Always Comes Evening House Rules
San Francisco, CA
Last updated: 04/04/2019
Always Comes Evening is a World of Darkness vampire themed game with adult personal horror themes. Some content may be considered triggering for some participants. Always Comes Evening encourages open and clear communication between players and staff to ensure our game to be a fun and comfortable experience for our participants.
General Game Rules
The staff of Always Comes Evening reserves the right to alter any of the game rules below at any time if we feel it is in the best interests of fairness, balance, narrative of the game, or any other reason.
Who can play:
Anyone 18 years or older can play in ACE. Some minors may be allowed with prior ST approval and while under the supervision of their parent/guardian while at ACE.
We accept the following types of Characters: Camarilla, Anarch, Independent, and Giovanni Vampires; and Kuei-Jin. Infiltrators and Sabbat need to be notified to the STs before the player visits, so they can determine if the PC(s) can enter play.
By Signing into the game, you acknowledge that you are a responsible adult who is responsible for your own safety, and that you agree to these house rules and our code of conduct.
Code of Conduct/Disciplinary Actions:
- Be respectful of your fellow players and Storytellers.
- Safety for our players and Staff is to be considered our top priority. If any player or member of ACE staff feels another participant to be creating an unsafe space for them, ACE staff will look into the issue and consider a chronicle ban either temporarily or indefinitely. This will be handled on a case by case basis, and valid reasoning will need to be provided to ACE staff.
- ACE staff respects player autonomy and comfort. Although this is an adult themed game of horror, there is no reason for any player to feel uncomfortable out of character. If you feel at any time uncomfortable with how a scene is progressing either due to content or how staff/players are handling the scene, please ask for a pause to discuss with appropriate staff prior to continuing the scene.
- Fade to black situations are always permitted/acceptable at any point during a scene.
- If at any point a player feels a member of staff to be abusing their position or behaving inappropriately, we ask that you bring this to the attention of the HST and/or CM. The HST and/or CM will then mediate the situation and decide on the appropriate course of action for the situation.
- If a storyteller feels a player to be behaving inappropriately while signed into ACE, they can take any level of disciplinary action they feel to be appropriate to the situation. Any DA will be immediately reported to the HST and CM. Only the HST and CM can reverse DA taken against a player or member of staff.
- ACE will not run any scenes within the chronicle sov involving IC/OOC nonconsensual sexual content or forced pregnancies. If a player attempts to run a scene with another player involving either of these scenarios, the player may face any level of Disciplinary Action as decided by ACE staff including GNC of the PC and/or chronicle ban. Please see our banned content section for more information on this topic.
- If you choose to come to game inebriated you may be asked to leave by the ACE ST staff. Any IC actions taken while inebriated are considered valid IC actions.
- No touching of another player or ST, unless each participant involved has given direct and explicit consent. Any participant may be asked to leave immediately for inappropriate touching, followed by consideration for a game ban and OWBN Org disciplinary action.
- Verbal or written harassment of a Player or ST will not be tolerated under any circumstances. Any participant may be asked to leave immediately for harassment, followed by consideration for a game ban and OWBN Org disciplinary action. This includes any email/chat correspondence while portraying your ACE PC as well.
- No information gathered out of character (or as an alternate character) may be used in-character for any reason. This is considered metagaming, and classified as cheating.
- No cheating. If you are found cheating, you will be given a warning for your first offense. Depending on the level of cheating, the ST may decide to destroy the PC of the guilty party(s). For repeat offenders, you will be banned from participation in ACE, and OWBN Org disciplinary action will be considered.
- All character sheets and item cards must have an ACE ST signature/stamp to be usable in ACE. Any item cards that are checked into ACE may be transferred or destroyed at ST discretion while you are signed into the game.
- No participant as player character in any ACE scene, either in person or online, may also act as their own ST. All players must have a secondary Storyteller overseeing their scenes. If you are found to be STing for your own scenes, this will be classified as cheating.
- For clarification, this means that STs of a scene may not also be portraying their own player character in a scene, nor can any PC make final calls within a scene.
- Players can engage in scenes without an ST present, but at any point there is a disagreement regarding the scene is to be paused and a ST brought in.
- STs must be made aware of any noteworthy actions that should be noted on your sheet or kept on record.
- Disciplinary actions will be taken at ST discretion.
- Any breach of this Code of Conduct will be handled on a case by case basis as each situation is unique.
- Any repeat offenses will earn harsher repercussions.
- Repercussions could include, but are not limited to: Revoking of participation Exp, Administrative PC death, Chronicle ban, or proposal for One World By Night disciplinary action.
- Anyone can be temporarily or permanently banned from participating in ACE at any time for any reason for the safety, comfort, and fairness of ACE players and staff.
Signing into ACE:
All participation within the territory of Always Comes Evening is considered “hard proxy”. This means that any scenes or actions taken within Always Comes Evening’s territory will be treated with the same level of IC/OOC consequences as if you are signed into an in-person ACE game. For online scenes occurring within ACE’s territory an ACE ST must be included on all correspondence for it to be considered valid. Character sheets do not need to be submitted to ACE STs for most online scenes unless requested by a member of ACE ST staff.
For in-person ACE games, you must sign in with a ST prior to entering game. All character sheets and item cards must have an ACE ST signature/stamp to be usable in ACE. Any item cards that are checked into ACE may be transferred or destroyed at ST discretion while you are signed into the game.
Staying In Character:
If you are physically present at game and are in the process of speaking with or interacting with people who are IC, you are considered to be IC. To be OOC, you must have the appropriate hand signal up indicating that you are OOC, and must be speaking of OOC things, or speaking to an ST to “not be here”. If you wish to be OOC for more than a few minutes, please meet your friends away from the IC area and don’t interrupt gameplay.
Private meetings: Private meetings should not be held within view of other players. If you are standing, sitting or grouped in the view of players you are there unless you have a “Private Room” or “Not here” card, displayed prominently. Large official meetings must be notified to an ST, or have an ST present to be valid if chops are or might be thrown.
We use White Wolf’s Mind’s Eye Theater Laws of the Night Revised for our general rules, as well as supplemental genre packets unique to OWBN and various other books such as: Dark Epics, The Storyteller’s Guide, The Camarilla Guide, The Anarch Guide and Revised Clanbooks. Content from other sources is handled at ST discretion.
A PC is in contention when they are being sought by one or more PCs, or NPC’s (in or outside of ACE). If a PC survives for more than 3 game sessions of active RP (meaning they are AT game, in ACE, and IC the entire night) then they are considered to have slipped past the guard of their enemies and can then be shelved. If you never come to game, but piss off a group of people through DT and IC correspondence, they may be allowed to track you in downtime depending on the circumstances.
