HELP WANTED: All Stars Head Coach (VOLUNTEER)
Do you love roller derby? Do you love pushing athletes to the next level? Do you like long walks on the beach? We can’t help you with that last one, but if you answered yes to one of the first two questions, this listing may be for you! The Cornfed Derby Dames of Muncie, IN are seeking a Head Coach for the Cornfed All Stars competitive roller derby A Team.
- The All Stars Head Coach is responsible for preparing roller derby athletes for athletic competition in compliance with the Women’s Flat Track Derby Association (WTFDA) rules and regulations as well as the Cornfed Derby Dames Code of Conduct and Bylaws. The A Team coach is also responsible for implementing techniques and strategies to support a competitive season. The season generally runs from October to July with bouts beginning in February.
- The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated knowledge of roller derby rules and strategies. They will also have a proven success rate with managing teams.
- Attends Cornfed charter and league practices, scrimmages and bouts
- Establishes and evaluates goals for Cornfed athletes
- Provides players within the moment and periodic one on one feedback
- Directs implementation of roller derby skills and strategies based on current WFTDA ruleset and game play strategies from top teams internationally
- Develops training plans and manages practice time effectively
- Will plan Charter Practices once a week and may plan additional entire practices by requesting to do so with the practice committee
- Reviews and assesses game play footage of team and opponents and attends bout recaps when able
- Implements competitive game plans and rosters
- Holds players accountable for performance and attitude and enforces disciplinary action when appropriate
- Other duties as assigned
- The All Stars Head Coach is responsible for managing the coaching staff for the All Stars’ games and ensuring compliance with League training methods and strategies.
- Roller derby and/or experience coaching in some official capacity encouraged but not required for the right candidate
- Ability to objectively evaluate physical performance and mental capacities related to the league
- Ability to teach skills by breaking them down and building on them
- Knowledge of WTFDA rules and regulations including the WFTDA Safety Protocol and must be able to pass the current WFTDA Skater Rules Test (80% or higher)
- Ability to learn and implement strategy
- Effective organizational and planning skills
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective and fair working relationships with athletes, volunteers, staff and the public, within a diverse participant population
- Ability to lead and manage change in a positive and inclusive manner
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with the Missfits Head Coach for success of the league
- Availability to work evenings and weekend
- Ability to travel locally and nationally for team practices and competitions
- Physical ability to participate in all facets of training and competition
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the responsibilities, duties, skills and physical demands required volunteer personnel so classified
- Practices are held 3-4 times a week, currently Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday with one being a Charter-only practice, one a B team-only practice, and two league practices.
- Roughly 5-8 bouts per season (Saturdays and Sundays)
- All Stars Coach is determined by LEAGUE vote and the position’s term runs for one season.
Please send professional resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be accepted through Monday, September 9, 2019.