General Body Meeting

11/04/18

9:00 PM | 6th Floor of Van Pelt

  1. Roll Call
  2. Open Forum
  3. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Past Administrator and External Meetings
  1. Faculty Senate
  2. GAPSA Executive Board
  3. President Gutmann
  4. Division of Public Safety
  5. Penn Recreation
  1. Upcoming Meetings
  1. Facilities and Real Estate Services
  2. UC Steering
  3. Council of Undergraduate Deans
  4. Trustee Meetings
  1. Upcoming Events
  1. Campus Conversation: Hate and its Aftermath
  2. Election Day
  1. Vice President’s Report
  1. Upcoming UA Steering
  1. UA Report
  1. UA on Locust
  2. Annual Reports on Trello
  3. Member of the Week
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  1. SAC Super Executive Board Elections
  1. Secretary’s Report
  1. Airport Shuttles Logistics
  1. Discussion Papers
  1. Sustainability and Community Impact
  1. How to Use SSAP to Bring Institutional Environmental Change
  1. Project Highlights
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. All-School-Access Printers in JMHH
  1. Student and Campus Life
  1. Skill Building Project
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Sustainability and Community Impact
  1. Promoting a Sustainability Community at Drexel
  1. External Seats
  1. University Council Committee on Honorary Degrees
  2. Student Health Advisory Board
  1. Communications

Reports


President’s Report

  1. Past Administrator and External Meetings
  1. Faculty Senate
  1. On Wednesday, October 31, UA Cabinet met with the Tri-Chairs of the Faculty Senate, Jennifer Pinto-Martin (Chair), Santosh Venkatesh (Past-Chair), and Steven Kimbrough (Chair-Elect). We discussed issues largely pertaining to academics, including syllabi on Penn InTouch, how to promote learning for the sake of learning, and how to establish policies regarding a maximum number of midterms/exams in one day.
  1. GAPSA Executive Board
  1. On Wednesday, October 31, members of UA Cabinet met with the GAPSA Executive Board. We discussed many opportunities for the UA and GAPSA to collaborate. These include a mentorship program that we have funding provided for in our allocation, civic engagement, advocacy for spaces for cultural groups and a Centralized Diversity Office, and transparency in funding. We are thankful for a strong partnership with GAPSA, and look to have a regular cadence of meetings throughout the rest of the year to think about how to solve problems that our constituencies face.
  1. President Gutmann
  1. On Thursday, November 1, UA Cabinet met with President Gutmann and Deputy Chief of Staff Leah Popowich to discuss progress that the UA has made. Projects that we highlighted included syllabi on Penn InTouch, CAPS visits to writing seminars, electric scooters on campus, increasing mindfulness spaces, leave of absence reintegration, club recruitment reform, prison education, and reducing one-use plastic. President Gutmann commended the UA’s work and encouraged us to keep it up.
  1. Division of Public Safety
  1. On Thursday, November 1, Jordan Andrews, Mercedes Owens, and I met with Maureen Rush (VP for Public Safety), Stacy Ritchey (Associate Director for Operations and Ext. Affairs, DPS), and Kathleen Shields-Anderson (Director of Operations and Ext. Affairs, DPS). We discussed electric scooter feasibility on campus, the new alternative response unit for emergency transportation, and how to publicize DPS initiatives.
  1. Penn Recreation
  1. On Tuesday, October 30, I met with Haley Pilgrim (GAPSA President), Dave Leach and Janna Rothschild (Penn Recreation) to discuss the possibility of reducing prices for Pottruck classes. Penn Recreation is looking to increase the amount of students that are taking advantage of classes, and is seeking to pilot programming to gauge whether students would use classes more if they were free. On a side note, if you are interested, a semester pass for unlimited classes is $75, and is prorated as the semester progresses.
  1. Upcoming Meetings
  1. Facilities and Real Estate Services
  1. On Monday, November 5, Cabinet will be meeting with Facilities and Real Estate Services (FRES). On the agenda is consideration of student needs in design of new spaces, how to incorporate student input in how space is designed and allocated, outdoor lighting and outlets, uniform quality of College Houses, and motion-sensor lighting in College Houses.
  1. UC Steering
  1. On Tuesday, November 6, Jordan Andrews and I will be meeting with UC Steering. On the agenda is the approval of minutes from the previous University Council Meeting and the approval of the agenda for the December 5 open forum meeting. If you would like to submit a topic for University Council open forum, the deadline to do so is 5pm on Monday, November 26. You can submit topics here.
  1. Council of Undergraduate Deans
  1. On Wednesday, November 7, I will be meeting with the Council of Undergraduate Deans (CUD). On the agenda for this week is the creation of an Athletics Advisory Committee, which would have representations from student groups like the UA and the Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC). Also on the agenda is the potential addition of a policy concerning the revocation of a student’s degree following severe disciplinary infractions or academic misconduct after graduation. If you have any questions, please let me know.
  1. Trustee Meetings
  1. The Board of Trustees will be convening on Thursday, November 8 and Friday, November 9 at the Inn at Penn. There will be several committee meetings as well as the Stated Meeting of the Trustees and following luncheon on Friday. On Thursday, I will be presenting before the Trustee Committee on Student Life on the status of student group involvement at Penn, focusing specifically on the work the UA and the Student Activities Council (SAC) have done to address club recruitment reform. In addition, representatives from several of Penn’s open membership groups will be presenting on how they create a positive community without rejecting anyone.
  1. Upcoming Events
  1. Campus Conversation: Hate and Its Aftermath - How to Preserve One’s Wellness in Challenging Times
  1. On Monday, November 5th from 6:30-8pm in the Class of 1949 Auditorium in Houston Hall, there will be a Campus Conversation addressing the traumatic events of the past several weeks, including, but not limited to, the massacre of 11 Jewish people in Pittsburgh, PA on October 27. From 6:30-7pm there willl be refreshments, followed by a roughly 20-minute panel featuring Reverend Chaz Howard (University Chaplain), Rabbi Mike Uram (Executive Director of Penn Hillel), Dr. Erin Cross (Executive Director of the LGBT Center), me, Haley Pilgrim (GAPSA President), and Yasmina Al Ghadban (Penn Wellness Co-Chair). Following this, there will be a 40-minute roundtable discussion session led by Penn Benjamins and Penn Franklins. Please tell your friends to come by, especially if they have thoughts on how the University can improve wellness.
  1. Election Day
  1. Tuesday, November 6th is Election Day. The UA has been working with Penn Leads the Vote, GAPSA, Penn Democrats, College Republicans, the American Constitution Society at Penn Law, and the Government and Politics Association to get out the vote in advance of Tuesday’s election. I have sent an email to the body with a sign-up to table on Locust Walk in various locations to pass out hot chocolate. Please contact me if you would like to help out with get out the vote (GOTV) initiatives.