If you survive 3 games, and on the last RP session piss off a NEW set of people, you are now back in contention, and cannot shelve for another 3 games. This is subject to ST discretion
It is the responsibility of the aggressors to make their intentions known to the ACE ST staff, otherwise we will presume the PC got away with it, and they can shelve at any time.
If your PC becomes a significant issue in downtime scenes that it affects other areas or email lists to the point that you gain the attention of a Coord level NPC, your PC will not be shelved until that Coord NPC’s actions are resolved.
A player actively avoiding the consequences of their IC actions by not showing to game (as the PC in contention) in ACE, but showing in other games will be subject to any resolution the ST staff sees fit. This includes having your PC portrayed by an ST at ACE.
Red-lines will only be used in the most severe of cases and will be made at ST discretion. Redlines can only be made by the HST of ACE, and within the OWBN bylaws regarding redlines.
We currently allow Camarilla, Giovanni, Kuei-Jin, Independent or Anarch PC’s in game at this time. ACE STs can make exceptions. Camarilla and Kuei-Jin PCs are currently recommended and will be given more build points at creation.
Status & Clan Prestige can be bought at character creation limited to the current genre packets and bylaws.
Starting Generation: You may start as low as 11th generation without a background. Anything lower (10-8) requires a background and approval by ACE staff. The more detailed the background, the higher the chance we will approve a lower gen. Even if you have a PC sire, we will still require a background.
Clan Diversity: You may not play magic-using clans or play the same clan back to back, nor may you be in that clan as a ghoul. Please vary your characters. It will enrich your game experience.
We run character creation right out of the Laws of the Night. Please be aware that some clans are EXCEPTIONALLY structured and difficult to play and thus are not recommended for players new to OWBN. Some clans require Coord or Council approval before they can be played.
Please keep in mind that OWBN has its own genre packets and approvals structure. For concepts or powers that require Coordinator approval, the PC will remain unplayable until the proper approvals are in place.
All new characters must be submitted at book build from LoTN rev. without extra experience to the ACE staff for approval.
New characters may receive a maximum of 60 total starting experience as per the OWBN bylaws. ACE STs are not required to give the maximum 60 experience points.
New characters may receive bonus XP for playing under-represented clans or having a background, per ST discretion.
New characters will start with the following lores: sect, clan, creature type. This does not count against the starting build if you have no bonus exp.
A starting character may not buy any ability or discipline at higher than 3 (excluding Attribute Traits) without ST permission.
Earning Experience Points:
No PC can earn more than 8 exp per month per the OWBN bylaws.
Active PCs can earn exp from attendance, downtime actions, influence actions, RP nods, costuming nods, OWBN staff service, game service, or special event bonus exp.
Inactive PCs (has not attended for over 3 months) or shelved PCs cannot earn experience points until they have attended an in-person OWBN game and are considered active.
List PCs (email only) must have prior ST approval to participate in online scenes, downtimes, or earn experience.
Experience points are earned per the chart below:
- 4 exp for attending an ACE game
- 2 exp for visiting another OWBN game (max 4 exp per month for visiting other games)
- 1 exp per DT cycle for downtimes/influences/journals (2 exp max per month)
- 6 exp for OWBN volunteering/staff (applies to HSTs, ASTs, active Narrators, CMs, subCoords, and Coords; exp only applied to active PCs)
- 1 exp for at game ST nods (costuming/RP/etc)
Kublacon or other special event XP: Automatic monthly max for the month of the special event game. (Will not be applied to following month.)
Game Service: If you do something like assist with sign in, set up for Kublacon reliably, etc., you can earn 1 additional for doing so, or perhaps even a chance/retest card.
ACE based PCs must submit their attendance and other earned exp to the ACE Admin email for it to be applied to your sheet.
Character Sheet Maintenance/Format:
ACE uses Grapevine to maintain our character database. ACE PCs are maintained by ACE staff, not by players. Any sheets used in downtime or any games that have not been approved by ACE staff are not considered valid. Falsifying information on your character sheet is considered a breach of our CoC. If you feel there is an error on your character sheet, please report it to ACE staff immediately via email to the admin email account.
Player expectations and Responsibilities:
Any actions occurring within ACE chron sov must include an ACE ST or be reported to the ACE ST email account immediately due to the hard proxy rules of ACE. If the scene is on the ACE discord server, you do not need to report the scene to the ACE STs as all rooms are monitored by ACE staff.
Players are expected to report important IC exchange information or other relevant information to their STs in a timely manner, and is not the responsibility of ACE STs to report these actions to other STs. This is to help protect players and STs from cheating/metagaming. If players can not properly report the trail of information exchange or show proof of a scene occurring, it will likely be seen as not having occurred IC and the players involved may be considered for disciplinary action. Please see our code of conduct regarding metagaming and cheating.
ACE based PCs are expected to send transcripts of all downtime actions or a summary of downtimes run via chat/messenger to the ACE HST email account for record keeping. For the sake of proper record keeping, this should happen within 30 days of a scene/conversation. Examples of things that should be reported to STs include but are not limited to the following (These are IC things and not OOC discussions. OOC can not be used IC under any circumstance):
- Exchanging of blood with other PCs. This includes blood bonds between PCs and should be reported immediately to be added to your sheet. We will be including in your notes those your PC has bonded to them, and should also be logged with the STs.
- Critical information regarding other PCs or NPCs that could lead to serious IC consequences for either party.
- Plans to take action against a PC or NPC in any way.
- Actions that could directly lead to changes on your character sheet, such as actions to change your path rating or lose a flaw/gain a merit.
- Learning disciplines/abilities/etc from PCs or NPCs.
If players have a conversation with a player, ST, Coord, etc ICly about any information that you believe should be shared with your STs for accountability, please send us a summary via email of the conversation including names and dates of the conversation.
The STs should not have to watch over your shoulder with everything you do, and ACE staff feels that players can take responsibility for their own actions. We highly suggest that if ACE PCs run a scene at any non-ACE game, event game, or online discord scene that you send a brief summary of important actions taken with any PCs/NPCs/STs/Coords as soon as possible to ensure that those actions are logged in case of discrepancies or disagreements. Sometimes there are disagreements over how a scene went or what was shared ICly, and we find it is best that players log as much of that as they can to protect themselves in case of these situations.
***What are downtimes: Downtimes are emails, discord scenes, and scenes that happen outside of a game’s gather or event. They do not include online gathers or if you travel to another game in person.***
Online Scenes via email, discord, or chat are considered downtime actions unless otherwise stated by the HST of ACE. This does not include Online gathers run via discoord by ACE or other OWBN games. Online downtime scenes occurring outside of ACE via discord are allowed with the assumption that you are signed into the hosting chronicle. Any important information shared or significant actions that occur during these scenes should be reported to the ACE HST email for better record keeping: firstname.lastname@example.org
ALL online scene or downtime hosted within ACE territory is considered a “hard proxy”. Sheets will only be required when a member of ACE ST staff requests sheets from the participants’ STs. Online scenes hosted in ACE territory must adhere to ACE’s house rules and Code of Conduct. If the online scene/downtime involves a PC from another game, a member of their ST staff must also be included on email correspondence.
