General Body Meeting

11/11/18

9:00 PM Benjamin Franklin Room, Houston Hall

  1. Roll Call
  2. Open Forum
  3. Old Business
  1. Project Highlights
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. All-School-Access Printers in JMHH
  1. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Past Administrator Meetings
  1. Facilities and Real Estate Services
  2. UC Steering
  3. Council of Undergraduate Deans
  1. Upcoming Events
  1. AVEN Presentation
  2. iCARE Training
  1. Vice President’s Report
  1. Past Steering Meeting
  2. University Council Open Forum Meeting
  1. UA Report
  1. UA on Locust
  2. Annual Reports on Trello
  3. Feedback Week
  4. Spring Semester Schedule
  5. Member of the Week
  1. Secretary’s Report
  1. Penn Labs at Upcoming GBM
  2. Airport Shuttles Updates
  1. Resolutions
  1. Resolution Concerning Accelerated On-Campus Recruiting Timeline
  1. Discussion Papers
  1. Student and Campus Life
  1. Sophomore Signature Event Revisions
  2. Pennvolvement and Civic Engagement Project
  1. Equity and Inclusion
  1. Proactive Mental and Performance Disorders Testing
  1. Project Highlights
  1. Student and Campus Life
  1. Club Recruitment Reform
  2. CAPS Mythbuster Posters
  1. Equity and Inclusion
  1. Information Sessions for Less Advertised Wharton Concentrations
  1. Dining, Housing, and Transit
  1. Penn Lighting Project
  2. Penn Transit Mobile Application
  3. Remote Desktop Software for College and Nursing Students
  1. Sustainability and Community Impact
  1. Penn Sports Clubs: Moratorium and Funding
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Student and Campus Life
  1. CAPS Undergraduate Embedded Model
  1. External Seats
  1. Dining Advisory Board
  2. Board of Trustees Facilities and Campus Planning Committee
  3. Board of Trustees Student Life Committee
  1. Communications

Old Business


Project Highlights


Academic Initiatives

All-School-Access Printers in JMHH

Authored by: Elena Hoffman

On Tuesday afternoon (October 30), I met with Alex Milne (Technical Director of Strategic Partnerships), Mikki Miller (Sr. IT Project Lead), and Wallace Haviland (Sr. IT Project Lead). We discussed Huntsman printing for non-Wharton students enrolled in Wharton classes. Any student enrolled in a Wharton class can register here to access Huntsman printing and Huntsman desktops for the semester they are enrolled in the class. Once these accounts are created, students have access to Huntsman email printing throughout their time at Penn. All students need to do is email the documents and/or attachments they wish to print to printing@wharton.upenn.edu.

After discussing the current policy, we turned to discussions on the all-school-access printing policy. The long term goals for Wharton Computing are to make printing accessible to all Penn students, but they are running into technical problems on the privacy end. They do not want the printing system queue to list every individual who has printed something. Wharton Computing is hoping to roll out an upgraded printing experience over summer 2019. What are some printing features you’ve seen while at Penn that you either like/dislike?

New Business


Reports


President’s Report

  1. Past Administrator Meetings
  1. Facilities and Real Estate Services
  1. On Monday, November 5, UA Cabinet met with administrators from Facilities and Real Estate Services (FRES). We learned about the Penn Connects 3.0 plans, discussed FRES’s sustainability initiatives, how student input can be incorporated into the construction and maintenance of campus spaces, feasibility of motion-sensored lighting in College Houses, and how to deal with the pressing issue of mold in the Quad. Kevin Arther joined the meeting to discuss outdoor lighting needs on campus. If you have a maintenance request that you would like to submit, click on this link (available on Penn InTouch).
  1. UC Steering
  1. On Tuesday, November 6, Jordan Andrews and I met with UC Steering. We reported on work that the UA has done related to Campus Conversation, and highlighted projects. We discussed that the next University Council meeting will be Open Forum.
  1. Council of Undergraduate Deans
  1. On Wednesday, November 7, I met with CUD. We discussed the involvement of the twelve schools in coordinated sustainability campaigns. There was a presentation by Dr. Eric Orts of the Wharton School on the work done by the Environmental Sustainability Advisory Committee toward a sustainability summit in December. We then discussed the creation of an Athletics Advisory Committee to bring together conversations from across academics on the student-athlete experience. I advocated for more student representation, as the proposal called for one representative from the UA and one from the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC). The final discussion point concerned a policy related to the revocation of degrees from graduates if information comes to the surface about academic misconduct in the pursuit of that degree.
  1. Upcoming Events
  1. AVEN Presentation
  1. At GBM on November 18, Desteni Rivers and Wyatt Perez, two Penn Anti-Violence Educators, will come to deliver a 15-minute presentation on resources concerning violence prevention. This is the November step in continuing as a part of the Anti-Violence Engagement Network (AVEN).
  1. iCARE Training
  1. I will be scheduling an iCARE training for all members of the UA. While this will not be a requirement, it is highly encouraged. The training will tentatively be scheduled for Saturday, January 26 in the afternoon. The version of training that we will go through will last three hours. If spots are limited, priority will be given to members that have not yet undergone iCARE training.

Vice-President’s Report

  1. Past Steering Meeting
  1. Steering convened on Tuesday, November 6.  We spoke to EVP Craig Carnaroli about affordable retail and food truck dining options, prioritizing student spaces in new construction, and giving students a voice in decision-making. We also did a goal-sharing exercise in small groups.
  1. University Council Open Forum Meeting
  1. Wednesday, December 5, will be the Open Forum meeting for this semester. If you would like to submit a topic please do so to the University Secretary’s office before November 26.

