General Body Meeting

09/23/18

9:00 PM Benjamin Franklin Room, Houston Hall

  1. Roll Call
  2. Open Forum
  3. Reports
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  1. APSC Contingency Request
  1. President’s Report
  1. Upcoming Meetings
  1. Vice President’s Report
  1. Upcoming UA Steering
  1. UA Report
  1. PSG Steering
  2. New Student Representatives
  3. Associate Member Application
  4. Membership Update
  5. Member of the Week
  1. Project Highlights
  1. Dining, Housing, and Transit
  1. Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering Study Halls
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Dining, Housing, and Transit
  1. UA Representation on Wharton Steering
  1. External Seats
  1. UC Committee on Campus and Community Life
  2. Dining Advisory Board
  3. Student Financial Services Advisory Board
  1. Communications

Reports


Treasurer’s Report

APSC Contingency Request

Authored by the UA Budget Committee

Group Name: APSC

Event Description: APSC will be hosting an event featuring Steven Lim from Buzzfeed. From the event proposal, "Steven Lim, executive producer at Buzzfeed and host of Worth It, will be coming to Penn on October 23rd. Steven will be speaking about his identity and his role in the media industry, as well as playing a short Worth It game! The event will be held in Houston Hall at 6PM. The event is open to all Penn students.” This is an event that will bring students of the API and other communities at Penn together.

Total Requested: $1600

Budget Committee Recommendation: $1600

Budget Committee Reasoning: The expenses being requested are in line with current Budget Committee Guidelines. This will bring the Contingency fund from $18,217 to $16,617.

Financial Overview:

President’s Report

  1. Upcoming Meetings
  1. UA Cabinet will be meeting with Student Registration and Financial Services on Tuesday, September 25.
  2. UA Cabinet will be meeting with Provost Wendell Pritchett and Vice Provost for Education Beth Winkelstein on September 28.

Vice-President’s Report

  1. Upcoming Steering Meeting
  1. On Tuesday, September 25, we will be holding UA Steering in JMHH 270 from 7:30-8:30PM. We will be joined by the Provost’s Office.

UA Report

  1. PSG Steering
  1. Last Sunday, September 16, PSG Steering met to discuss goals for the year and points of collaboration. PSG Steering is a group composed of the heads of all of the PSG branches, as well as the UA Speaker and NEC Vice Chair for Education (who chairs the meeting). The meeting is off-the-record, but broadly, we talked about our mutual goal for inter-branch collaboration and bonding. PSG Steering convenes every other week.
  1. New Student Representatives
  1. This Wednesday, September 26th at 8:00 PM, 9 New Student Representatives and 2 College Representatives will be elected to the Undergraduate Assembly. Look out for information on Welcome Week.
  1. Associate Member Application
  1. The Associate Member Application will open at 9:00 PM this Wednesday, September 26th on pennua.org. We will be advertising for this through the all-school email and Facebook. Be sure to tell your friends about this opportunity. Given the timeline, they will be added to the UA in time for Welcome Week.
  1. Membership Update
  1. On Monday, September 17th, Jason Kim resigned from the Undergraduate Assembly. He hopes to continue to assist UA members and see all of you in the future.
  1. Member of the Week
  1. This week’s member of the week is…


Project Highlights


Dining, Housing, and Transit

Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering Study Halls

Authored by: Priya Bhirgoo

This project is based on MEAM (Mechanical Engineering & Applied Mechanics) Study Halls. MEAM has study hours which are run from Monday to Thursday from 7pm to 9pm by juniors and seniors (known as MEAM mentors) who help their younger peers with homework and assignments. Every main course in MEAM has 2 tutors assigned. The MEAM mentors are paid $14 per hour. Moreover, this contributes to building stronger bonds between upperclassmen and underclassmen. This past week, I met with the CBE (Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering) undergraduate coordinator, Paulina Johnson, to discuss whether we could implement similar study hours for CBE. She discussed the idea with the CBE chair and with CBE professors. The idea was well received by the CBE Department, but due to payment application procedures, we can only start the project officially in Spring 2019.