For online discord gathers, please see the Traveling section.
Only downtimes submitted to the official Always Comes Evening ST email account are considered valid downtime actions. If a scene is being run with an AST/Narrator, Sub-Coord/Coord, another PC, or outside ST the main ST account must be CCed on all emails for your actions within ACE to be considered valid or to be able to earn exp. Please do not use Facebook as a means to contact any ACE staff members for official questions/concerns.
There are two downtime cycles per month (which may change at staff discretion):
- 1st cycle: begins on the 4th Friday of the month, and ends on the 2nd Thursday of the month (Thursday before ACE game)
- 2nd cycle: begins on the 2nd Friday of the month, and ends on the 4th Thursday of the month.
During downtime you may have as many actions as seems reasonable for a two week period of nights. We aren’t really regulating the total amount of activity you may pursue; just use common sense. We will tell you if your PC does too much at once.
You may teach any 2 things per downtime (disciplines, Lores, etc), and learn any 2 things per downtime (see XP purchase rules below).
You may only purchase a maximum of 2 of any category of XP purchases per downtime cycle. For example, you can buy 2 disciplines, and 2 backgrounds in 1 DT, but not 3 disciplines, or 3 attributes, etc.
Influences count as backgrounds for this purpose. So you may purchase 2 dots of Occult influence in one downtime, or one dot of contacts and one dot of Occult influence, but not two dots of influence and one dot of contacts in the same downtime.
We use the Dark Epics growth actions for building influence with changes at the discretion of the STs.
A Teacher is required for your PC to learn all non-clan disciplines, unusual abilities (anything you couldn’t learn at the gym, night, school, Khan Academy, etc.), all Lores, and anything else the Staff deems necessary.
- The teacher must have the level higher than you wish to learn in order to teach you.
If you are visiting ACE - Character sheets must be sent to us no later than 7pm Thursday night before the game you wish to attend. If we don't receive your sheet you must have a current (unaltered: no pen/pencil additions) sheet signed off by your storyboard on your person when you visit game.
Without a sheet in advance, custom powers may be redlined.
Overpowered sheet elements or items in general may be removed to preserve game balance in ACE.
If you are going TO another Chronicle, please request you sheet to be sent no later than Wednesday at 7:00 pm the week you wish to visit the other game.
Online gathers are considered traveling to another chron sov. Online gathers may not allow you to gain the same amount of experience for attendance, and will be determined by the ACE STs.
It is the responsibility of the player of a PC to report significant events/actions/shared IC information to their STs.
Transferring Home Chronicles for your PC:
In order to transfer any PC’s housed into or out of our chronicle you must notify both our board and the board you wish to transfer the PC(s) to/from in writing via email. BOTH boards must agree to the transfer.
Either board has a right to refuse the transfer for any reason.
If you feel your PC is being unreasonably blocked from transferring into or out of ACE, Exec may become involved to mediate.
NO transfer of a PC will be approved if the PC is in contention.
Active/Inactive/Shelved/Retired PC Status:
- Active: An Active PC is one that does not fit the definition of Shelved, Inactive or Retired.
- Shelved: Your PC is considered to be shelved if you report to us you intend to shelve. Once it is “on the shelf” nothing in game will affect it physically until you have un-shelved the PC. However, your character is effectively paused. You cannot communicate IC, either in scenes or online, in any way.
- Inactive: Your PC will be designated as Inactive if you do not attend game for 3 months and is not in contention. Inactive PCs will be treated in a similar manner to Shelved PCs.
- LIST PC: You may arrange, with the staff, to run your PC over the lists should things such as LIFE get in the way of coming to game. We must have written notice of why you need to run a list pc, and your approximation of when you can return to game. Your PC is subject to any and all downtime attacks, haven hunting, etc as any other active PC is. The same goes for ‘Con PCs’. Once you attend a game outside of ACE, you must attend an ACE game in order to maintain active status.
- Retired: Sometimes playing a PC loses its fun. You may retire your PC at any time, for any reason, and in any state of play. The PC will become an NPC of ACE. At that point, make a new PC, and enjoy! The ST board has the right to run your PC in order to finish any plotline you have created. You may not argue with the ST staff on how your Retired PC is played.
You may only play one character per genre actively at one time in ACE (A Giovanni, Independent/Anarch, Kuei Jin or Camarilla character). If one of your PCs is in contention, you MUST play that PC until the contention is resolved or 3 months pass.
- You may not portray two separate PCs in the same DT scene or discord scene.
- If you wish to portray two PCs in a live game, you may only be signed in as one PC at a time. To switch characters you must sign out of one PC, and sign in as the other. You can only earn exp for one PC for attendance in one night.
Kuei-Jin: Rules for the KJ will be run using Laws of the East, as well as the OWBN KJ Genre packets. Anything custom will be reviewed on a case by case basis by the ACE STs.
Anarch: Same as Camarilla PCs, except utilizing appropriate OWBN Genre packets and per ACE ST approval.
All other Vampire sects: Will utilize the same rules as Camarilla and OWBN Genre Packets per ACE ST approval.
Non Vampires will be approved for play within ACE Chron Sov on a case by case basis by ACE STs.
Body and Item Cards:
- Unless noted on the card and signed by the ST staff, all items will use stats from the Dark Epics item rules.
- All item cards used must be presented when in use. Players or storytellers in a scene have a right to ask to see the card.
- All item cards must be signed and Stamped by an ACE storyteller before they can be used.
- Item cards that are found on a table, the street, etc become the property of the finder, as if they had found the actual object lying about. The item card is only considered found if the player/PC dropped it, or if it was taken off a torpored or ashed victim. Players removing cards from a jacket, purse, car, someone’s house etc will likely be subject to GNC and a game strike at the discretion of the ST staff.
- It IS good form to ask an ST before simply keeping unattended item cards.
- Item cards are not required for minor items, such as $20 cash, a Swiss Army Knife, or basically anything you can buy at a 7-11.
- As stated previously, item cards checked into ACE can be confiscated, transferred to another PC or destroyed by an ST. Just because you wrote an item card or created it, you may not claim it’s your personal property to prevent an ST from taking it.
- If a character leaves their "real" body (i.e. possession suit, psychic projection, etc.) then a card stating where the body is must be given to the Storytellers before entering play.
- Players "real" bodies must at all times be within the boundaries of the ACE chronicle.
- If a Body Card is not turned in to an ST it will be assumed that character is in their real body.