Vice-President’s Report

  1. Upcoming UA Steering
  1. This upcoming Tuesday, November 6, will be the next UA Steering meeting of the semester. We will be joined by the Executive Vice President Craig Carnaroli and the Associate Vice President Tony Sorrentino.

UA Report

  1. UA on Locust
  1. The Communications Team has organized UA on locust for the coming weeks. We will be learning about what issues students face on campus as well as advertising what the UA can do for students.
  1. Annual Reports on Trello
  1. This Thursday at 6 PM, we will be adding all the past Annual Reports to a Trello Archive Board. This is an amazing opportunity to learn about the past work the UA has done and adapt some past ideas for the present. This will require a lot of assistance, so if you are available please come help us. Pizza will be served!
  1. This week’s member of the week is...

Treasurer’s Report

  1. SAC Super Executive Board Elections
  1. This past Thursday, Nov 1st, the SAC Super Executive Board was elected. Emily Su was elected Chair, Elena Hoffman was elected Vice Chair, Jacob Julian-Kwong was elected Communications Director, and Louis Lin will continue as Technology Director.

Secretary’s Report

  1. Airport Shuttle Logistics
  1. The dates and times for the shuttles this year are:
  1. Tuesday November 20 from 10am-7pm
  2. Wednesday November 21 from 7am-7pm
  1. The link to the event is shuttles.pennua.org
  2. UA Members will be responsible for working one hour-long shuttle shift as well as advertising in two listservs (GroupMe, College House listserv, other group messaging platforms, etc.) in exchange for one attendance point. The sheet for shift sign ups and advertising will be sent out next week. 
  3. There will be an ad in the DP beginning on November 15th, and Airport Shuttles Committee will begin flyering on Locust the day after the ad in the DP is circulated.
  4. We will be reaching out to comm team to help us by creating a graphic for the cover photo as well as a potential profile photo frame! Details about when to change those will be sent out when they are ready.  


