April 10, 2022
Dear Ferndale High School Students & Families,
Spring has arrived and we are heading toward the end of our school year together. Our school community continues to grow and adjust to being in-person fully after a year and half of remote and hybrid learning.
Our student council, FHSUSA, is organizing a charity week at the end of this month. We look forward to enjoying all of our events organized by students for our students that will most certainly add joy within our building.
Thank you for your partnership,
Principal, Ferndale High School
Desk Phone: 248.586.8622
Google Voice Phone/Text: 248.916.9229
- April is state testing month for Ferndale High School: In order to maximize our learning time in the classrooms, FHS will be administering PSAT 9, PSAT 10, and SAT of the state testing on April 13th.
- Class of 2022 - 12th Grade: We are going to spend the next few weeks celebrating our soon to be alumni! May holds many of our celebrations. Check out the senior calendar of events for updates on upcoming events at bit.ly/FHSsenior2022.
- Class of 2023 - 11th Grade: Mark your calendars for May 6th for your prom! Information and details will be shared via Remind. As you prepare for next year, check out resources in the Canvas “Counseling Corner” course. Here is an example: https://www.commonapp.org/plan/your-path-to-college
- Class of 2024 - 10th Grade & Class of 2025 - 9th Grade: As you prepare for next year, check out resources in the Canvas “Counseling Corner” course. Here is an example: https://www.commonapp.org/plan/your-path-to-college
- Charity Week is the last week of April: Your student council, FHSUSA is organizing a memorable week for our school. The two charities we are going supporting are Michigan Foster Care Closet & National Indigenous Women’s Resource Center. We look forward to Eagle Emmy’s, Exile Island, and many more opportunities. Information will be shared via Remind & during Impact.
- Michigan Council of Women in Technology offers a variety of opportunities, including virtual courses, camps, and grants. Check them out at https://www.mcwt.org/programs/list/K-12-Initiatives
- Interested in a career in education? Ferndale Schools offers a Future Teacher Scholarship.
- Who is eligible to apply? Any Ferndale Public Schools Senior who is planning to enter an education program and pursue a career in the teaching profession is eligible to apply for this scholarship in honor of the teachers of the Ferndale Public Schools.
- What is expected? Applicants must be willing to speak to the Ferndale Public Schools teachers and staff at their year-end Staff Recognition Event (depending on COVID) held on the last day of school each year. They will be asked to describe those Ferndale Public Schools teachers who inspired them to enter the teaching profession in a brief (5-10 minute) speech.
- Who will be awarded? One student from Ferndale High School, University High School, and the Tri-County Education Center will be selected and each will be awarded a $500 scholarship.
- How to apply? Please email email@example.com one page document (12 point font, 1.5 spacing) to describe why you want to be a teacher, where you plan to study, the Ferndale Public Schools teachers who inspired you to follow in their footsteps (K-12), and why.
- When is it due? All submissions must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 29, 2022.
- If you are selected for this scholarship, these teachers will be invited to be in the audience, if at all possible, but your speech and scholarship award will be a surprise to them.
- Science Connections: Inspired by the NCAA College Basketball's March Madness, FHS biology classes are engaged in March MAMMAL Madness. The MMM is an annual tournament of *simulated* combat competition among animals. Scientific literature is cited to substantiate likely outcomes between the two species' attributes within the battle environment. Attributes considered in calculating battle outcomes include temperament, weaponry, armor, body mass, running speed, fight style, physiology, and motivation. The biology students each had 2 "combatants" to research and make posters about that were then used to inform others as they filled in their brackets. Each week in March the simulated battles occur and students update their brackets. Learning, fun and friendly competition ensues!
- Congratulations Robotics Team impi warriors for a great season! Our Robotics Team built and programmed a driving robot in 9 weeks, and over the spring break, they had TWO district competitions.
- Our Robotics Warriors Team was a DISTRICT WINNER at the FIM Belleville District. There was an alliance of 4 teams for this win.