- When using Possession or Subsume the Spirit a card for the Ghoul/Animal used must be on the player at all times.
- Any Staked or Torpored bodies must be represented by Body Cards signed off by ACE Storytellers.
- Bodies brought into ACE from out of town must also be cleared by the ACE Staff.
- To prevent possible problems, an ST must be present in any scene where a character is staked or otherwise made into a Body Card.
- If there is not an ST signature on a Body Card for a scene, it is redlined.
Lost Body Cards, Item Cards, IC Props, etc.:
Character sheets: Your character sheet is not an item card; it merely represents what your PC has within their own person, and as such, if you lose your “soul” (IE: drop your character sheet), it cannot be used against you. If you find someone else’s sheet, you are required to turn it in to our board or the player it belongs to. If it is found in your possession, and has not been turned in right away, disciplinary actions may ensue.
IC Props: If you find someone’s prop lying about, you can bring it to the ST board, and we will write an item card for it, so your PC has it. Then we will inform the owner that the item is no longer in their possession but WILL be giving the physical prop back to them. They cannot use that prop unless they either make /find/buy a new one IC, or they get their toy back IC. Props cannot, in any way, take the appearance of anything that could be mistaken for a weapon.
Item or Body cards: If found, please see a member of staff immediately to see if your PC “found” this ICly or not. Just because you found the item card OOC does not mean your PC found the item IC.
Blood and Feeding Rules:
Currently all characters enter play at full blood minus one for waking up for the evening. There may be situational reasons why this may not be the case for plot reasons.
These rules are subject to change in the future.
- No PC regardless of amount of appearance based social traits will be considered inhumanely beautiful to the point of breaking the masquerade. Some elder NPCs may have this, but no PC will break the masquerade simply for having an excessively high amount of appearance traits.
Backgrounds, Influences, Havens, and Mentors:
Your overall security is a combination of your resource level and the level of the background Haven. If you have not submitted where your haven is located, you are considered to be living in the Van under the Freeway. Haven defenses can either be specific or generic, depending on how much of a write up you send in. The level of resources expended for each haven determines how safe you are. We encourage being creative. (We do have the right to refuse a Haven that we feel is meant only to kill other PC’s.) You are considered to be at your own haven by dawn each evening unless you submit to our board a notice telling us where your PC is staying. The notice must be submitted, either in writing at the end of the game, or in writing online. Maintaining a Haven in another Chronicle is not allowed at this time without prior ST approval. If you want to have someone stay in your haven, they must submit to our board and their board (if applicable) that they are doing so. They are subject to the mercies of your haven’s securities, and are considered to be at our mercy if they are staying at a location controlled by our Board.
Haven Hunting IS allowed:
If you wish to Haven Hunt, you must send a detailed description of what you are doing, what resources you are using, and run the chops during game or via e-mail. Your success will vary depending on the various factors involved. Retired PC’s who are in our control can still be found and hunted. Hunting PC’s who are shelved will not work. You may choose to hunt NPCs at your own risk. Haven Hunting in other domains is subject to the House Rules and the ST board of the domain in question; we have zero control over that situation.
Mentor points are built through RP. Mentors are Elders or those with Elder level Knowledge or power. You can have a mentor in our game, or any other game, as long as that chronicle is willing to run them. We have the right to veto anything the mentor teaches/gives you if we feel it is not realistic for your PC to have convinced said elder to do. There is no timetable for building mentors, it is all IC. You may request that the mentor level go “up a notch” if you have been RPing favorably with the NPC. You can lose mentor points by acting like a rube. The powers and limitations of mentors are at the whim of the ST staff. Mentors will not act as bodyguards for PCs under any circumstances. They are characters with their own agendas that may not align conveniently with their protégés.
You may have up to 5 total retainers. Each one may be up to 5 points. This is for a total of 25 points in retainers. Stats for these will be done on a case by case basis. If you wish your retainers to have influence of their own/ increase your total influence cap, here’s the formula. Each retainer (that is not an animal, wraith, or anything other than a person) increases your PCs influence cap by 1 point as per 105 of Laws of the Night. Retainers may not use backgrounds themselves.
Merits and Flaws:
- Shaman: Players are required to have the official write up in the notes section on their sheet for this merit to be usable in ACE.
- Supernatural Ally: Not to be confused with Supernatural retainers. This merit allows you to invest your Allies background in an individual NPC with supernatural abilities. In addition to the rules noted for the Allies background, such an Ally has access to two supernatural powers per trait invested. These allies are generally not supposed to be working with vampires and so are universally young or lower powered members of their group. ACE staff may change these limitations on a case by case basis as is appropriate for thematic purposes. All Supernatural Allies are to be run by ACE staff as chronicle NPCs, and players may not portray their Supernatural Ally in DT scenes or at game. Specific limitations include but are not limited to:
- Fae: Changelings or other Fae characters are approved on a case by case basic by the ACE staff.
- Hedge Mage: Numinous mortals or hedge mage allies may not have Numina or Sorcery higher than Intermediate.
- Shapechangers: Garou and Fera allies cannot exceed rank 2, and will not have out of breed/auspice/tribe gifts.
- Spirit: A spirit ally has 6 traits of essence and two charms per point invested.
- Wraith: A Wraith ally may not have Arcanoi greater than Intermediate.
Blood Bonds, Sympathetic links to objects, Preserving Vitae, and Supernatural Retainers:
- A two trait blood bond will decrease by one trait after 12 - Permanent Willpower months, with a minimum of one month, the same as a three trait bond as described in the book. A one trait bond will fade after one month, regardless of the Thrall's will power.
- The time spent away from the Regnant must be spent actively avoiding contact with them. Time spent staked or in Torpor does not qualify. It's not about the amount of time that passes, but the act of will resisting the bond.
- This time must be demonstrated with role play. At least one downtime journal per month demonstrating the struggle with the bond is required for the month to count.
- Avoiding contact means all contact. Even emails to mutual lists will qualify as contact. This does not include being present at the same game. If both the thrall and Regnant are present at a game together, the thrall must show active avoidance via RP.
- Blood bonds do not break when the Thrall is embraced.
- Blood bonds of two or three points do not “break or snap” when the Regnant is killed. One point bonds may be broken at the time of the Regnant’s death per ST discretion.
- The thrall is aware supernaturally of their Regnant’s death and will need to make a static challenge to avoid frenzy.
- The thrall will continue to act in their Regnant’s stead until the bond fades.
- The bond will naturally fade over time per the same rules listed previously.
- All blood/vitae is subject to spoiling if not properly preserved. This can be done through magical or mundane methods.
- If you have collected the blood of a PC or NPC, you must list on the card how it is being stored, or it will assume to have spoiled after a certain amount of time has passed. Spoiled blood cannot be used as a sympathetic link or any other form of magical/medical testing.