UA Report

  1. UA on Locust
  1. This past Wednesday the Communications Team and Academic Initiatives Committee ran a UA Table on Locust. They highlighted what the UA has been up to and got suggestions for future projects. The next UA on Locust will be held on Tuesday, November 13th and will be hosted by EI!
  1. Annual Reports on Trello
  1. This past Thursday, Dante Diggs, Regan Mizrahi, Jess Andrews, Maria Curry, Mercedes Owens, Michael Krone and I added all the past annual reports to Trello. Thank you so much. You can now search every past Annual Report on Trello!
  1. Feedback Week
  1. This coming week during committee, we will be reserving the last 15 minutes for a feedback session for you to voice your views and concerns about the UA. I will also be sending around an anonymous Feedback form for anyone who would like to provide feedback anonymously.
  1. Spring Semester Schedule
  1. At the end of the agenda please find the schedule for GBM and Committee for next semester. If you notice any dates that pose religious conflicts for you please let me know as soon as possible.
  1. Member of the Week
  1. This week’s member of the week is...

Secretary’s Report

  1. Penn Labs at Upcoming GBM
  1. The current chairs of Penn Labs, Dominic Holmes and Emily Tan will be joining us at GBM next week. Please have questions related to their progress in mind!
  1. Airport Shuttles Updates
  1. The shift sign up sheet will be sent out following GBM. Please sign up for a shift by GBM next week. Cover photos and profile photo frames will be sent out on November 15th. Please change your cover photos and add the frame to your profile photo as soon as possible. Social media advertising plays a huge role in the success of shuttles!

Resolutions


Resolution Concerning Accelerated On-Campus Recruiting Timeline

Authored by: Maria Curry and Michael Krone

Background:

In the most recent years, the increasingly early accelerated timeline for recruiting Penn undergraduates in Finance and Consulting industries for Junior internships has been a prominent point of discussion among students. The recent Wall Street Journal article published October 29 on this topic attests to this, exemplifying universities where only three years ago, Juniors recruited in Spring for Summer investment banking internships in the same calendar year - now the timeline is more than a year in advance.

This issue is perhaps most relevant to Penn, where, as reported in the most recent Penn-Wide Undergraduate Summary for the Class of 2017’s Careers Plans, of the 1,577 respondents who reported being full-time employed after graduation, the largest percentage of students entered finance (25.7%) and consulting (16.0%) industries. With more than 1 in 3 students on average (41.7%) entering these two industries alone, the effects of these early recruiting timelines are felt extensively across all undergraduates.

As referenced in the WSJ article, these accelerated recruiting timelines have proved problematic for both students and employers themselves.

  1. For one, accelerated timelines for internships intended to recruit full-time talent instead push underclassmen to decide and commit in their early years to a single industry without exploring any other professional interests.
  2. The existence of exploding offers after the interview process leads to unpassionate student interns, simply accepting an offer for the sake of employment.
  3. The acceleration of the timeline has led to a background and quality of students hired that is contrary to the intention of recruiters. Instead of providing opportunities for qualified minority and underrepresented students in financial services and management consulting, the accelerated timeline favored students with connections and family backgrounds in the industry, significantly white and male.
  4. Many underclassmen applying for investment banking jobs have not even completed introductory finance classes at the time of accelerated recruiting, furthermore contributing to the gap between those with institutional connections and those without but just as qualified.
  5. The accelerated recruiting timeline distracts students from one of the main purpose of the university experience, academics. While the timeline of recruiting may always fall within an academic semester when classes are in session, the accelerated timeline specifically adds an additional unnecessary level of stress by forcing students to choose between non-negotiable attendance grades and learning course content, and attending a superday to determine their entire full-time career.

In response to these effects, Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan, two top recruiters at Penn, will now not be interviewing or extending Junior summer offers to college sophomores this academic year (2018-2019) and will go back to recruiting students in the fall of their junior year, according to executives.

Resolution Text:

The Undergraduate Assembly hereby resolves to:

  1. Strongly urge the University of Pennsylvania Career Services and undergraduate school deans to:
  1. Require that recruiting events explicitly marketed toward internships for the summer following the junior year take place no earlier than the end of the student’s sophomore year, specifically in financial services and management consulting. This includes, but is not limited to: information sessions, coffee chats/networking sessions, and interviews (whether on campus or via digital interviewing services).
  2. Work collectively with peer institutions to communicate with firms in the aforementioned industries regarding the implications that their recruitment processes have on the wellbeing of students.

Discussion Papers


Student and Campus Life

Sophomore Signature Event Revisions

Authored By: Charles Curtis-Thomas

 

Background:

It has been noted by students and administrators alike that there is a lack of a quintessential event for the Sophomore Year. Freshman Year has NSO and Convocation, Junior Year has Hey Day, and Senior Year has The Final Toast and Graduation. As part of the Second Year Experience Program, a group of administrators and students are developing a plan for an event for the entire sophomore class on Friday, March 29, 2019. I am seeking feedback on the name and structure of the event.

