-end experience.
3. COMMUNICATION - Westside believes in continuous improvement through constructive feedback and open communication. We feel comfortable identifying opportunities for Westside to get better, and we communicate ideas with a positive, forward-thinking attitude. We always communicate professionally and proactively.
4. GROWTH - Westside believes in growth both for employees as individuals and over the long term, of the organization. Without growth, we restrict the collective impact we can have on children in need.
5. ATTITUDE - Westside believes in creating a "work hard, have fun" culture where employees genuinely enjoy coming to work and being part of the Westside family. Each employee's attitude positively strengthens the culture.
6. INITIATIVE - Westside values action and decisiveness over inaction. We neither let issues linger nor emptily complain. Instead, we develop solutions and act.
7. EFFICIENCY - Westside does not exist to maximize profit, yet we must nonetheless be an efficient, productive, and profitable business, or else we limit our ability to achieve our purpose.
Westside Children's Therapy provides high quality pediatric therapy and fosters a family-centered environment.
Company Current Mission
Westside's current mission is to become the most respected and admired pediatric therapy company in the Chicagoland area. Amid growth, Westside will remain vigilant in prioritizing our sole purpose of providing the highest quality pediatric therapy experience.
Our culture is non-negotiable. We love it too much. If you are uncomfortable with anything we do, that’s okay. We might not be the best fit for you. But if you read this and jump with excitement, then let’s talk. This is who we are:
- We laugh a lot at work and think that work without laughing feels too empty
- We take our jobs seriously but not ourselves
- We sometimes forget that “our kids” are not really our kids
- We get really excited about throwing a Halloween party in our parking lot every year
- We provide stipends for coworkers to go out to dinner together
- We don’t like big egos or people feeling like “their status” makes them exceptional – we view ourselves as an equal team all fighting for the same thing: great quality of care
- We occasionally hide links to “Rick Roll” videos in our email chains
- Sometimes we play oversized Jenga before we leave the office on our early release Fridays
- We seem to have a strange proclivity for pranks
- We once had a staff meeting interrupted by a singing woman dressed in a chicken suit (people shrugged off that experience alarmingly quickly)
- We are almost universally Blackhawks fans and will go to games for staff events
- One of our favorite staff events is going to a Cubs rooftop for a game even though half the time is spent stopping for bathroom breaks on the way there
- Our co-workers are our friends
- We are authentic
- We hug a lot
- We think big
- We are willing to be vulnerable and give/receive feedback frequently
- We think of ourselves as a “Team of Teams” – inspired by a book from our monthly book club
- We are solution oriented, not complaint-oriented
- We are not afraid to make mistakes, and we openly admit to our mistakes
- We are proactive and prefer action over inaction
- We treat all disciplines and teams as equal – that especially includes our billing and admin teams. They rock just as much as our therapists.
- We live with deep passion – if you’re going to spend the majority of your week doing something, you might as well spend that time making a huge impact!
- Excellent interpersonal skills - an ability to build relationships quickly with parents and families. The first impression is key and you should be great at making families feel great about Westside.
- Effective communication skills - an ability to engage productively in new conversations with families, clients, and co-workers.
- Have a strong ethical and moral compass - having instincts to always do right by co-workers, patients, families, and medical professionals and to never stray from the business’s core mission of helping families
- Have a genuine passion for helping children with special needs - if knowing that your efforts are impacting the lives of children with special needs doesn’t truly warm your heart, then this is NOT the role for you
- Have enormous sense of possibility and an unwavering can-do attitude - a challenge should excite you. We are looking for problem-solvers who are eager to “figure out a way” when given problems to solve.
- Humility - an inclination to give credit to others when things go well and to look to self as a possible source of blame when things go wrong.
Medical Billing Specialist Responsibilities
Responsibility #1:Prepare, review, and submit patient or denial claims
- Form knowledge on insurance billing policies and reimbursement schedule
- Determine reimbursements owed to patients
- Enters information necessary for insurance claims such as patient, insurance ID, diagnosis, and provider information
- Prepares appeal letters to insurance carrier when not in agreement with claim denial. Collect necessary information to accompany appeals
Responsibility #2: Record payments into electronic billing system
- Have basic computer knowledge and ability to record payment information into billing system
- Add new patients to internal electronic billing systems and update status accordingly
- Enter charges accurately and expeditiously to ensure proper records handling and fast payment responses
Responsibility #3: Process and mail patient statements
- Prepares patient statements for charges not covered by insurance. Insures statements are mailed on a regular basis
Responsibility #4: Assist families with payment plans and inquiries
- Collect delinquent accounts by establishing payment arrangements with patients; monitoring payments; following up with patients when payment lapses occur.
- Work with patients to establish payment plan for accounts in accordance with provider policies
- Answer patient questions on patient responsible portions, copays, deductibles, write-off’s, etc. Resolves patient complaints or explains why certain services are not covered
Responsibility #5: Contribute to the Team
- Participate in weekly team meetings. Meetings typically discuss caseloads, new patients, new ideas, team outings, etc.
- Participation in these meetings is extremely important to increase the quality of care for the kids.
Responsibility #6: Grow as a Medical Billing Specialist
- Participates in continuing education for professional development to ensure therapy quality is improving.
- Employees are invited to participate in yearly career conversations with managers. Career goals, promotion opportunities, and current performance are discussed in these meetings. We make sure you are on track to get where you want to be.
Compensation: Competitive and commensurate with qualifications
Please e-mail resumes (including salary expectations) to:
Additional company information may be found at