- Dried blood on fabrics does not “soil” but is only usable by methods that strictly allow for use of dried blood, and does in fact count as a sympathetic link. The sympathetic link is broken if the material with the dried blood is destroyed through degradation or other methods. The blood is able to be washed out of the fabric as well, rendering the blood/vitae inert as a sympathetic link.
Sympathetic Links to Objects:
- Objects with significant meaning/connection to a PC or NPC will not have the sympathetic link fade over time. These items cards should be more detailed in description, and this will be determined at ST discretion.
- Example: A handkerchief given to an individual from their human parents prior to embrace will hold more meaning and not fade.
- Objects without significant meaning/connection to a PC or NPC will have the sympathetic link fade over time.
- Example: A pen the Harpy used only a handful of times will have a temporary sympathetic link that will fade after 6 months to 1 year at ST discretion.
Supernatural Retainers including Human Ghouls (NPC Only):
- All NPC Supernatural Retainers must be listed on your sheet under backgrounds with their name and an accompanying sheet of the same name to be useable during game or DT for more than just flavor.
- Example: you do not need a sheet for the ghoul that pick you up from gather. If your ghoul engages in a high speed freeway chase following gather with you in the car, a sheet may be required or the ghoul will be treated as if it has no sheet with auto lose on ties without any retests.
- Human Ghouls: To utilize the abilities/influences of a ghoul an approved sheet must be provided to ACE staff. If this is an ACE based ghoul NPC, then ACE STs will need a character sheet on file in the Database for the retainer to be used for influence or background type actions.
- Umbra Spirits: Must have a sheet with the appropriate traits and description for all charms listed. You must be able to site the exact source material for their charms if requested by ACE STs.
- Break Reality and other such powerful charms are only usable by ACE staff, not PCs.
- Wraiths: Must have a sheet with the appropriate traits and description for all abilities/powers. You must be able to site the exact source material for their abilities if requested by ACE STs.
- All other supernaturals: Must have an approved sheet to be usable during game or mechanically during DT. Some may be just for flavor and may not engage in any challenges or to be used for influences/backgrounds/etc.
Abilities: Standard, Performance/Crafts, Languages:
Standard abilities found in Grapevine, WITHOUT being added as a custom addition, can be purchased at the normal rate, as described in the Downtime Actions section. You may specialize in almost anything with valid IC reasons, and must assign them to an appropriate ability. IE: Your PC is a doctor. You would take Medicine with specializations possible in fields such as Surgery, Neurology, or Obstetrics. Specializations: Specializations may be in a specific level of a discipline, but not the entire discipline. So you may have Animal Ken spec: Quell the Beast, but not Animal Ken spec: Animalism. You must have Level 3 in the ability before you can attach a specialization to it. All abilities will be held to what is common sense for a PC to be able to learn in a certain time frame
You may pick one native language at creation. You do not need the language ability for it. Any additional language needs a teacher and you must spend the points for it if needed.
Rules for Languages as contained in Kindred of the East, which are as follows:
- 1 level - 1 additional
- 2 levels - 2 additional
- 3 levels - 4 additional
- 4 levels - 8 additional
- 5 levels - 16 additional
Someone with Linguistics level 5 would know a total of 17 languages
The Natural Linguist merit doubles the number of available languages.
Lore is representative of what a character knows on a subject outside of what they have direct experience with ICly. One does not need Lore to talk about areas they have personally experience in play but they do need Lore to fill in the details surrounding that topic that weren’t brought up. You may not use your own personal OOC knowledge to fill in details that your PC does not know ICly.
OWBN Packets: OWBN Packets act as the standard for lore knowledge IF they include lores in specific. Any other information a lore contains is up to the STs
Learning/Teaching Lores: Any character may learn a lore from a teacher that has one more level of the lore than they are teaching, without the need for other teachers. For example, you can teach a lore at level 3 if you currently possess the lore at level 4. This will still require ST approval, especially for rare/uncommon Lores.
- A character may produce a number of crafted items per downtime equal to their relevant crafts rating. This does make these pieces highly crafted or masterpieces.
- A character producing an artistic work must first choose a primary crafts for the item. The maximum crafts rating of the final result is limited by this ability. You must win the number of challenges equal to the crafts rating you wish the item to be.
- Example: You wish to create a Crafts x 5 Watercolor painting. First you would expend a level of crafts: watercolor painting to engage in either a mental or social challenge. You must win 5 challenges.
- If you win the challenge without retest, you are not down the craft level used to engage in the challenge.
- If you tie and have more traits than the difficulty level, you are not down the craft level used to engage in the challenge.
- If you tie and do not have more traits than the difficulty level, or lose the challenge, you are down the craft level used to engage in the challenge.
- The difficulty rating for each crafting challenge is 3 times the craft level you wish to achieve.
- Ex: You tie in the first of your challenges to make your Crafts x5 watercolor painting. You must compare your current traits plus your current level of crafts: watercolor to the difficulty of 15 traits. If you bit equal to or lower you must retest. If you bid higher, you win that challenge.
- You may use appropriate combos/disciplines/abilities to retest at ST discretion. The difficultly for ties would be against 3 times the level of craft rating.
- This process could take more than one DT session, especially for multiple types of crafts.
- You may choose to leave the piece at a lower craft rating equal to the number of challenges won. For instance, if you wish to create the crafts x5 painting, but continue to lose after winning 3 of the 5 challenges, you may choose to keep the piece at crafts x3 rating rather than continue on for a crafts x5 rating.
General Rules Clarifications:
Trait Cap: Characters may bid double the generation maximum for their original generation. (28 for an 8th gen PC). Potency of Blood cannot improve this.
Trait Stacking: Bonus traits from only a single source of each of the following may be bid in a single challenge: specialization, merit, item, fetish, ritual, discipline.
Generally speaking, abilities, backgrounds, merits and some specific things that only appear in 1 Clan’s genre material, will only be available to the Clan. So for example, only Nosferatu may have the merit False Reflection.
- In order to teach a combo power a PC must have at least one of the disciplines of the power in clan.
- No power that gives ties against another power works on disciplines above its level, or the highest level in the case of combination disciplines. For example, Iron Heart is not effective against powers above level 3 and Path of Mars level 1 is not effective against powers above level 1. Characters with Puissance do not get ties against characters with Potence or Celerity 6.