 

Much like Convocation or Hey Day, this event is meant to bring the entire sophomore class together to build community and have fun. We believe the event should celebrate students’ academic identity and mark the passage of time. There are three proposed ideas for the event thus far:

 

  1. “Reverse Hey Day”
  1. Sophomores would arrive to Penn Commons and receive blue T-Shirts, the front containing the branded name of the event, and the back containing the verbiage “My Academic Path:” with a space for students or friends of students to fill in with whatever they please.
  2. At Penn Commons, students would receive flags that will serve as a memento for the event and that say something along the lines of “I’m Halfway There”.
  3. Students would then walk from Penn Commons to the Hamilton Village. On the way to the Hamilton Village, Locust Walk would be lined up with feather banners denoting all the different majors and concentrations within the University.
  4. At Hamilton Village, there would be a ceremony, perhaps featuring President Gutmann and/or Provost Pritchett, that would plant the class flag in high rise field, signifying the transition of students from College Green into their Sophomore Experience and into the Greater West Philadelphia community. As well as the final leg of the circle in Convocation (College Green), Flag Day (walk to Hamilton Village), Hey Day (walk to College Green) and Commencement.
  5. The event would conclude with a speech from University officials and could include a reception or meal beforehand/afterward.
  1. “Friday Night Lights”
  1. This would take place on High Rise Field and would start an hour before sunset. Students receive food and giveaways, and take a photo with major flags to celebrate individuality.
  2. The sun will set and the food service will stop. The President/Provost would make a speech about the sophomore experience. All students are handed out lights (flashlights, lanterns, etc.), and an interactive speech is delivered talking about the Penn experience, such as for example: “If you are a Sophomore, turn on your light” “If you have failed a midterm, turn on your light” “If you are excited for your Junior Year, turn on your light” etc. And students disperse at the end.
  1. “Option C” - Middle Ground
  1. Starts an hour before sunset at Penn Commons with free food for sophomores. Blue shirts will be distributed with potentially writing on the back that students have submitted prior.
  2. At a designated time, the sophomores, led by student government representatives and President Gutmann, will begin to march down Locust, passing flags along the way that list each major. Alternatively, the flags can be setup in Penn Commons, and then students proceed to High Rise Field.
  3. The President/Provost makes a speech about the sophomore experience. All students are handed out lights (maybe flashlights or lanterns), and an interactive speech is delivered talking about the Penn experience, such as for example: “If you are a Sophomore, turn on your light” “If you have failed a midterm, turn on your light” “If you are excited for your Junior Year, turn on your light,” etc.

 

 Discussion Questions:

  1. What are the benefits and drawbacks to each event?
  2. Does this event have the same feeling as Hey Day, which we are trying to model?
  3. What are ways we can make this event better/draw all sophomores to attend?
  4. Do you have any name suggestions?
  5. Do you believe it is better to eat before the start of the event or after it is over?
  6. Do you have suggestions for a (5-7-minute) keynote speaker?

Equity and Inclusion

Proactive Mental and Performance Disorders Testing

Authored by: Kristen Ukeomah

 

Background:

Penn provides accommodations and academic guidance for students with learning disorders and disabilities through the Student Disabilities Services office, housed within the Weingarten Learning Resources Center. Because some disabilities are more visibly apparent than others, coupled with the mental illness stigma in many societies, I have particularly noticed a trend in communities of people of color who were diagnosed with learning and performance disorders prior to coming to Penn. However, these diagnoses often follow some academic tragedy. My goal is to begin an initiative that informs Penn students (particularly freshmen) about learning and performance disabilities, such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, ADHD, and memory deficits, so that students can self-identify themselves if they notice symptoms of these disorders, get tested, and receive the appropriate help before their grades suffer.

 

Discussion Questions:

  1. Students with disabilities are already a small fraction of students, and the population with undiagnosed disabilities is most likely even smaller. Because this project would impact a small population, who should be engaged first?
  2. If this were to be implemented, should it be an upstream or downstream approach?
  1. E.g., an email about awareness distributed to students over the summer, a presentation by RA/GAs about resources and awareness, etc.
  1. Who are some stakeholders to reach out to (either in SDS, the Center for Teaching and Learning, etc.)?

Academic Initiatives

Remote Desktop Software for College and Nursing Students

Authored by: Nick Parkes

This past month, I met with representatives from Wharton Computing to discuss the possibility of implementing a Remote Desktop system for students in the college and/or nursing. Currently, only SEAS/Wharton students can log into their Penn accounts remotely to access saved files or proprietary software. Wharton Computing gave me some insights into why they chose the system they currently have in place (VMWare Horizon) over that which Engineering uses (Virtual Lab), and differences between the computing systems of Wharton and Engineering. I have a meeting scheduled with SAS computing this Friday and would your input on the following questions before I meet with them.

Discussion questions for College/Nursing students:

  1. Is there proprietary software that you use often that can only be accessed on the school’s computing system?
  2. Do you save files on the school computers on a regular basis?
  3. Do you think you would use this system if it were put in place?

Project Highlights


Student and Campus Life

Club Recruitment Reform

Authored by John Casey

 

Before Fall Break, Michael Krone and I worked on a survey that would gauge students’ experiences with the club recruitment process. The survey was distributed via an email to all first- and second-year students with reminders scheduled on social media. The survey was available for three weeks. In total we had 200 unique responses: 66% of which came from the class of 2022 and 31% from the class of 2021, with the remainder coming from Juniors and Seniors.

 

Major Findings about the recruitment process:

 

What are clubs doing well?

 

This survey corroborates the ideas and policy goals that I have to address club recruitment, namely creating a comprehensive club management tool. While it would be difficult to change the club recruitment timeline or to tell clubs to ease up their applications, we can address how prepared students feel going into the club recruitment process. By creating a guide that effectively outline the available clubs on campus, students will have an easier time getting in touch with these clubs. From there, clubs will be able to do the things they are already doing well at (providing information, communicating goals, explaining expectations).