Discussion Papers


Sustainability and Community Impact

How to Use SSAP to Bring Institutional Environmental Change

Authored by: Vyshnavi Kosigishroff, Ben May

 

Background:

Although the sizeable environmental community on campus advocates for institutional change to protect the environment, there has yet to be major progress. This can be attributed in part to the many layers of administrative bureaucracy each group has to maneuver individually. To help make the most of limited funding, expertise, and engaged university students, we have been exploring the option of creating a Student Sustainability Association at Penn (SSAP) subcommittee to administrate collaboration between campus environmental groups specifically aiming to bring systemic environmental change.

 

Recognizing SSAP’s historical role in unifying and supporting the Penn environmental community, this would require a minimal increase in bureaucracy. This subcommittee would serve as a medium to brainstorm collaboration on events and initiatives focused on civic action and systematic change at Penn.

 

Discussion questions:

  1. What are the tangible benefits for constituent groups to join this SSAP committee?
  1. How can these groups help each other?
  1. How do we spread a strong message about the UA and other campus groups’ commitment to change?
  2. How can we make sure all groups feel involved?


Project Highlights


Academic Initiatives

All-School-Access Printers in JMHH

Authored by: Elena Hoffman

 On Tuesday afternoon, I met with Alex Milne (Technical Director of Strategic Partnerships), Mikki Miller (Sr. IT Project Lead), and Wallace Haviland (Sr. IT Project Lead). We discussed Huntsman printing for non-Wharton students enrolled in Wharton classes. Any student enrolled in a Wharton class can register here to access Huntsman printing and Huntsman desktops for the semester they are enrolled in the class. Once these accounts are created, students have access to Huntsman email printing throughout their time at Penn. All students need to do is email the documents and/or attachments they wish to print to printing@wharton.upenn.edu.

After discussing the current policy, we turned to discussions on the all-school-access printing policy. The long term goals for Wharton Computing are to make printing accessible to all Penn students, but they are running into technical problems on the privacy end. They do not want the printing system queue to list every individual who has printed something. Wharton Computing is hoping to roll out an upgraded printing experience over summer 2019. What are some printing features you’ve seen while at Penn that you either like/dislike?

Student and Campus  Life

Skill Building Project

Authored by: Charles Curtis-Thomas

 I have been working on a project that would allow students to have a platform for learning life skills that are not always traditionally taught at Penn or in high school. (How to balance a checkbook, how to file taxes, general personal finance, how to buy a house, etc.) After discussions with Troy Majnerick and Steve Delcarson, I discovered that a course is currently being introduced for the first-time next semester that deals with many of these topics. I am currently discussing with the professor of the class, Brian Peterson, about additional skills and topics that can be implemented, and thinking of new implementations.


Completion Reports


Sustainability and Community Impact

Promoting a Sustainability Community at Drexel

Authored by: Ben May

Last year, I met with Tim Hanlon, a student from Drexel who wanted to create a Drexel Sustainability office mirrored from Penn’s. Likewise, we discussed future sustainability competitions between Philadelphia universities and cooperation between various student environmental groups. Last week, I submitted a letter of recommendation to Tim to support a proposal he submitted to Drexel’s university administration requesting for the establishment of a Drexel Sustainability Office. Since then, we have heard back that there will be an appointed Assistant Director of Sustainability and an office will be created in the future.


External Seats


University Council Committee on Honorary Degrees

Authored by: Michael Krone

On Friday, November 2, the University Council Committee on Honorary Degrees convened for the first time this year. We discussed the role of the committee and how it fits into the administrative bureaucracy alongside the Trustee committee of a similar charge. I reported on the Commencement Speaker survey that I distributed to Class of 2019 in August, which I will email out to the UA body after this meeting. If you have any names that you would like to suggest for individuals that ought to receive an honorary degree, please let me know.