- Auspex vs Obfuscate: Page 108 of Laws of the Night says that ‘you cannot use Willpower to see through Obfuscate.’ Page 137 says the opposite. Page 161 says ‘hidden individuals cannot use Willpower to defend against Auspex challenges to Obfuscate.’ Here’s how it works in Always Comes Evening:
- Willpower may be used by the defender as a retest in any mental or social challenge. So if someone initiates a mental challenge to use their Auspex to break through someone else’s Obfuscate, the defender (the one using Obfuscate) can retest with Willpower. If someone initiates a mental challenge using Obfuscate level 4 to disappear, anyone in the vicinity who is trying to keep track of them is the defender in the challenge, and can retest with Willpower as normal. In other words, the defender may always use Willpower to retest a mental or social challenge. There are no special rules for Auspex and Obfuscate and Willpower.
- Feral Whispers: You can only communicate with animals. Two kindred cannot speak to each other using Feral Whispers unless one of them is in an animal form. Both PCs must have feral whispers to communicate in this way. Kindred may not use feral whispers to speak to each other while both are in their human forms.
- Quell the Beast: This lasts for the remainder of the scene, not the entire night. Permanent Willpower points may still be spent while Quelled.
- Subsume the Spirit: See Body Card rules! You may expend 3 mental traits to have access to Obfuscate while using Subsume the Spirit. Your physical body must be in ACE chron sov when using this power.
- Aura Perception: Reading someone’s Aura is a static challenge. It allows you to read another’s aura, but that alone is not directly a lie detector. Your PC needs to be experienced enough with the target’s aura in order to see the differences between a normal aura and a “lying” one. Abilities such as empathy, interrogation, and psychology will aid in determining if someone’s aura indicates they are actually lying.
- Spirits Touch: Is run per the book. You may also gain a temporary derangement if the ST feels it's warranted.
- Telepathy: People don't remember every little thing they ever see. Sometimes a deep probe simply cannot get you the information you want. Sometimes you need to give a verbal command to get the information to bubble up. You can't deep probe for "things you don't want me to know" without actually asking the person to make them think of it. You CAN, however, probe for "What did you do last Tuesday?" or "Did you kill Mr. X?" without anyone knowing you're in their head, as long as it is the subject of conversation. All uses of Deep Probe require a storyteller.
- Psychic Projection: You may not spend blood while in Astral Form. Your physical body must be in ACE chron sov when using this power. You may attempt to track someone’s body using their silver cord; an ST will determine the difficulty. You can also attack their silver cord. You may only use powers in Astral which do not require blood. You must manifest to use any power which requires being seen. Manifesting requires 1 willpower per round.
- If you wish an unbelievable or hostile illusion to affect multiple people, you must challenge each of them. Non-hostile and believable illusions require no chops.
- Horrid Reality: The Chimerstry user does not necessarily know details about the victim. These details could render the illusion ineffective if they lose their disbelief chop. For example, if a victim has had a heart removed via Serpentis and the illusion is to stake them, the illusion could fail. If a victim of the staking illusion burns Aegis after losing the challenge, the illusion of staking them could fail as it will not be believable. If the Chimerstry user is crafty, they can get around this with St discretion and a disbelief chop.
- To determine the order of actions in combat, we compare Initiative. Initiative is determined by adding your base traits (depending on whether you type of action is mental, social, or physical) to your levels of celerity. This only counts for ACTIVE celerity.
- Alacrity: Alacrity grants you one action which does not require a chop, such as drawing a weapon, taking 3 steps, or pointing.
- Fleetness: 5 can be used while shooting a gun, in addition to dodging gun fire.
- Voice of Madness: this is run per LoTN p.145 with the clarification that it must be declared at the time of use to the narrator of the scene who you wish to target with this power. As it states in LoTN, it “may” effect multiple targets, but that is not assumed when used in ACE.
- Total insanity: Run per Laws of the Night, PG: 146, with this modification:
- This power lasts an hour, not the remainder of the evening. If you have more active derangements than your temporary willpower traits, you lapse into a non-functional, psychotic state wherein you can only take defensive actions. Other effects may occur at ST discretion.
- Any uses of dominate level 2 and up require a storyteller. It's generally a good idea to get a story-teller for any complex Dominate work so we can verify its legitimacy and that it is properly worded.
- Forgetful Mind cannot "scan for memory alterations" but can make a static challenge against the Dominator’s traits to tell if a specific memory is false. The more believable the false memory to the victim, the harder it is to detect by the person using Dominate.
- You may expend 3 mental traits to have access to Obfuscate while using Possession.
- Endurance: Allows you to ignore ALL wound penalties
- Resilience/Resistance: If you have Aegis, you win ties in the challenges to test down.
- Aegis: Even if you have exhausted your temporary Willpower Traits, you can still power Aegis. Likewise, if challenges have reduced your available temporary Physical Traits below three, you can still expend permanent Physical Traits to power Aegis normally. Quell the Beast does not stop the ability to expend permanent willpower to activate Aegis. You must declare the use of Aegis before the “placement” throws in order to avoid being staked.
- Celerity breaks obfuscate at levels over 1 (Alacrity). Celerity is a physical interaction with your environment. Add the highest level of Obfuscate you possess to your traits in tests using or defending your Obfuscate. Conversely, Auspex level is added to the traits of defenders or those attempting to break your use of Obfuscate. Obfuscate levels are added to your traits even if the opposition does not have Auspex.
- Mask of 1,000 Faces: This power does not alter clothing, nor can it hide wounds. If you have recently had your head set on fire, you'll be an ambiguperson with a burnt face.
- Unless otherwise specified in the individual power description, all uses of Obtenebration require actual shadows of at least somewhat commensurate size in order to generate the desired effect. (Each Arm of the Abyss requires at least a roughly child-sized area of shadow to spring from, just to get the ball rolling.) Shadows must be genuine cast shadows, not just areas of “less light” — an area must be well and truly dark in order to be a candidate for use/manipulation with this Discipline. Thus players should bear in mind that in order to summon a truly impressive number of tentacles or other effects from this Discipline, they may have to first extinguish some existing light sources and/or supernaturally shift and stretch local shadows to their liking beforehand. Obtenebration resonates within the Shadowlands as a manifestation of the thing all wraiths fear the most. They will avoid it at all costs. Spectres, on the other hand, love Obtenebration. Obten may be visible in other planes at ST discretion.
- Shroud of Night: This power blocks line of sight. Targets within can only be identified if they make a noise as loud as a gunshot or if they attack you within melee distance. While within the Shroud you have the negative physical trait of “clumsy” and suffer a 2 point penalty to perception mental traits. Each round you must also test for blindness. Heightened Senses and Eyes of the Beast will not allow the identification of targets, but will lower the negative mental traits imposed by one each. The blindfighting ability can be used as a retest against the Blindness challenge while within the Shroud. You may also use Cat-like balance to negate the “clumsy” negative trait if you also have the blindfighting ability (cat-like balance can not be used on its own to negate the “clumsy” trait). You may not stack blindfighting with Eyes of the beast or Heightened Senses.
- Arms of the Abyss: You may only summon a number of Arms equal to the number of levels of Obtenebration you possess.
