dreamBronx Summer Internship Job Description
Position: dreamBronx Summer Youth Program Intern
Supervisor: Katie Williams, Summer Program Director
Location: South Bronx, NY
Work Schedule: TBD
Requirements: See below
A House on Beekman (AHOB) was born six years ago when four pregnant women from the South Bronx and a recent NYU graduate sat together in an abandoned church on Beekman Avenue. That day, we dreamed about the potential in the lives these women were about to bring into the world. We longed for their children to have access to high-quality education, a community of people that encouraged them, and opportunities they’d only dreamed about. Our mission at A House on Beekman is to equip the next generation of the South Bronx to break cycles of poverty and reach their full potential in careers that are meaningful to them. We want to invest now in the future leaders of this neighborhood, those who will one day have the power to transform every industry and system that contributes to the root causes of poverty: the local police officer who recognizes each human being, the chief of surgery at our local hospital who understands the challenges of low income medicine, the principal who came from a failing public school, the politician who knows the constituents, and the landlords who see the neighborhood itself as a long-term investment. We do that by following kids from birth to career, with holistic support for the child and their family. In six years, we have built a continuous pipeline of programs from birth to middle school with 200 annual participants. Our programs include a Babies to Three program, a preschool in partnership with the New York City Department of Education (DOE), an afterschool program, a middle school program, and summer camp for elementary and middle school students.
A House on Beekman strives to create a seamless series of programs from birth to career that empowers the next generation of the South Bronx to reach their full potential. This mission is realized at the middle school level by the following: dreamBronx is dedicated to the renewal of the South Bronx through education, altruism, and mentorship.
Reporting to the dreamBronx Program Director, Derek J. Smith, the Summer Intern will work directly with middle school students, supporting on all service learning projects, enrichment/academic classes and development of youth leadership skills. Summer staff is also expected to support with the Inaugural Summer Camping Trip July TBD and other areas as needed.
- A minimum of two years experience working with youth ages 11-14
- Minimum of one year of college (preferred)
- Ability to effectively manage student behavior
- Skills in leadership development and experience in leading sports, games, and team building activities.
We are currently looking for a dynamic individual who is…
- Experienced working with middle school youth
- Passionate about youth development
- Dedicated to the mission of A House on Beekman and the dreamBronx Program
- Able to build rapport with youth, staff and volunteers
- Willing to wear many hats and have many responsibilities
- Detail oriented and able to multi-task
- Positive attitude and team player.
- Professional and punctual
- Enjoys working on a diverse team
- Committed to doing what it takes to get the job done
Major job duties include:
- Support with the planning and execution of middle school summer program
- Leading or supporting academic classes
- Support city exploration outings as needed
- Lead service learning projects with the support of other staff/volunteers
- Participating and and possibly leading debriefs before and after each project or activity as needed
- Preparation of snack for each group going on service projects or day trips
- Maintain and enter data onto Google Drive
- Maintaining a safe and supportive environment for all youth
- Ensure program rules are being followed
- Participate in weekly staff meetings
- Supporting on all major service learning projects, leading youth by example
- Documenting projects through pictures and video
- Actively participate in all projects and games
- Help with the overall maintenance of the the summer camp space.
- Support the volunteer staff
- Help promote events and program through flyers, phone calls or other mediums.
- Help support with planning and attend Inaugural Summer Camping Trip, July TBD
- Have a fun and positive attitude.
Standards for Professional Performance:
- Maintain professional standards of performance, punctuality, demeanor and appearance at all times.
- Adhere to AHOB’s respectful style of modeling, coaching, and intervention with youth to promote high standards of youth behavior.
- Perform tasks and responsibilities in a complete and timely manner, complying with the AHOB’s policies and standards and conforming to the scheduling requirements of the job. Keep record of all receipts, logs, and contact information.
- Maintain a creative, team-building, cooperative approach to job performance and seek to bring a positive, constructive problem-solving orientation to all tasks.
- Maintain an awareness of the AHOB’s mission and work to promote the positive individual and social change goals it embodies.
- Exercise discretion and professional judgment at all times keeping with the responsibilities carried personally and by the AHOB for the care and welfare of the youth and their families.
- Actively strive to upgrade professional skills through engaging in appropriate professional training and experience if made available.