Student Health Advisory Board (SHAB)

Authored by Jess Andrews

 Last friday (10/26/18), SHAB met to discuss the participation data from the SHS Flu Clinics, as well as issues with scheduling and appointment availability at SHS. Over 7,000 students attended the flu clinics, which was an overwhelming increase compared to previous years. Additionally, SHS has hired 2 new full time providers and opened up same day appointment availability through the online booking system. In the future, SHS will continue to reform their triaging and scheduling system in order to better accommodate students - if you have any feedback, please feel free to reach out to me offline.

 


Minutes


  1. Roll Call
  1. Anthony SL- EI
  2. Mikayla- SCI
  3. Jen A- AI
  4. Ryan- EI
  5. Kevin M- AI
  6. Sam- SCL
  7. Vyshnavi- SCI
  8. Charles- SCL  
  9. Stephen- NEC
  1. Open Forum
  1. Kevin: The Honor Council will be releasing an anonymous reporting tool where students can report incidents within their organizations. Some reports will be sent to OSA depending on the severity of the information. We will also be meeting with various organizations about alternative ideas for bonding and building a strong community that do not involve hazing. We want to establish the reputation that the Honor Council is a nice off the record forum for students to feel comfortable reporting issues.
  2. Max: Jen R. noticed that Dartmouth has an extensive active shooter guide, and while Penn also has a guide, it is not as extensive. She would like to work on adding to the existing guide and wanted me to tell you all to reach out to her if you would like to collaborate.
  1. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Past Administrator and External Meetings
  1. Faculty Senate
  1. We discussed Jen’s project on syllabi and the revision of exam policies among other things.
  2. Maria: What is the Faculty Senate?
  3. Michael: Much like we are the body that represents the undergraduate student body, they are the body that represents the faculty. We met with the Tri-Chairs at this meeting.
  1. GAPSA Executive Board
  1. Michael: GAPSA is our counterpart for graduate students. We have been partnering with them a lot this year! We are advocating with them for bigger and better cultural spaces and understanding how funding is currently allocated to the existing spaces. We are also working on voter registration initiatives as well.
  1. President Gutmann
  1. Michael: Thursday morning, we met with President Gutmann and discussed highlighted projects in each of the committees. She shared words of commendation and encouraged us to continue with our great work.
  1. Division of Public Safety
  1. Thursday evening, Jordan, Mercedes, and I met with DPS and discussed campus safety, the success of the alternative response unit, and electric scooter feasibility.
  1. Penn Recreation
  1. Michael: Tuesday, I met with representatives from Penn Rec and GAPSA to think of ways to encourage students to use the classes at Pottruck. We are thinking of having a pilot program that would test the theory of finances being a determining factor in enrollment into these classes.
  2. Priya: PennShape could be a good resource
  3. Kayla: One of the professors of Bioengineering recently became a spin instructor and has been holding free classes. All of them have been full to the point of having to turn students away, so cost is a huge determinant.
  4. Ammar: Some free classes exist, so advertising these resources could be another potential solution.
  5. Simon: I go to pottruck a lot. I've never heard of these classes, so I agree with Ammar’s point on advertising the options more.
  1. Upcoming Meetings
  1. Facilities and Real Estate Services
  1. Michael: Tomorrow at 8:30am we are meeting with FRES. We will be discussing how to incorporate student input into both interior design and space allocation, outdoor lighting and outlets, and motion-sensor lighting among other things. The last is a project that Ryan is working on.
  2. Ryan: After talking to Maria, we talked about pursuing the project of having motion sensor lighting in college houses.
  1. UC Steering
  1. Michael: UC Steering is taking place this week. Jordan and I will be meeting with the heads of UC. We will be approving the agenda for the December meeting. Most of this meeting will be open forum, so this is a great time to bring up any issues concerning your constituency group or you as an individual. These can be submitted through the Secretary’s office.
  1. Council of Undergraduate Deans
  1. Michael: At this meeting, we will discuss potential solutions  to bridging the gap between the university and athletes. We will also be discussing the revocation of degrees for students who are found to have violated the code of academic integrity post-graduation. Kevin, reach out to me about that.
  1. Trustee Meetings
