MAGH ÉNE COLLEGE STUDENT LEADERSHIP TEAM & STUDENT COUNCIL
Under Section 27 of the Education Act, 1998 “students of post-primary schools may establish a student council and … the board of management shall encourage the establishment by students of a student council”.
Since the late 1990s, students in Magh Ene College have exercised this right in the form of our Student Leadership Team which consists of Head Girl, Head Boy, Tutor Class Prefects, their Deputy Prefects & our Co. Donegal Youth Council representative, all of whom are democratically elected by our students.
- Head Girl & Head Boy are elected from 5th year candidates by the entire student body and school staff, usually in May of each year. In advance of the election, each candidate makes presentations to all of our students and teachers in which they outline their election manifestoes and ideas for school improvement in the coming year. Once elected, they will also undertake the roles of Chairperson and Secretary on the Student Council.
- Also, every year, each of our Tutor Classes elects a Prefect and Deputy Prefect as their student representatives.
- The Student Council, consisting of Head Girl & Head Boy & all Class Prefects, meets roughly every 3 weeks to discuss Student Council business and various initiatives throughout the school year.
- Additionally, the school has a Co. Donegal Youth Council representative who is elected every 2 years to represent the school at county level. Under the Student Council Constitution, he / she automatically becomes a member of the council when elected.
- The Student Leadership Team is the public face and voice of our student body and works with teachers, school management and the Board of Management to promote a better learning environment in the school.
- It provides a valuable opportunity to promote student’s rights and welfare, gives valuable insights into our democratic system of government through its election process and affords powerful leadership and learning opportunities to all of our students.
- Every year, our student leaders acquire important organisational and leadership skills and learn the value of good communication, cooperation, consultation, feedback and personal responsibility. They are powerful role models to the students they represent by demonstrating good conduct, a strong work ethic and a confident, reliable, positive and helpful attitude.They make a huge contribution to the wider school community.
Student Leadership Programme & Student Council Summary:
Represents Students' Views
Provides a consultation channel between students, teachers, Class Tutors, Year Heads, the Principal, Deputy Principal & Board of Management
Offers Peer Support to fellow students
Helps Improve School Atmosphere
Works to Improve School Conditions, Facilities & the Learning Environment
Raises Students' Awareness of 'bigger issues" like Bullying / Mental Health / Social Issues
Elects a Representative to Co. Donegal Youth Council
Role models & leads
- Organises Extra Curricular Activities
- Surveys Student Needs & Opinions
- Tutor Class duties
- Helps at School Events e.g. Parent Information Nights, Christmas concerts, Awards Night etc
- Assists School Management