 

Next Steps:

CAPS Mythbuster Posters

Authored by: Simon Miller

 

Over the last few weeks, I have been coordinating with the CAPS Advisory Board (CAPSAB) and Penn Wellness to create a CAPS “Mythbuster” poster series, which would contain different myths about CAPS and the actual facts that contradict them. Currently, I have myths such as CAPS staff not having resources for international students, not being confidential, having extremely long wait times, and more. Next steps include reaching out to CAPS directly to get approval for release of statistical data. After gaining approval, I plan to reach out to Sravya Alla and the Communications Team to discuss designs for small handouts and larger posters to place around campus.

Dining, Housing, and Transit

Penn Lighting Project

Authored by: Kevin Arther

The focus of this project is to increase outdoor lighting across Penn’s campus in an effort to make travel safer for students at night. This past month, I surveyed campus and the surrounding areas after dark and recorded certain locations where lighting was existent but not functioning, and where the addition of new lighting would be beneficial. I plotted these spots on an overhead map of campus in a diagram currently available on Trello.

This past Monday, November 5th, I had the opportunity to join the UA Cabinet at their meeting with Facilities and Real Estate Services (FRES) and discuss my ongoing project. The administration appeared very receptive of my suggestions and thought the diagram was comprehensive and effectively emphasized the areas in need of more light.  A few administrators within FRES are going to follow up with this issue and personally walk the campus soon to personally identify these troublesome locations. They had asked if I would be interested in joining them, so I am going to reach out to their team and gather more information as to when we would be heading out to do so.

Penn Transit Mobile Application

Authored by: Arjun Swaminathan and Maria Curry

This previous Thursday, we met with Barbara Lea–Kruger of Business Services to discuss the rollout and advertisement of Penn’s new mobile app for transit, Penn Rides on Request and Penn Rides en Route. We participated in a demo of the service, which allows students on campus and in the surrounding area to request rides both on demand and ahead of time - similar to Uber and Lyft pooling options. The app also provides maps and live locations of the fixed-route Penn Buses. Business Services is still in the process of beta-testing with drivers and riders and intends to expand the scope of tests in the upcoming weeks. Ms. Lea–Kruger would appreciate if the UA can advertise the app once it is live, and direct administration towards additional test groups in the meantime. They stated that they are looking for groups who would use the app on a regular and frequent basis.

Information Sessions for Less Advertised Wharton Concentrations

Authored by: Danny Dontoh

 

I have been working on a project that aims to increase the awareness of lesser advertised concentrations in Wharton by creating a series of concentration informational sessions. These would consist of professor run presentations as well as a panel of upperclassmen pursuing the respective concentrations; the goal would entail creating a space where undeclared Wharton students (particularly Freshman) will be able to interact with the professors in these departments as well as several upperclassmen, allowing them to have a contact to learn more about them throughout their studies at Penn.

Two weeks ago, I met with Diana Robertson, a professor in the Legal Studies Department, alongside Lauretta Tomasco, a staff member in the department, and they suggested that I coordinate a sit-down dinner where students may interact with professors and upperclassmen at a more personal level. Both of them seemed very enthusiastic about the initiative and they suggested I reach out to Joanne Spigonardo, Associate Director of Business Development of the Wharton Initiative for Global Environmental Leadership (IGEL), and Phil Nichols, one of the head professor in Legal Studies and Business Ethics, to learn more about potential funding for this project, as well as to settle on a definite location for the dinners to take place.

Sustainability and Community Impact

Penn Sports Clubs: Moratorium and Funding

Authored by: Ammar Bawa

 

Several years ago, the Student Activities Council (SAC) and the Sports Club Council (SCC) both had a moratorium on new groups that they could admit. This was due to limitations in funds, human capital, and facility space. The moratorium was lifted for SAC in 2014, but remains for SCC. After meeting with Dave Leach from Penn Recreation, he explained that there have been issues with funding and complaints for the past couple years regarding club sports teams that are unable to get funding. In an effort to put more emphasis on sports clubs, Penn Recreation is in the process of hiring a Sports Club Coordinator (in October 2018).

 

In past years, some of the teams that have attempted to be recognized by the SCC are: men’s club basketball, powerlifting, figure skating, and polo. This year, the SCC has only allowed space for one team to be recognized by the SCC: club basketball. Also, some sports clubs are very difficult to support due to the nature of their needs. For example, club polo would need horses, a polo field, and transportation to and from the site. Club figure skating would need access to the ice rink, which is operated by Business Services, not Recreation. One club in particular that might be able to be funded is club powerlifting, which has rebranded as Penn Barbell Club (PBC).

 

Dave expressed interest in working with PBC because the funding needed is relatively low– funding for space in Weiss Pavilion (varsity facility because group sessions are not allowed in Pottruck)– and competitive presence is there for a club sport. He also emphasized how important club sports are for wellness on campus because they present a middle-ground between varsity and intramural athletics.


