ADC-IARPC Vocabularies and Semantics Working Group


Meeting Agenda & Minutes

When

2019-01-22 18:00 UTC (11 am Mountain time)

Where

Join Zoom Meeting

https://cuboulder.zoom.us/j/6557451500

One tap mobile

+16699006833,,6557451500# US (San Jose)

+16465588656,,6557451500# US (New York)

Dial by your location

            +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

            +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)

Meeting ID: 655 745 1500

Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/FMIe7

Join by SIP

6557451500@zoomcrc.com

Join by H.323

162.255.37.11 (US West)

162.255.36.11 (US East)

221.122.88.195 (China)

115.114.131.7 (India)

213.19.144.110 (EMEA)

202.177.207.158 (Australia)

209.9.211.110 (Hong Kong)

64.211.144.160 (Brazil)

69.174.57.160 (Canada)

Meeting ID: 655 745 1500

Preliminary agenda (and minutes)

  1. Round table (who is attending)
  1. Ruth Duerr, Bill Manley, Paul Thompson, Peter Pulsifer
  2. Apologies from Shannon Christoffersen who will be bringing the survey to the National Data Services Framework Summit (Canada) on Thursday and will send it out to Polar Libraries Colloquy members
  3. Ruth
  1. Reported on the ESIP meeting held last week.  A more or less one day mini-hackathon was held on Monday.  In attendance were Gary Berg-Cross, Charles Vardeman, Ruth Duerr, Anne Thessen (virtually), Pier Luigi Buttigieg (virtually).  Roughly 400 or so axioms and definitions in ENVO were added or changed to be released in the next version.  Several issues were written for both ENVO (https://github.com/EnvironmentOntology/envo) and SWEET https://github.com/ESIPFed/sweet/, with notes being taken on the VoCamp hackathon site at https://github.com/Vocamp/ESIPWinter2019.
  2. The 2nd US Semantic Technologies Symposium US2TS workshop will be held March 11-13, 2019 at Duke University in Durham, NC.  Unfortunately she doesn’t have funding to attend.
  1. Peter
  1. In Bremen for INTAROS assembly a couple of weeks ago - they are working on infrastructure with 47 partners in Europe;
  2. Discussed semantic plans with Pier while in Bremen
  3. Following up on Geneva meeting on more detailed report - a brief report went out earlier - he and Øystein are working on diagrams from that meeting and would like to present results here at our next meeting
  1. Paul
  1. Working on a workshop on cyberinfrastructure in rural Alaska.  Talked to Colleen Strawhacker (NSF, Arctic Social Science Program) about it, so still moving forward possibly.
  2. Noted that there are two health related workshops in Fairbanks this spring.
  3. Has started talking to Martin Jeffries at Cold Regions Research Lab
  1. Adoption of agenda
  1. adopted
  1. Review of minutes of previous meeting
  1. 2018-12-18
  1. Approved
  1. Status of responses to the Polar Vocabularies questionnaire at https://tinyurl.com/PolarVocabs
  1. No new responses
  2. Ruth action item once Pip is done with matrix to assess to see what info can gleaned - provide to Peter/Øystein when complete
  3. Peter/Øystein to review and add anything from their work
  4. Any possibility of getting a volunteer/student to actually go work on this?
  1. Peter to talk to Mark/Peter Fox re students
  2. ELOKA intern over summer?
  1. Initial discussion on the outcome of discussions on semantics at the Polar Data Planning Summit and Polar Data System Architecture Workshop
  1. Really the lesson learned is that training is needed for the data manager community
  1. Awareness updates (roundtable)
  1. Peter - working with European folks on a third polar data forum likely in November in Helsinki
  1. Action items:
  1. All - What meetings might have several Polar folks in the May-June time frame where we could pull a meeting together…?  If you know of any please post to our mailing list.
  1. Next meeting
  1. Agreed to do the third Tuesday of the month, at 1800 UTC.
  2. Next meeting will be February 19