Gateway Regional High School
Mathematics 8 – Periods 5 and 6
(856) 848 – 8200 x 557
Google Classroom Code: ifugsg
Khan Academy Code: WPW23G
The Math 8 course includes the following units of study: Getting to Know Numbers, Solving Equations, 2-D Geometry, Angles, Triangles and the Pythagorean Theorem, Functions, Graphing and Writing Linear Equations, Systems of Equations, Volumes and Similar Solids, and Data Analysis and Displays.
Course Expectations and Assessments
- 1st Marking Period - Assessments will evaluate the students on the following units of study: Integers and Expressions, Getting to Know Numbers, Scientific Notation
- 2nd Marking Period - Assessments will evaluate the students on the following units of study: Solving Equations, 2-D Geometry, Transformation Project, Angles, Triangles, & Pythagorean Theorem
- 3rd Marking Period - Assessments will evaluate the students on the following units of study: Functions, Graphing & Writing Linear Equations, Systems of Equations
- 4th Marking Period - Assessments will evaluate the students on the following units of study: Radical Volumes and Similar Solids, & Data Analysis and Displays
Homework will be assigned on a regular basis. All assignments will be listed on Google Classroom and
Power School. Students are expected to complete their homework before the beginning of class. Students who do not complete ALL of their homework for that unit are not eligible to receive any extra credit for that unit.
A test may be retaken before the next primary assignment is given. The higher score will be used.
Students must inform Ms. Byrne that they would like to retake the test and set up a time when the test may be retaken.
Work assigned prior to and due on the day of a one-day absence is due on the day of return. Students will be given the same number of days to complete and turn in work as the number of days missed.
50% - Primary Assessments: Benchmarks, Unit Tests, and Projects
35% - Secondary Assessments: Quizzes and In-Class Activities
15% - Supportive Assessments: Quick Checks, Warm-Ups, Classwork
Required and Recommended Materials
- 1 – 1 or 1 ½ inch 3 ring binder (for Math only)
- 3 Dividers
- 1 Folder
Extra help will be provided on an as-needed basis. Please E-mail me or speak with me to arrange a time to meet.
Classroom Behavioral Expectations and Rewards/Consequences
- Be Prompt - If you are late you will be expected to have a valid pass.
- Be Prepared - Students are to come to class each day with all necessary materials needed to participate in the activities of the day.
- Be Polite - Respect your teacher and fellow classmates. All persons in the classroom are to be treated with common courtesy and no words or actions intended to cause anyone harm will be tolerated.
- Be Positive - Leave all negative attitudes and profanity outside the classroom.
- Participate - Ask questions when you do not understand. Get involved in class discussions and group work
- 1st Occurrence: Private Conversation in the hallway between Ms. Byrne and the student. Parent/Guardian will be contacted if necessary.
- 2nd Occurrence: Private conversation in the hallway with the student and parent/guardian will be contacted. Student will be referred to the administration if it is necessary.
- 3rd Occurrence: Private conversation in the hallway with the student, parent/guardian will be contacted, and students will be referred to the administration.
- Students will only be able receive extra credit if they complete ALL of their homework.