  1. Michael: Thursday, I will be presenting the work the UA and SAC have done to address club recruitment reform to the Trustee Committee on Student Life.
  1. Upcoming Events
  1. Campus Conversation: Hate and its Aftermath
  1. Michael: Campus Conversation will be on tomorrow, November 5th, from 6:30-8pm in Class of ‘49 Auditorium. Discussions will center around overcoming difficult times as a community, and it is a great opportunity to speak to faculty and staff. Please attend if you can, and let me know if you have any questions. It is up to us as the UA to promote this on social media!
  1. Election Day
  1. Michael: Election Day is November 6th. Please make a plan to vote if you are able to. It is important. Information about UA tabling has been sent out.  
  1. Vice President’s Report
  1. Upcoming UA Steering
  1. Jordan: On Tuesday, we will have a Steering meeting in JMHH 270 from 7:30-8:30pm. We will be joined by the EVP and AVP. They will be covering a variety of things. We will also be having small groups following. Please attend if you would like to be a part of the discussion.  
  1. UA Report
  1. UA on Locust
  1. Sravya: In the slack, I sent a spreadsheet that comm team made. We chose Tuesdays as the day committees will work the table on Locust. Please sign up for these time slots even though it may be kind of far in advance. I will be changing AI to Wednesday this coming week because no one was available on Tuesday. Another new addition is the switch from FB Live to Youtube Live. All of our live streams will now be available on our Youtube Channel after the meetings.
  2. Brian: Where is the link to sign up to tabling?
  3. Sravya: In the UA Official Slack. I will pin it.
  4. Brian: This is a great way to learn about issues on campus directly from students. The best committee will obviously do the greatest job.
  5. Anthony: Is there any incentive aside from our beautiful faces for people to stop by?
  6. Brian: We have wellness guides and copies of out annual report, but it is ultimately up to the discretion of the Committee Director to get candy and snacks.
  1. Annual Reports on Trello
  1. Brian: This is awesome. This coming Thursday, Michael, myself and hopefully a couple of you will be adding all of the past annual reports to Trello. It’s a great way to become an institutional genius on all things UA related.
  1. Member of the Week
  1. MOTW is Jen A. <3
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  1. SAC Super Executive Board Elections
  1. Natasha: This past Thursday, Nov 1st, the SAC Super Executive Board, comprised of 4 positions, was elected. Shout out to Elena!  If you have any questions, let me know!
  1. Secretary’s Report
  1. Airport Shuttles Logistics
  1. This past Tuesday, I went to the Pennovation Complex and met with Michael and John from Penn transit to discuss the logistics of the Thanksgiving Airport Shuttles. We decided on dates and times, and I will be deferring to Airport Shuttles Committee to discuss the logistics in a bit more detail.
  2. Dante: I will be working on college and residential houses to make sure they are advertising to their residents.
  3. Danny: Later this week I will be sending out the shift sign ups. You will get one attendance point for working one hour-long shift and advertising on two listservs.
  4. Quinn: We also reached out to comm team earlier this week and we are waiting for a response.
  5. Simon: Why are the hours not 7am-7pm on both days?
  6. Mercedes: Because historically, there have been very few people sign up before 10am on the first day of shuttles.
  7. Natasha: Will we still have a sign?
  8. Mercedes: Yes!
  9. Brian: Sounds great, and we all get to work shifts which is awesome!
  1. Discussion Papers
  1. Sustainability and Community Impact
  1. How to Use SSAP to Bring Institutional Environmental Change
  1. Vyshnavi: Ben and I have been discussing how to expand SSAP’s ability to facilitate productive discussion, specifically focused on civic engagement, by creating a new subcommittee.
  2. Ben: We want to get feedback about how to facilitate civic action through SSAP.
  3. Dante: One major benefit to having this subcommittee is being a unified board. If two or more groups have the same project, they would be able to collaborate and present it together which is more efficient.
  4. Kev: Would this new committee need/receive additional funding?
  5. Ben: SSAP is funded through the sustainability office. They then are able to allocate these funds to other environmental groups on campus as they need it. Since this would be under SSAP, I don’t think so.
  6. Jess: For the subcommittee, are you envisioning having environmentally focused groups only?
  7. Ben: It would be a facilitation of current SSAP constituent groups, so yes.
  8. Mikayla: Would it be better to create a new separate group focused specifically on civic action instead of expanding the scope of SSAP?