- Our Robotics Warriors Team WON the “Creativity Award” sponsored by Rockwell Automation at the FIM Troy District, The award celebrates the creativity that enhances the strategy of play and was intentionally designed and not discovered.
- As a result of his outstanding performance at the 2022 Michigan State Band and Orchestra Association (MSBOA) State Solo/Ensemble Festival, Mitchell Owens (senior trumpet player) was selected as a member of the MSBOA Spring Honors Festival Honors Band or Orchestra!
- The Bel Canto choir earned an "excellent" rating, which is a "1", based upon their performance on stage and in the sight reading room before break.
- Our Ferndale Winterguard earned 8th place out of 10 in their class at the MCGC State Finals over Spring Break!
- Bebe Butters once again became a State Finalist at the Michigan DECA Career Development Conference winning in the Quick Serve Restaurant Management event. This qualifies her to compete at the International Career Development Conference held in Atlanta, GA.
- Easter Seals Miracle League has begun! Miracle League removes the barriers and allows special needs children to experience the joy of America’s pastime. It is about making new friends, building self-esteem, and being treated just like their peers. To help the athletes, the Miracle League of Michigan uses a “buddy” system - pairing each player with an able-bodied peer. As a result, the parents, children, adults, and volunteers are brought together in a program that enriches the lives of those with any disability. Miracle League can also be a perfect place for school groups, clubs, and organizations to plug in and volunteer or receive community service hours!
April: National Women’s History Month, Irish American Heritage Month
April 7, 4-7pm: Young Voices: Dialogues Spoken Through Art - The Southeast Oakland Coalition brings you 'Young Voices' where students coping with the unusual events in our world are expressing their voices through art. Students from Ferndale High School, Ferndale Middle School, University High School, CASA and TCEC will be showcasing their work at Level One Bank (22635 Woodward Ave., Ferndale).
April 13: Spring Testing Day - PSAT 9, PSAT 10, SAT with Essay
April 15: NO SCHOOL for Students, Professional Learning day for Staff
April 25 - 29: Charity Week hosted by student council, FHSUSA. This week will include spirit days:
- April 25 - Monday - PAJAMA DAY (Wear comfy and cozy wear that is school appropriate)
- April 26 - Tuesday - ANYTHING BUT A BACKPACK DAY (Students transport their supplies/material around with anything but a backpack)
- April 27 - Wednesday - HAT/HOODS DAY (Allowed to wear hats/hoods)
- April 28 - Thursday - THROWBACK THURSDAY (Dress in your best pre-2010 clothes?)
- April 29 - Friday - DRIP/DRESS TO IMPRESS DAY (Dress in your best outfit, like you are going to receive an award!)
May: Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month, Better Hearing & Speech Month, National Mental Health Awareness, National Physical Fitness & Sports Month
May 2 - 5: National Teacher Appreciation Week
May 18: Last Day for Class of 2022 Students
May 27: Half Day of School
May 30: NO SCHOOL, Memorial Day
GRADES & ATTENDANCE: Every parent and guardian has access to student attendance, grades, assignments, and more! For attendance, log into MISTAR parent portal. For assignments and grades, log into Canvas.
REMIND: Being in virtual learning has created a greater reliance on digital communication. School related information is being shared through Remind. If you haven’t already, set up your Remind account by visiting www.remind.com/log_in or downloading the app at www.remind.com/send_the_app. You can personalize your settings to receive an email, text, or both.
Students need to click on “Log in with Google” to use their Ferndale account to sign in. This will connect them with each of their teachers automatically.
COUNSELING CORNER: Your counselors continue to update the Counseling Corner course in Canvas. This is accessible to both students and caregivers.
FHS SCHOOL SITE: Visit this site for general information about schedule, policies, and events at www.ferndaleschools.org/schools/fhs.
WEEKLY ANNOUNCEMENTS VIA REMIND: bit.ly/EagleAnnouncements These announcements will also be shared during Impact Eagle Time and Impact SEL.