Completion Reports


Dining, Housing, and Transit

UA Representation on Wharton Steering

Authored by: Maria Curry

Wharton Steering brings together leaders from most of the larger student clubs and organizations under the Wharton umbrella once per month to discuss relevant issues. For example, the change in Huntsman Hall hours were discussed in this forum this past Spring. Given the UA's relation to a lot of these topics and connection with the broader Penn community, I reached out to Wharton Director of Student Life, Lee Kramer to consider adding a permanent seat for a UA representative on Wharton Steering.

He agreed and I will be attending the first meeting of the semester October 12. The topic for this Wharton Steering meeting is "OCR; specifically, the advanced recruitment schedule, how best to prepare students for OCR, etc." Please reach out to me with your thoughts on this topic if you would like me to bring them up next month.


External Seats


UC Committee on Campus and Community Life

Authored by: Jess Andrews

 

On Monday, September 17, the University Council Committee on Campus and Community Life (UC CCCL) had its first meeting of the semester. We discussed the committee’s charges for the 2018-2019 academic year, which include matters concerning access to mental health services, Penn’s interactions and relationship with the surrounding communities in Philadelphia, the University’s internal communications, safety/security at Penn, and conditions and rules of undergraduate/graduate life. If anyone has more specific questions about these charges, please reach out to me after the meeting.

Dining Advisory Board

Authored by: Kevin Zhou

 

The theme of the Dining Advisory Board this year is building communities. We met on September 18, and proposed social events at dining halls such as jeopardy and quizzo, tables dedicated to meeting new people, DAB office hours, more foosball tables, and etc. Pam gave some summer updates: Houston increasing hours on Saturdays, guest swipes at Hillel (plus the surcharge), make-overs of Joe’s and Mark’s, more transparency on how waste is managed (better signs and people stationed near trash cans), and Bon Appetit transitioning to paper straws latest by Fall 2019 (have been giving out reusable straws at events). Let me know if you have any suggestions for our theme this year, or thoughts on any of the updates Pam gave.

Student Financial Services Advisory Board

Authored by: Max Grove

 

SRFS has released a new Net Price Calculator to help students estimate their Cost of Attendance. Please try the new calculator and compare it to the Federal Net Price Calculator and let me know of any recommendations (http://bit.ly/sfs-npc).


