School timing and duration
Last updated: March 2019
The objective of this policy is to ensure that school is providing sufficient instruction time to students.
This policy applies to all stakeholders i.e. parents, students, and staff.
School timings and duration have been fixed to keep learning / working smooth and ongoing.
Timing and Duration 2019-20
Early Year (Nu, Jr. KG, Sr. KG)
8:45 to 2:00
7.30 to 2:00
Middle Year & Diploma Programme
8.45 to 3.30
- The school timings/duration have been decided on taking into consideration the academic & extracurricular needs of the children. However, changes in the duration for different years may happen over the years as the needs of the children evolve and as our understanding of their needs gets better.
- Mid-year changes in timings, though unlikely are not completely ruled out but will be done only if there are compelling reasons for the same.
- Timings for the school can also change over the years as per the needs of the children as well as the need to optimize the transportation costs incurred by the parents. There will be consultation with the parents if major changes happen in the timings (of more than 30 minutes, changes minor than that will be communicated with sufficient notice).
- School timings will remain the same during the winter. We understand that in winters, the sun rises late and hence it's quite dark at the time of bus pickup for some students. We have explored the option of a delayed start by 20-30 minutes in winter. However, the bus schedules are back to back so if there is any delay in the morning slot, it will mean a subsequent time delay for every morning and afternoon route. Change in timings will disturb the routine for everyone since many students attend classes and extracurricular activities after school hours. Though we do not have extreme winters in Surat, we also think that leaving for school from home in winters when it is dark will help the students to understand seasons, day and night cycles in an experiential manner and also helps them to face their fears of darkness (if any).
Long working Hours for MY/DP:
- Late start to school is necessary so that we are able to optimize our bus usage. As the primary years come in at 7:30 it's not possible for the senior school too to come at the same time.
- And also there are researches that suggest that late timings are better for teenage students as they tend to sleep late. According to National Sleep Foundation biological sleep patterns shift toward later times for both sleeping and waking during adolescence -- meaning it is natural for teens to not be able to fall asleep before 11:00 pm and hence MYP/DP students come by later route which helps them get enough sleep even if they sleep by 11:00 pm