Completion Reports


Student and Campus Life

Implementation of CAPS Embedded Model for Undergraduates

Authored by Jess Andrews and Kevin Zhou

 

During the 45th session of the UA, Kevin Zhou and I lobbied extensively for the creation of an undergraduate pilot program of the CAPS embedded model, which currently exists in four of Penn’s twelve graduate schools (School of Dental Medicine, Perelman School of Medicine, School of Veterinary Medicine, and Penn Law). As of November 1, 2018, Wharton has announced that they will be piloting the embedded model in Huntsman Hall and that it will be available for undergraduate, MBA, and PhD students in Wharton. The CAPS clinician (Dr. Courtney Hutchison) will be located in JMHH G94 from Tuesday through Thursday from 3-7pm to provide 1-hour-long initial assessments and brief drop-in consultations. Due to logistical concerns and the nature of the pilot program, only students enrolled in the Wharton school will be able to access this resource at this time. For more information, see here.


External Seats


Board of Trustees Facilities and Campus Planning Committee

Authored by: Ben May

On Thursday, November 8, the Board of Trustees Facilities and Campus Planning Committee met to discuss Penn’s incubation of startups with cost effective facilities, through Pennovation; impact on West Philadelphia, helping to promote economic growth around campus; and efforts to improve Greek housing. I brought up the implication of the new sophomore year housing policy’s impact on Greek life. Following discussion, I found that – although there may not ultimately be a designation of Greek houses as “on campus” – there will be incentives made by the university to encourage juniors and seniors to live in their respective fraternity or sorority houses.

Dining Advisory Board Updates

Authored by: Obed Antoine and Kevin Zhou

DAB met on October 30th, then Kevin and I met with dining system faculty on November 6th. The following items were brought up/ done by DAB and the faculty members responded accordingly: corrections to the Penn Mobile app, implementation of upperclassmen mugs, extending Falk hours into the weekend, increasing the options at Hill Late Night, placing phone charging stations at 1920 Commons, adding coffee syrups and honey to all dining halls, and installing a system to increase comradery within dining calls. All of the aforementioned ideas are going to be looked into with the exception of the charging station in Commons as the faculty deemed the price is too “exorbitant”. The new comradery initiative in dining halls includes a green flag system which will designate people to sit next to them and chat with students. This program will start Monday, November 26th during lunch at Hill College House. At the same time, DAB has requested that the UA take down the PennLabs app,  Penn Mobile, so the focus is put on the university's PennGuides app instead. Finally, DAB made the faculty members aware of their initiative to hold a Quizzo in English College House (Nov 13th at 6 pm), and an informative recycling event that will explain the proper way to recycle to students (Nov. 15 from 11-2pm).

Board of Trustees Student Life Committee

Authored by: Michael Krone

On Thursday, November 8, the Board of Trustees Committee on Student Life convened to discuss accommodations for students with disabilities and the state of extracurricular life at Penn. I presented on the work that the UA has done in conjunction with the Student Activities Council and Office of Student Affairs to address the club recruitment process. Haley Pilgrim, GAPSA President, presented on GAPSA’s primary initiatives for the year. In addition, we heard from members of several of Penn’s open membership organizations, including the Penn Beekeepers, Social Deduction Club, and Coffee Club.


