Sherwood Collins Playwriting Contest
JAC Publications and Promotions
Attention, aspiring playwrights! If you have a story to tell, the METG invites you to submit a one-act play to the Sherwood Collins Playwriting Contest.
Any Massachusetts secondary school student in grades 9–12 is eligible to enter the contest. The rules are simple.
- The script must be original, typed in 12-point Courier font with pages numbered, and double spaced between characters’ dialogues. Each playwright must EMAIL ONE COPY to email@example.com.
- A script may not exceed forty minutes (approximately one minute per page, or forty pages).
- The script must be written for stage presentation. Musicals, screen plays, teleplays, or adaptations of another author’s work will not be accepted.
- A student may not submit more than one entry.
- Students may collaborate on a script together.
- The following information must appear on the first page (cover page): title of play, student’s name, school, year of graduation, email address, home address, city, state, zip code, home phone number, name of teacher, and signed statement certifying the originality of the submitted work.
- The following information must appear on the second page (title page): title of play. No other information may appear on this page.
- The Guild will appoint a panel of readers to select the finalist(s), and two final judges will determine the winner(s).
- Winning playwright(s) will receive a cash prize and an offer of publication by JAC Publishing & Promotions. The first-place winning play will also receive a 10-minute staged reading at an awards ceremony in the Spring.
There is a $15.00 entry fee per script for member schools. Non-member schools may submit scripts with payment of a $20.00 entry fee per script.
Deadline and Method of Payment:
Scripts must be EMAILED by Thursday, January 3, 2019 to METG@METG.ORG
ALSO, please complete the “Playwriting Contest Entry Form” online and mail with check or purchase order to the address listed below.
P.O. Box 2538
Mashpee, MA 02649