Football SFC Second Round

Bhulf Tón 0  10 St Colmcilles 0  11

Páirc Tailteann

Sunday 22nd April 2018

Lá ghrianmhar gaofar a bhi ann I bPairc Tailteann. Ní raibh ach cuilín no dhó idir na foirne i rith an cluiche agus bhiodar ar comhscór tar éis seasca nóiméad. Bhuaigh Naomh Colmcille an cluiche le cic saor in am breise.

Playing against a strong breeze Bhulf Tón took an early lead thanks to a Niall O Reilly point in the 4th minute following good interplay from Thomas O Reilly and Pádraic Diamond. James Conlon replied for the seasiders in the 6th minute with a fisted point. Ben Brennan nudged Colmcilles in front with a point from a free in the tenth minute. Thereafter St Colmcilles held the lead until the three quarter mark although there was never more than two points in it at any stage. Bhulf Tón seemed to be in a strong position at half time when the scoreline stood at Bhulf Tón 0  05 St Colmcilles 0  06 and they would have the aid of a strong wind in the second half. James Conlon accounted for two Colmcille points while Ben Brennan accounted for 3 points all frees. For Bhulf Tón Niall O Reilly accounted for two points, Cian Ward added two frees while Eanna Harrington drove forward to score a fine point.

Brughach O Fionnagáin departed early in the second on a black card following a puzzling decision by the referee when awarding a free against him when he appeared to have been fouled. Colmcilles nudges ahead only to be reeled in thanks to a brace of points from the in-form Niall O Reilly. The teams were now level on 7 points each. Conlon nudged the ‘Cilles ahead again, Cian Ward added a free to draw the teams level. Tones would hit 4 wides in four minutes before taking the lead after 50 minutes courtesy of a long range effort from Dan O Neill. Conlon a thorn in the Tones defence levelled the match a minute later and the game was set up for a tense finish. The sides traded points again as the game drew to a close, Sarán O Fionnagáin with a fine solo effort from play equalising for the ‘Tones. The teams were now tied on ten points each as the game entered injury time. Ben Brennan scored the winner converting a free awarded to Graham Reilly. Bhulf Tón refused to yield and pushed hard for an equaliser but shot two wides in this period and just came up short.

Both teams struggled to make the strong wind count and Bhulf Tón will rue eleven second half wides. Although they lost narrowly they will look forward with some optimism to July when the Championship resumes and they can welcome Shane Glynn, Niall Mc Loughlin and Cian O Neill back from injury.

Bhulf Tón: David Nolan, Conor Sheppard, Dan O Neill (0  01), Eoghan Harrington, Éanna Harrington (0  01), Stephen Sheppard, Brughach O Fionnagáin, Stephen Corrigan, Padraic Diamond, Niall O Reilly(0  04), Thomas O Reilly, Éanna O Kelly Lynch, Sarán Ó Fionnagáin (0  01), Fiachra Ward, Cian Ward (0  03,3F)

Subs: Caolán Ward for Brughach O Fionnagáin (32), Niall Mc Loughlin for Éanna O Kelly Lynch (62)