Minutes


  1. Roll Call
  1. Rupa from APSC
  2. Steven, our NEC Liaison
  3. Anthony Scarpone- Lambert, AM in EI  
  1. Open Forum
  1. Elena: As I was walking to the meeting, I noticed that there are no street lights near College Hall or the Love Statue. This made it very difficult to navigate in the dark. I think adding more to that area would definitely benefit the entire student body.
  2. Michael: We are co-sponsoring the Penn Leads Voter Registration event with GAPSA. This event will take place on Tuesday, and I am sending an all school tomorrow with information regarding the event. Come out and support the UA if you can.
  3. Brian: This coming week is Healthy Campus week. This initiative is sponsored by many of the wellness boards here on campus. There is a big health conference on Saturday for local schools, and I recommend going for more information. Another point I want to mention is the midnight breakfast following this meeting. It is a good way to make the candidates feel welcome and get to know them better.
  1. Reports
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  1. APSC Contingency Request
  1. Natasha: APSC is bringing Steven Lim from Buzzfeed to campus! They have received funding from multiple sources on campus, but they need help covering the $1600 honorarium cost.
  2. Michael: How many people are you expecting to attend and of that expected total, how many do you anticipate to be undergrad?
  3. Rupa: Around 300 in total, and most, if not all, will be undergrad.
  4. Max: Can you provide a breakdown of the $1600?
  5. Rupa: It will be used only for honorarium.
  6. Jude: What exactly is APSC?
  7. Rupa: We are the Asian Pacific Student Coalition. We are one of the 5B groups on campus, and we serve as an umbrella organization representing the Asian Pacific American groups at Penn.
  8. Sravya: Pro. We should fund this. This will provide a lot of insight to Asian identity, and be extremely beneficial to the student body.
  9. Jordan: Pro. I think this is a great event to fund in full.
  10. Brian: We will be funding APSC in full with a vote of 19, 0, 0.
  1. President’s Report
  1. Upcoming Meetings
  1. Michael: We have a couple of meetings this week: this Tuesday, Cabinet will be meeting with SRFS, and this Friday we will be meeting with Provost Pritchett.
  2. Brian: If anyone ever has anything they would like for us to bring up at these meetings, please reach out.
  1. Vice President’s Report
  1. Upcoming UA Steering
  1. Jordan: This coming Tuesday will be the next UA Steering meeting. The Provost’s Office will be there for the first 30 minutes, and we will break into small groups for the remaining time. I encourage you to attend steering meetings starting early because of the new small group dynamic. Also, if you have any groups that you feel should be in Steering or that you feel would be beneficial to meet with, please reach out! I will try meet with them and potentially invite you along.
  1. UA Report
  1. PSG Steering
  1. Brian: For those who don’t know, the heads of all of the branches of PSG meet every other Sunday for PSG Steering. These meetings are off the record, but we essentially discussed strengthening the relations between each branch with PSG-wide activities like study hours.
  1. New Student Representatives
  1. Brian: Our New Student Reps will be elected on Wednesday at 9PM. If you have any welcome week activity ideas, please reach out.
  1. Associate Member Application
  1. We will be opening the Associate Member (AM) application at 9PM following the results of the election, which means that we will have the AMs in time for welcome week.
  2. Ben: Hypothetically, how many votes would a write in candidate need for the UA College Rep seat?
  3. Krone: 131
  4. Elena: There are 2 seats for College Representative, and 2 people running, correct?
  5. Brian: Yes.
  6. Priya: Is anyone allowed to apply to become an AM?
  7. Brian: Yes.
  8. Anthony: Speaking from last year’s experience, I am so happy that AMs will be able to attend welcome week! It will really make everyone feel as though they are equal and just as valid as the elected members.
  9. Priya: I didn’t get a welcome week. ):
  10. Brian: You are welcome to attend every event this year!
  1. Membership Update
  1. Brian: This past sunday, Jason Kim resigned from the UA to focus on personal goals and other groups and activities on campus.
  2. Member of the Week
  1. Maria: This person is really dope. She is always the first person to have project ideas and respond to messages. She is truly amazing. Priya is this week’s MOTW!
  1. Project Highlights
  1. Dining, Housing, and Transit
  1. Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering Study Halls
  1. Priya: Many students reached out to me about the potential of having study hours for CBE, which would be based on the same system as the study hours for MEAM. As administration needs time to implement this program, this project will be starting next spring. I will also be reaching out to other majors about making this a possibility.
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Dining, Housing, and Transit
  1. UA Representation on Wharton Steering
  1. Maria: After the Huntsman Hall hour change, I reached out to Wharton Steering, the body responsible for approving the change, about adding a UA seat to Wharton Steering. It was well received, and I will be at the next meeting on October 12, which will be focused on OCR.
  1. External Seats
  1. UC Committee on Campus and Community Life
  1. Jess: Last Monday, the UC Committee had our first meeting. We talked about the committee charges for the year, and what we hope to work on during the semester. If anyone has anything they would like for me to bring up at these meetings, let me know.
  2. Michael: Who else is on this committee?
  3. Jess: A lot of relevant faculty.
  1. Dining Advisory Board
  2. Student Financial Services Advisory Board
  1. Max: SRFS released their new net price calculator which is supposed to be more accurate. Tell your friends to try it out, and me know if you have any feedback.
  2. Sravya: What exactly did they change?
  3. Max: The federal calculator takes around 45 minutes to complete, which is inconvenient for many students. The new one has 5 questions and provides a financial aid range based on that information.
  1. Communications