THE CHIMES // Business Manager
Basic function and responsibility:
The main responsibility of the Business Manager is to oversee the Chimes’
finances. This includes managing the accounts, budgets, and staff payroll, as well as
communicating the Chimes’ financial state with the Editor-in-Chief. The Business Manager is
also responsible for working with the Business Staff to ensure a steady stream
of revenue to help fund operations. The Business Manager also acts as a financial liaison
between the Chimes, its Advisor and the Student Media Board.
1. Create and present the Chimes’ annual budget.
2. Keep track of all income and expenses.
3. Communicate with advertisers to bring in revenue for the Chimes.
4. Help other staff members file financial forms and answer questions about paychecks.
5. Ensure the staff is compensated with biweekly paychecks and/or scholarships.
6. Coordinate necessary payments with the Editor-in-Chief and the Purchasing Department.
7. Coordinate with the Business Staff and Distributor, as well as with the Chimes’ printer.
Supervision received: Chimes Editor-in-Chief
Supervision of others: Business Staff
General: Good interpersonal and marketing skills. Proficient with spreadsheet programs and general accounting. Must have knowledge, or willing to learn about, Biola-related forms and business processes. Previous classes, internships or jobs in business are a plus.
Education and experiences: At the time of election or appointment, have completed at least one semester at Biola University with a full-time student status and currently be enrolled as a full-time student. Prior work or class experience in business is preferable.