- Jesus, the historical Jesus, is a model for living more than an object of worship
Worship is important, but we worship the Risen Christ, the Second Person of the Holy Trinity, not an Alpha Male with superhuman powers
- Affirming people’s potential is more important than reminding them of their brokenness
People respond to approval better than to condemnation. The Emerging Church speaks of grace, not guilt
- The work of reconciliation should be valued over making judgment
We meet others as they are and accept them
- Gracious behaviour is more important than right belief
Winning arguments has no place in the Kingdom of God!
- Inviting questions is more valuable than supplying answers
This way we learn together
- Encouraging the personal search is more important than group uniformity
We can each travel only at our own speed
- Meeting actual needs is more important than maintaining institutions
Sometime institutions must die in order to be reborn to serve anew
- Peacemaking is more important than power
Power and control have no place in the lives of ‘Kingdom people’
- We should care more about love and less about sex
This should be self evident to Christians!
- Life in this world is more important than the afterlife (eternity is God’s work anyway)
Because the only good preparation for a good dying is this life well lived!
If this makes sense to you, you are already inside of Emerging Christianity
With thanks to Richard Rohr OFM November 29 2017
But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable,
gentle, willing to yield,
full of mercy and good fruits,
without variance or hypocrisy.
And a harvest of righteousness
is sown in peace by those who make peace.
All we have is THIS - HERE - NOW
Worship is not when God shows up. It is when we show up.
God simply asks us TO BE PRESENT… wherever we are
Jesus said, ‘Come to me all who labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me for I am gentle and lowly of heart and you shall find rest for your souls; for my yoke is easy and my burden is light.’