  9. Vyshnavi: Since all of the groups are already together under SSAP, it would be more efficient to create a subcommittee.
  10. Jordan: What are SSAPs thoughts?
  11. Ben: I wanted to get the UAs opinions first, but I will be bringing this up Tuesday to the executive board.
  12. Vyshnavi: The few groups I have spoken to have been very receptive to the idea. These are the constituents of SSAP, so this is a good sign.
  13. Mikayla: If they all agree why doesn’t this subcommittee exist already?
  14. Ben: They wanted to remain completely  non-partisan, but civic engagement is a part of environmental change.
  15. Natasha: Does the office of sustainability have an advisory board?
  16. Vyshnavi: There is in organization called SAGE that administrators, undergraduates, and graduate students are a part of. We have been able to speak to administrators about these issues directly through this forum.
  17. Ben: There has been more direct outreach through SAGE, but we are hoping that this subcommittee will be able to bridge this gap.
  18. Jordan: If SSAP doesn't have the history or the skills to do civic engagement, this subcommittee could be ineffective Alternatively, there could be a unified project that all of the groups under SSAP work on together instead of creating an entire subcommittee.
  1. Project Highlights
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. All-School-Access Printers in JMHH *tabled*
  1. Student and Campus Life
  1. Skill Building Project
  1. Charles: I have been working on a resource that would help students further develop their life skills. If you have any suggestions to add on, I welcome any feedback.
  2. Priya: Will these be in the form of workshops? Workshops would be more useful for engaging more students.
  3. Charles: Brian Peterson is planning to have a class devoted to this. He is currently working on raising the maximum enrollment of the class, and is considering creating a preceptorial devoted to this topic.
  4. Ryan: There could be open days on the class for students who are not enrolled in the class to come in and learn important information.
  5. Natasha: The final project could be students presenting information they’ve learned to their peers.
  6. Kev: I think it would also be good to have a a guide for students who are unable to take this course.
  7. Jordan: I agree with Natasha’s point, and I think that the last class could be in the Hall of Flags with students presenting posters and teaching their peers what they have learned.
  8. Ammar: I would push for having workshops instead of preceptorials because these skills are needed throughout the year and should be available at more convenient times.
  9. Sravya: This could be potentially a student led seminar modeled after the ideas of  WAB.
  10. Nick: What requirement would this fulfill?
  11. Charles: It may count for urban studies majors, but it would not most likely fulfill a foundational or sector requirement.
  12. Priya: I would recommend turning the lectures into videos so that the information is more accessible to the most students.
  13. Anthony SL: Something that I think is important and should be included is CPR certification in one class.
  14. Ben: Cornell and Yale have smaller half credit classes that focus on odd, targeted life skills. This could be a similar model.
  15. Thomas: I would advertise whatever this becomes through career services.
  16. Janice: This could be a pass/fail half credit course that could count as an elective. One of the classes should focus on educating students on how to read and understand a leasing agreement as a lot of us move off campus.
  17. Vyshnavi: Self defense could also be added.
  18. Charles: Thanks guys! Trello or slack me for more details!
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Sustainability and Community Impact
  1. Promoting a Sustainability Community at Drexel
  1. Ben: Last spring I met with Tim Hanlon, a student from Drexel and discussed the potential of both a sustainability and sustainability competitions in Philadelphia. We wanted to create a Drexel sustainability office that was similar to Penn’s  and since then, we have heard back that there will be an appointed Assistant Director of Sustainability and an office will be created in the future.
  1. External Seats
  1. University Council Committee on Honorary Degrees
  1. Michael: Super quick. The UC Committee on Honorary Degrees discusses giving honorary degrees to various people. f you guys have any cool people you think warrant an honorary degree, let me know. I will also send out the results of my survey regarding the commencement speaker. There were a lot of interesting results.
  1. Student Health Advisory Board
  1. Jess: Over 7,000 undergraduates attended flu clinic. They just hired two new full time staff and opened same day appointments so they are hoping to improve efficiency overall.
  2. Anthony SL: The flu clinic was super efficient!

  1. Communications