Football SFC

Bhulf Tón 0  10 Rathkenny 0  07

Castletown on 24th August 2018

Bhuaigh Bhulf Tón ar a gcomharsan cé go raibh orthu oibriú ar a ndícheall toisc sár iarracht O na for ó Rathcoinnigh.

This was a typical local derby and the exchanges were competitive throughout. Wolfe Tones were ahead throughout the game and although they threatened to open up the Rathkenny defence on a number of occasions, their near neighbours defended resolutely and but for the fact that they were unable to make inroads up front could have got something from this game. Remarkably the half time score was a lowly 0 03 to 0 02 (in favour of the Tones) as both sets of forwards misfired, although it was the men in purple and gold who had the best opportunities, notching 5 narrow wides. Sarán O Fionnagáin opened the scoring for the Tones in the 9th minute followed by an Alan O Callaghan point following a through ball gathered by O Fionnagáin who set up O'Callaghan for a well taken score. Tones’ other score of the half came from the excellent Éanna O Kelly Lynch who burst forward to register his first point of the evening in the 23rd minute.

Tones had a really good opening to the second half and within six minutes had doubled their tally. O Fionnagáin had a hand in all three scores. Almost from the throw in he beat his man to fire over. Two minutes later he set up Padraic Diamond for a close-range point and shortly afterwards his marker was penalised for holding off the ball. Cian Ward converted the free to give the Tones a four point lead in what was a very low scoring game. Jack Gore responded with a point almost immediately. Rathkenny would regret two wides from scorable positions in the following minutes. Alan Callaghan placed Fiachra Ward on the left wing and his point gave Tones a 0 07 to 0 03 lead at the end of the third quarter. However the Rathkenny men were not finished and now enjoyed their best period of the game to come roaring back into contention with three points in five minutes from Jack Gore to reduce the margin to the minimum with seven minutes of normal time left. Éanna O Kelly Lynch halted the Rathkenny comeback with his second point of the evening, a fine solo effort  following a blistering run from his own half. Stephen Sheppard broke forward to extend the lead before Fiachra ward converted a free following a foul on O Fionnagáin to see the Tones lead 0 10 to 0 06 at the end of normal time. Surprisingly five minutes of added time followed and it was all Rathkenny who did manage a point but Tones held out to progress to a preliminary quarter final with Gaeil Colmcille.

Bhulf Tón: David Nolan, Stephen Sheppard (0  01), Shane Glynn, Conor Sheppard, Éanna O Kelly Lynch (0  02), Eoghan Harrington, Éanna Harrington, Stephen Corrigan, Cian O Neill, Alan Callaghan (0  01), Padraic Diamond (0  01), Niall O Reilly, Sarán O Fionnagáin (0  02), Cian Ward (0  1, 1F), Fiachra Ward (0  02, 1F) Subs: Caolán Ward for Cian Ward, Gary Mc Fadden for Caolán Ward