Minutes


  1. Roll Call
  1. Stephen- NEC Liaison
  2. Ariela- AM on AI
  3. Jessie- AM DHT
  4. Ryan- AM on EI
  5. Jen- AM on AI
  6. Kayla- AM on SCI
  7. John - SCL
  8. Charles- SCL
  1. Open Forum
  1. Stephen: The UA and the NEC appoint people to seats on UC. A lot of really important discussions happen in these meetings. The December 5th meeting will be titled Open Forum and is a great way to present issues on campus to high authority. I will be reaching out to the UA body about social media promotion.
  1. Old Business
  1. Project Highlights
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. All-School-Access Printers in JMHH
  1. Elena: I have been working on this project for a while. There are two major updates: everyone who is taking a wharton class is able to print and log on to computers by making a Wharton account. Your Wharton account may not work to sign into computers after the class ends, but your ability to print is still possible for the remainder of your time at Penn. The second update is Wharton administration wants to make this more accessible, but they are running into implementation issues facing technology and privacy. They are going to rollout an upgrade on Wharton printing this summer and they are hopeful that this will be a part of it.
  2. Priya: Engineers as well as other school have a $20 printing credit. It would be cool if this credit could be applied to other school’s printing systems.
  3. Elena: It is something I could raise at my next meeting.
  1. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Past Administrator Meetings
  1. Facilities and Real Estate Services
  1. Michael: This past week, Cabinet met with FRES where we learned a lot about FRES-specific initiatives and university plans. Kevin A. presented a really detailed resource that he created outlining lighting needs in different areas on campus. They were really impressed with this resource, and mentioned taking it into consideration during their meeting with DPS.
  1. UC Steering
  1. Michael: Jordan and I met with UC steering where we discussed UA updates among other things.  
  1. Council of Undergraduate Deans
  1. Michael: We met with someone from IGEL and discussed the creation of an Athletics Advisory Committee. We also talked about the revocation of degrees post-graduation.
  2. Jen: When will the advisory committee be fully formed?
  3. Michael: They are shooting for Spring, but I'll definitely let you know as I find out more.
  4. Ben: Any feedback on Fossil Free Penn and the resolution?
  5. Michael: Based on the material, it was not different enough from the previous report to go through the process again. I talked to the Tri-Chairs of Faculty Senate as well as Fossil Free leadership about making Penn overall more fossil free.
  6. Ben: Since the reports will always be pretty similar, do you think future resolutions will also be denied?
  7. Michael: This is my personal opinion, but there have been discussions like this in the past, and I’m not sure if it is possible. Given that fossil fuel industries aren't necessarily the most sound investment at this point, I’m not sure which direction Penn will move in.
  1. Upcoming Events
  1. AVEN Presentation
  1. Michael: Next week will have a quick 15 minute presentation as the next step in our AVEN recognition.
  1. iCARE Training
  1. Michael:This is scheduled tentatively for Saturday, January 26th. If you attended iCARE training last year, don’t  feel like you have to attend again this year.
  2. Obed: What is iCare training?
  3. Michael: The goal of this program is to help us as an organization feel more comfortable and have the ability to  talk through difficult situations with our friends and even strangers.
  1. Vice President’s Report
  1. Past Steering Meeting
  1. Michael: At the past steering meeting, both the EVP and AVP attended, then we broke into small groups and did a goal sharing exercise.
  1. University Council Open Forum Meeting
  1. Michael: As Stephen mentioned earlier, December 5 will be the Open Forum meeting for this semester. If you would like to submit a topic please do so here before November 26.
  1. UA Report
  1. UA on Locust
  1. Sravya: Huge thanks to AI for staffing the table this past week. We passed out summary reports and wellness guides to students who were interested. EI will be staffing the table this week and there is a thread on slack for general feedback.
  2. Chase: Was there any student feedback?
  3. Sravya: Yes, someone on the DP reached out about one of my projects, and the people staffing the table for AI also received feedback.
  1. Annual Reports on Trello
  1. Brian: Shoutout to everyone who helped add the past annual reports to Trello. You can now search all past UA projects, so please take advantage of this resource.
  1. Feedback Week
  1. Brian: This week is feedback week in committees. You'll be able to give feedback on you committee directors,  and I will be sending out an anonymous form as well for general UA feedback. Come prepared with thoughts for this discussion.
  1. Spring Semester Schedule
  1. Brian: Please make sure to look at the schedules for GBM and Committees next semester. Be sure to come to budget meetings in February because they count for double. If you notice a religious holiday that conflicts with one of these meeting dates, reach out to me as soon as possible.
  2. Kristen: Why is the February 3rd meeting at 1:00 pm?
  3. Brian: It’s Superbowl Sunday.
  1. Member of the Week
  1. Maria: MOTW is Kevin A!
  1. Secretary’s Report
  1. Penn Labs at Upcoming GBM
  1. Mercedes: Penn Labs will be coming to next week's GBM, so please be prepared with questions for them. 
  1. Airport Shuttles Updates
  1. Mercedes: Shuttle shift sign ups will be sent out after GBM. We will be sending out the cover photos and profile photo frames on Wednesday, November 15th, which is the same day the ad will appear in the DP. Make sure to change cover photos and profile photos because promotion is a huge part of the success of shuttles. Reach out to me as soon as possible if you are leaving before shifts begin.
  2. Will: I think it was helpful in GBM to take 10 minutes and change photos then.
  3. Kristen: What are the dates?
  4. Mercedes:  November 20 and 21.
  1. Resolutions
  1. Resolution Concerning Accelerated On-Campus Recruiting Timeline
  1. Maria: This resolution was prompted by a recent article in the WSJ and the ongoing problem at Penn. We are targeting the accelerated timeline for junior summer internships over a year in advance for finance and consulting specifically. I summarized this into the five problems that were highlighted in both the article and on campus in general. This can be from the knowledge gap, taking away from academics, etc.
  2. Michael: Also, just a reminder of what passing a resolution means. It expresses the formal voice and opinion of the UA to the appropriate administrators of the university.
  3. Kristen: Who would this be voiced to?
  4. Michael: Brian would email President Gutmann, VPUL, and other high level administrators. The important part is the follow up.
  5. Elena: It feels like 95% of the companies start recruiting before the end of the sophomore year.
  6. Maria: Many students begin recruiting in the two weeks at the end of their sophomore summer internship.
  7. Ben: Have you had any meetings with administrators to see how our peer institutions are doing this? Changing this impulsively could eliminate Penn’s competitive advantage for these companies.
