Some things to consider:
- The Mentor is there for you to talk to about the following:
- Their high school experience (what classes they took, how they studied for standardized tests, extra-curricular activities)
- Their application strategy and approach
- Their college experience so far (academically, extracurricularly, and socially)
- What kinds of classes did you take in HS?
- Did you know what you wanted to study in college before your freshman year?
- Were you really active outside the classroom?
- How did you do on standardized tests? What do you think helped you the most?
- Did you take AP classes? How have those helped you in college?
- Were there any extracurricular activities that you participated in, in HS, that helped you decide on organizations to join in college? Were there extracurriculars you participated in that helped you decide what to study?
Application Strategy and Approach
- When did you start your applications?
- What was your common app essay about?
- Who did you have write your recommendation letters?
- Who helped you on your applications?
- Did you intern somewhere in HS?
- What did you make sure to highlight in your application? What was your “unique story”?
- Can you share a bit about how you decided which schools to apply to?
- What would you have done differently in the process, if anything?
- How did you decide what classes to take freshman year?
- Were you undecided coming in? If so, how have you gained more clarity about what you want to study?
- Are you having an overall positive experience or a negative one?
- Do you have time for extracurricular activities?
- When do students start thinking about internships? Does the school help you find work?
- What’s one class you are dying to take?
- How much time do you spend studying on any given day?
- Is there a lot of social pressure to drink?
- What was your experience in the dorms?
- Were you able to find like-minded people pretty easily?
- What’s been the best thing about college so far?
- What’s been the toughest thing about college so far?