- Black Metamorphosis/Tenebrous Form: If you have levels of Abyss Lore, you may alter the outward appearance of your Black Met. This will have no effect on the mechanics of the power, but will allow customization for aesthetics benefit.
- There is no hitting for distance in Always Comes Evening.
- Potence may not be used to jump like a superhero (There is an elder power for that).
- A character with potence is strong enough to lift 200 lbs per level of Potence.
- A character with potence may break sturdy items of a crafts rating BELOW their potence rating. Ex: Someone with Puissance could break down a crafts 4 iron door, but not crafts 5.
- Prowess: All Physical traits can be returned by using Prowess. Prowess is usable once per night as normal.
- Might is only the last retest in the challenge for the player who bids it. Opponents are not restricted on retests thrown.
- Vigor: You don’t have to declare the bomb.
- Puissance: You break most normal weapons. A melee or thrown weapon must have a crafts 5 rating to insure you do not break it.
- Shape of the Beast: Any beast form has to be thematically appropriate to Vampire the Masquerade. For visiting PCs, forms will be changed to Wolf and Bat if the ST decides that a character’s form powers are not thematically appropriate. We will otherwise use the rules in the Gangrel Clan book for this discipline.
- Awe cannot be used as a retest for Summon unless you have line of sight. You must be within Line of Sight of your target to use Awe. Awe cannot cancel Awe.
- Summoning: You CAN summon to a Boot party in ACE. Once you see the summoner, if you know IC they are hostile, you can try and run. If you are being summoned, it is considered cheating to indicate in any way that you are going somewhere against your will. However, asking someone to walk with you to finish a conversation is legit if you were summoned mid-topic. You may not Summon someone while Obfuscated. If you Summon someone then activate Obfuscate, the Summon ends. You will not leave active combat if summoned. The summoning will take effect once you are able to leave relatively safely. You may expend a willpower to postpone responding to a summon for 10 minutes.
- Majesty: The person breaking majesty is considered the defender. There is no obvious boundary for Majesty. Majesty’s power over you depends on whether you are focused on the Majestic person or not. If you are in the immediate vicinity, and able to see and hear the target, you are affected. If you are in a corner of a room and not paying attention to the hullabaloo in the center, you are not affected. If you look at a target through a sniper scope, you have brought yourself within the influence of the target’s Majesty and are affected by it. However if you aim at a target a long distance away that you can’t even see, and fire a catapult (or howitzer if you have the item card) at it, you are not affected by that Majesty. This cannot be canceled using Quietus.
- Only Quietus in Laws of the Night is used by PCs in Always Comes Evening.
- Silence of Death: This discipline does not prevent Blood Magic users from using Blood Magic (unless the power specifies that the recipient must be able to hear the caster). The sphere of silence created by this power dampens all noise within it. You cannot use it to have a conversation with someone unheard.
- Scorpions Touch and Baal’s Caress: Coated weapons are limited to their bonus traits. Per the Laws of the Night, Pg 171, you can coat nothing smaller than a dagger. You cannot coat bullets. Example: A +2 trait weapon can hold two levels of Scorpion's touch OR 1 Scorpion's Touch and 1 Baal's Caress. Each coat requires a blood point. Remember that a weapon with a kindred ward CANNOT be coated with Quietus blood unless the kindred coating it is immune to the ward. Otherwise the blood just burns off.
- Scorpion's Touch: Traits lost to Scorpion's touch are cumulative but can be refreshed with willpower or Prowess (provided the trait lost is one that would be refreshed with Prowess). Blood traits cannot be lost permanently due to Scorpion's Touch, but physical traits gained with blood can be removed.
- All Thaumaturgy powers require the expenditure of blood unless otherwise noted in the power description.
- The rule of three will be used in most cases where traits must be spent to fuel the power. Path of Transmutation is a notable exception. Others may occur and the ST has the final say.
- We reserve the right to alter any paths and rituals we feel are unbalanced, even if we don't list them all here.
- You may cast up to your Occult level in personal rituals at the start of game. These rituals may not be offensive in nature. There is no test for these rituals.
- Basic rituals take 10 minutes, Int. take 20 minutes, and advanced take 30 min.
- Thaumaturgy actions occur on initiative as normal.
- Methods of mystically storing blood: See the feeding rules for more information.
- No Path or Ritual of Thaumaturgy can be blocked using Silence of Death.
Paths of Thaumaturgy:
- Gaol requires a mental v. Physical challenge against a sentient target. Mental traits that fuel the power are spent only on a successful challenge.
- Readiness: does not provide three additional mental traits for Thaumaturgy. It only applies to logic, investigation, memory or reasoning.
- Perfect Clarity: This discipline is does not give the user ties in Majesty challenges.
- Astral Cant: This allows the user to attempt to communicate with spirits already present in the area. It does not compel the umbral spirits to speak with you, nor does it compel the truth.
- Voice of Command: This does not allow you to summon spirits to you. You may use this ability on umbral spirits already in the nearby vicinity of reasonable distance.
- Entrap Ephemera (Fetishes): We reserve the right to veto any fetish we feel is over-powered at any time. All fetishes must be activated with willpower and chops per The Guide to the Camarilla. All fetishes must have a drawback. If a fetish is signed in without one, one will be added per ST discretion. PCs can only carry as many Fetishes as they have dots in Occult. Any item can only have one spirit bound into it.
- Note when using spirits: a write up of any charm used by the spirit must be provided to the STs at the time you wish to have the spirit use the charm. Only charms from approved source materials are allowed to be used in ACE.
- Potentially game breaking/altering charms such as break reality are not usable by Spirits commanded by PCs.
Rituals (this is for all rituals regardless of paradigm):
- Scry: Does not use up or break a sympathetic link of an object.
- Principle Focus of vitae infusion: When in combat, these must be individually activated manually at a rate of 1 per round. You must activate them in your mouth, swallowing them ahead of time will not work. See the feeding rules for further information.
- Stone of the True Form: May only be used if you have the ritual on your sheet.
- Pavis of the Foul Presence: Only functions on Presence levels 1 through 4. The power simply makes Presence ineffective against the user, it does not reflect the power. The person using the Presence power is unaware to the reason the power has failed.
- Engage the Vessel of Transference: The Vessel can hold 2 blood traits at most. A description of the item must be given to the potential victim if the item is being handed to them by the caster, or prior notice must be given to the ST staff if the item is left somewhere in the gather location or scene for “passive use”. If they have Occult 4 or higher they can make a perception chop to notice the hermetic sigils. For those who win their perception chop: only those who have previously learned what a Vessel of Transference is would recognize these sigils, others would simply recognize it as a magical item.