  8. Maria: I sit on Wharton Steering which is confidential, but from what I have gathered from those meetings and our meeting with Provost Pritchett, Penn has already been having this conversation. I think that this is very plausible for them to be on board. JP Morgan and Goldman are pushing back their deadlines in response.
  9. Michael: We also want to push that this has to be a collaborative effort between Penn and our peers.
  10. Nikhil: What does “the end of students sophomore year” mean exactly?
  11. Maria: The last day of finals of a student’s sophomore year. I think that during the summer is a fine time to recruit because there is no academic stress at that point.
  12. Elena: If you put the deadline at the end of someone’s sophomore year then it could pressure students to stay on campus following their sophomore year to recruit. Do you have statistics about when sophomores typically accept job offers?
  13. Maria: No, but there was a study that was not very conclusive.
  14. Michael: The rationale is there for how it it written currently, but the bigger problem is that students would have superdays on the same day they would have final exams and were unaware that they could reschedule. This resolution would eliminate that overlap at least.
  15. Ryan: Would you potentially think about working with Career Services?
  16. Maira: They have a lot of say on this topic. Barbara Hewitt was even quoted in the WSJ article, so they are on board.
  17. Kristen: Is Wharton Steering is in favor of this change?
  18. Maria: I wouldn’t say that exactly. I think all administrators are in favor of doing something, but what they want to do varies from person to person.
  19. Jen: Do you know if sophomores who applied earlier than the October change are still being considered?
  20. Maria: They have already recruited sophomores for summer 2019, but not for Summer 2020.
  21. Ben: On point 3, could you cite your sources for the ‘white male’ statement?
  22. Maria: This is specifically mentioned in the article, which I encourage you all to read. I think this is likely to change. There are freshmen and sophomore diversity programs with the goal of gathering more diverse qualified candidates, but in the Junior year, it ends up being white males with institutional knowledge and connections who get the job.
  23. Elena: Do you mean the end of sophomore year or after exams?
  24. Michael: After finals.
  25. Kristen: Are people on campus after the last day of classes?
  26. Michael: That’s exactly the point.
  27. Thomas: Would this be after finals each year?
  28. Maria: Yes.
  29. Jessie: Why is the date after sophomore year instead of first day of junior year? Would this not encourage companies to begin recruiting immediately following finals which would cause more stress to the students?
  30. Michael: It is written this way to give more flexibility to both students and companies. You point is a behavioral change that could stem from this, but we don’t foresee this being an issue.
  31. Maria: As I mentioned earlier, Career Services has a voice in this, and since this is a change in benefit of student wellness, I don’t think this would be an issue.
  32. Elena: How would we go about amending the wording of this resolution?
  33. Brian: You would have to submit it in writing to Mercedes prior to the meeting preferably.
  34. Arjun: Pro. Fantastic idea. Freshmen and sophomores do not have the skills for these positions yet. This resolution will help reduce overall stress and put an emphasis on wellness.
  35. Kristen: Con. I like this but I am skeptical about saying the end of sophomore year instead of the first day of junior year. If wording could be changed I would be for this.
  36. Ben: Pro. You’ll never be able to  bridge the socioeconomic gap, but I am in support of this and think is a great first step.
  37. Maria: Michael and I both have jobs that are not the same as what we did our freshman and sophomore summers.
  38. Michael: Don't feel pressured to know what you want to do now. A lot of the late, stressful nights are driven by students, and this could be a great first step to fix this.
  39. Janice: Con. The prematurity of the resolution could be a problem. Contacting student leaders in Ivy+ institutions could give more insight. I think that the wording is also a point of contention, but otherwise I am in favor.
  40. Kristen: What does abstain mean?
  41. Michael: It depends on the interpretation of the speaker.
  42. Brian: Resolution Passes with a vote of 26-1-0.
  1. Discussion Papers
  1. Student and Campus Life
  1. Sophomore Signature Event Revisions
  1. Charles: There are three options that I would like to get your feedback on. We are probably going to go with these that are listed, so please feedback on which event out of these three.
  2. Kristen: I would provide free apparel to encourage students to attend.
  3. Charles: That has been taken care of. There will be t-shirts and a couple other things.
  4. Sravya: This could be similar to Harvard’s concentration day with more of an academic focus.
  5. Charles: Definitely. Also, we changed the timing of the event to be two days before Hey Day.
  6. Max: Penn is super stressful when it comes to majors so be conscious of this when incorporating majors into the event.
  7. Thomas: I would just like to echo Max and add that food at the end is the best way to go.
  8. Ben: I like the community building aspect of these options.
  9. Charles: We are moving toward option C, so I would appreciate feedback on that one specifically.
  10. Janice: Having a keynote speaker in the beginning would be very beneficial to draw people to the event, and food at the end is how to keep them there.
  11. Kristen: It does not have to model Hey Day because there are different feels for different events.
  12. Ryan: Instead of plain backs for those without a major, you could have some funny or quirky saying on the back.
  13. Ben: I would recommend Elon Musk as a potential speaker.
  1. Equity and Inclusion
  1. Proactive Mental and Performance Disorders Testing
  1. Kristen: My project is essentially targeting students who come from disadvantaged communities and uneducated backgrounds and helping them identify their learning disabilities early.
  2. Jess: Can you walk us through the current process and timeline?
  3. Kristen: You would have to be seen by SHS or CAPS, then be referred to Weingarten for testing or the student would have to reach out directly after being concerned themselves. There is also a way for students to get this testing covered through the Wellness Fund.
  4. Janice: Would promotion be to the freshman class or to everyone?
  5. Kristen: This would be targeted towards the entire freshman class and people who are in contact with them like RAs and GAs to encourage them to reach out for help if they need it.
  6. Ben: I would suggest pushing this during NSO and highlighting that testing is available. I would also include this in the modules on TAP.
  7. Thomas: I think that having an RA/GA session would be better because attendance is usually required at these meetings and it is also a smaller, more intimate environment.
  8. Kristen: I was advised to not send emails because the parents of students who may be affected by these disorders will see the email and discourage the student from getting help.
  9. Obed: I could bring this up to CTL.
  10. Brian: I have one concern to bring up. I would push back on advertising to all students because that could lead to people would taking advantage of this resource.
  11. Kristen: The testing is a very rigorous process,  so I don’t think this would be a problem.
  12. Chase: There could be room for collaboration with Jen and integrating this into writing seminars.
  13. Michael: I think that since you want to focus on students from minority backgrounds, targeting the cultural houses would be the best first step. I think that timing is also a huge factor in this so maybe start pushing these resources at the beginning of first midterm season.
  1. Remote Desktop Software for College and Nursing Students
  1. Nick: I met with representatives from Wharton Computing to discuss the possibility of implementing a Remote Desktop system for students in the college and nursing. Currently this is only available to SEAS/Wharton students.
  2. Jess: We use the same programming that Wharton uses, but we do not have gmail accounts, we have outlook accounts instead. That means that we have to create gmail accounts to save out things which is a more stressful process.
  3. Chase: In all fine arts and graphic design and you have to have adobe premiere, which is only available in a few places on campus so this is definitely worth pursuing for that department.
  1. Project Highlights
  1. Student and Campus Life
  1. Club Recruitment Reform
  1. John: I had a great discussion paper about this in the past. Michael and I got the results from the survey we sent out last semester. The club recruitment process has been reported as very stressful and we now have concrete data on this. There should be something in place to make the transition between high school and college easier. There are info sessions, but students may not get into the club. There is an appetite for this resource. We talk a lot about clubs and organizations when we talk about Penn to potential students, but we need to push for preparedness in this transition. For the web resource, there is a need for student input. If you’re interested in joining a focus group this coming weekend, please reach out to me so that we can coordinate a meeting.
  2. Maria: Have you worked with Wharton Council? They also did a survey and are interested in working with you on this.
  3. Kristen: How do you think clubs will be held accountable for actual change?
  4. John: The project I am working on is a web resource. The practices themselves aren’t something we are working on specifically.
  5. Michael: The main body who can enforce these rules is SAC. They have the power to audit the groups and also freeze funding.
  6. Sravya: Wharton is making a one-stop portal for all things Wharton, including clubs, so I would speak to someone about that.
  7. Thomas: Have you thought about doing a Club Review?
  8. John: Yes, but it is much more controversial and not very easy logistically.
  9. Elena:A lot of the groups who are denied from SAC are  incentivized to try again because of feedback about their recruitment process.
  10. Michael: People are overwhelmingly unaware of the guidelines that SAC passed, and we are hoping to publicize this more.
  1. CAPS Mythbuster Posters
  1. Jess: This is basically a project to combat major myths about mental health. He will look into giving statistical data on this and collaborate with comm team to make it look great. Reach out to him about any myths you’d like to add.
  1. Equity and Inclusion
  1. Information Sessions for Less Advertised Wharton Concentrations
  1. Danny: The main goal of this project is to have professors and upperclassmen who are in lesser advertised concentrations host information sessions so that people in these less popular fields have a personal contact. I was advised to follow the College major dinner model.
  2. Sravya: They were against the idea because of the low turnout at events like this, also in Wharton 101 they cover a lot of the concentrations.
  3. Danny: In Wharton 101, they don't cover them all, but this would focus on those not covered in Wharton 101.
  1. Dining, Housing, and Transit
  1. Penn Lighting Project
  1. Kevin presented this at the FRES meeting. His main goal is to hold administrators accountable and to make students more aware of their input.
  1. Penn Transit Mobile Application
  1. Arjun: I participated in the demo of the new service. It will be called Penn Ride and Route, and will function as Uber or Lyft. Mrs. Lee-Kruger would like for us to promote the app once it’s live and also find groups who would use on a regular basis.
  2. Michael: What are your thoughts on the app?
  3. Arjun: It looks amazing and is like a free Uber for Penn’s campus.
  4. Kev: Have they thought about collaborating with Penn Labs on this app and potentially consolidating this into Penn Mobile?
  5. Arjun: There hasn't been any forward talk on who worked on this or on development with Penn Mobile, but I am pretty sure they want to keep the two separate.
  6. Quinn: Harvard has this model.
  7. Arjun: Yes we are following the model of Harvard and several other institutions.
  8. Ben: Is this the same service that previously existed or something new?
  9. Arjun: The rideshare service is completely new, but the routes will be the same.  
  1. Sustainability and Community Impact
  1. Penn Sports Clubs: Moratorium and Funding
  1. Ammar: I discussed this with Krone and Dave Leach about this issue.  The main problem is the moratorium on club sports. There are a lot of clubs that want to be recognized but are not able to be.  Penn barbell is a club that has showed interest and I have been trying to help them get funding and space. I will continue to work on this project.
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Student and Campus Life
  1. CAPS Undergraduate Embedded Model
  1. Jess: All of last year, Kev and I lobbied to get the embedded model in all four school undergraduate schools, and Wharton has now implemented this.
  2. Kev: Mary is continuing this project starting with Engineering.
  3. Arjun: Could you elaborate on the logistical concerns?
  4. Jess: The funding comes from Wharton directly so it is targeted toward Wharton students, but if a student is in need, they will not reject you.
  5. Ben: How long is the pilot program, and would it be made permanent?
  6. Jess: The pilot will run over this year, and they will keep it running even after the pilot. The data collection will help get this in the other schools.
  1. External Seats
  1. Dining Advisory Board
  1. Obed: Last week, Kev and I met with DAB. We talked about a lot of new initiatives as well as things that administrators are open to incorporating into future plans. There will be new program, the green flag system, for students who may be alone to talk to each other in dining halls.
  2. Kev: Business Services is rolling out a new app that is separate from Penn Mobile and we are working to bridge the gap between the two.
  3. Michael: The green flag system could be a more student run initiative through Table Talk. It would be more inviting this way.
  1. Board of Trustees Facilities and Campus Planning Committee
  1. Ben: Three specific projects were discussed: the pennovation startup initiative, the impact on west philly, and greek housing. I spoke about the implications of this specific policy. They would be open to promoting greek life in general.
  2. Elena: If the focus would be current junior and seniors there would be a lot of improvements to the existing facilities.  
  1. Board of Trustees Student Life Committee
  1. Michael: I gave a presentation on UA, specifically our club recruitment reform project at this meeting.
  1. Communications