- Eyes of the Past: Will only function on the immediate area. If cast in a room/elevator/van/whatever, you will not be able to see out the doors or windows of the room in the past. If done outside a building, you won’t be able to see in the building. If done in a field, you will only be able to see the area around you approximately the size of a large room. In other words, you have to be in the place where you want to look, in order to look back in time there; you can’t examine the past in a location that you are not in. You must be willing to risk entering a place to look into the past there. It does not see through Obfuscate, and you cannot use Auspex while using Eyes of the Past.
- Illuminate the Trail of Prey: may be used in conjunction with eyes of the past. This ritual will auto fail when tracking a target after 30 days have passed even if used with Eyes of the Past.
- Amulet of Mnemosyne: These amulets may only be used by those who have the ritual on their sheet. Memories cannot be stored or accessed by those who do not have the ritual at the time of use.
- Soul Steal: An ST must be present for all uses of this power. The victim of Soul Steal may spend 1 permanent willpower to return to their body at the end of the round. Quell the Beast cannot prevent this expenditure.
- The victim of a Soul Seal does not become a true wraith, they cannot be affected by further necromancy, but they can be affected by wraiths per ST discretion. You may not use Haunting to bind a kindred soul to an object after the use of Soul Steal.
- If someone using any form of possession is affected by Soul Steal, the current, dominant soul of the possessor, not the possessed, is removed
- Ash Path; Ex Nihilo: The door must be drawn on a wall or other vertical surface.It cannot be drawn on clothing or life forms. The drawing of the door is a part of the activation of the power; this power cannot be activated without drawing it. The door cannot be drawn ahead of time. Only the user of the power may step through the door.
- Haunting: Kindred souls cannot be bound to locations or items. Only actual wraiths may be bound using this power.
- Note when using wraiths: a write up of any power used by the wraith must be provided to the STs at the time you wish to have the wraith use the ability. Only powers/abilities from approved source materials are allowed to be used in ACE.
- Potentially game breaking/altering powers are not usable by wraiths commanded by PCs.
- Inspire Greatness: You may only grant level 1 of either Potence or Fortitude to those players who are physically present (and in-character) during the speech if the chop is won by the speech giver. You may not grant this to more players than the speech giver’s mental traits.
- Greater Inspire Greatness: You may only grant level 2 of both Potence and Fortitude to those players who are physically present (and in-character) during the speech if the chop is won by the speech giver. You may not grant this to more players than the speech giver’s mental traits.
- Iron Heart: This power has no effect on the use of Majesty. It is unclear in this particular case who the challenger is vs who is defending. To avoid this question and multiple calls on it, it simply will not work against Majesty.
- Psychic Double: Per the rules of Auspex 5, your physical body must be in ACE chron sov while this power is in effect. You may not leave your body outside of the chron sov and sign into ACE only with your projection.
- Any content from the ST Vault is banned in Always Comes Evening. PCs based in ACE will not be permitted to purchase ST Vault content, and it will be redlined on visitor sheets when signing into ACE.
- STs will not be running any plots or scenes involving rape. It is not banned from PC background write ups. If players request to run any such plots/scenes, they will be given a verbal warning. Any STs/Narrators who run these types of scenes or plots will face Disciplinary Action. Any player who engages with another player in this type of scene will face Disciplinary Action.
- STs/Narrators and PCs may allude to situations involving sexual assault, for clarification:
- STs/Narrators may suggest a situation where a NPC may have been sexually assaulted or plans to engage in sexual violence. STs/Narrators may not run a scene involving the acts or describe any explicit acts of sexual assault done by NPCs in any way.
- PCs may not actively attempt to sexually assault any PC or NPC in ACE at any time.
- PCs can discuss situations of sexual assault with PCs or NPCs ICly, unless a player or ST has asked for them to stop Out of Character. Please see our CoC/DA policy.
The following disciplines are not usable in Always Comes Evening:
- Dur An Ki: Ex Infernis
- Thaumaturgy: Binding the Abyss
- Custom powers that prevent other powers from being used
- Custom powers that mimic elder powers
Always Comes Evening characters may have these powers on their sheets to use in other games. They may not use them in the Always Comes Evening game.
Out of genre:
Merits, abilities, flaws or powers associated with creature types that are NOT kindred will not be allowed for Kindred. If it’s not from a Kindred book, you can’t have it on a Kindred sheet. In particular that means no merits from non-Kindred books. If you are a Kindred, you are Kindred, not Kuei-Jin, Fae, Demon, or Garou. If you are a Kuei-jin, you are a Kuei-jin, not a Kindred, Fae, Demon, or Garou. You are a banality engine to the Fae and a wyrm fountain to Garou. Even if you have humanity 5, they still dislike you, but they might do the courtesy of just avoiding you instead of killing you. You cannot activate any item or power that requires Quiescence, Rage, Pathos, Glamour, etc.
All custom content must have the description of the power in the notes section on the ST approved character sheet to be used in ACE. Any custom content without a description will be redlined in ACE.
The staff reserves the right to restrict or disallow any player created stuff/any custom content. That includes player created combo powers, fetishes, thaumaturgical paths, or anything else not directly in a Mind’s Eye Theater book or OWbN packet. With regards to what the staff will or will not allow, custom content that gives bonus traits, retests, increases damage, mimics something that already exists somewhere else, or gives increased offensive capability to a PC, it is not likely to be approved.
To learn custom content, your PC must have an IC connection to the creator of the custom power as per the OWBN bylaws. Learning custom powers is at the discretion of the ST staff.
- The damage cap in one round from PC to PC is 6. PC vs NPCs it is 7. NPC vs PC is 6.
- For touch powers, a physical challenge is needed for most things beyond a willing handshake.
- Powers cannot cross “Levels of Reality” unless they specifically say they can. Meaning that if you are in the ‘physical world’ you cannot entrance someone in the Umbra, even if you can somehow see them. If you are in the Shadowlands you cannot use telepathy to read the mind of someone in the Skinlands even if you can see them. You can use torment (for example) to initiate physical challenges into the Shadowlands, since the power specifically says it can do this.
- Sympathetic Links: A sympathetic link is any item belonging to a person (a physical object like a precious religious talisman from your Sire, or a body part like hair, blood, skin, etc.) that can be used to empower a supernatural ability like Scry or Path of Curses. All sympathetic links are good for 1 use only, after which they lose their ‘metaphysical significance.’ Body parts from a kindred are subject to a rate of decay determined by the ST staff unless you are using some form of means to contain them.
- Form powers cannot stack
- 2-gun Mojo: A combination of the Ambidextrous Merit and the ability specialty to wield two weapons grants the user an extra trait when fighting with 2 guns rather than granting an extra action per turn.
- Mass trauma when stacked with other damage benefits on weapons requires an additional chop for the added point of damage. Must win the chop in order to deal the additional damage.