Published using Google Docs
ADC-IARPC Semantics WG 2021-05-18

ADC-IARPC Vocabularies and Semantics Working Group


Meeting Agenda & Minutes


2021-05-18 20:00 UTC (01:00 PM MST and 21:00 CET)


Join Zoom Meeting 

Meeting ID: 651 6405 6393

Find your local number: 


  1. Participants
  1. Mark (regrets), Rebekah, Shannon, Allison, Chantelle, Pier Luigi, Bill, Øystein
  1. Adoption of the agenda
  1. Adopted
  1. Review of the minutes of the previous meeting
  1. 2021-03-16
  1. Approved
  1. The meeting 2021-04-20 was cancelled.
  1.  Review of open action items
  1. Action: Øystein to send email checking whether we should move the meeting time as daylight savings start.
  1. Done, the feedback received, indicated continue as now.
  1. Action: Rebekah to rephrase the third last paragraph.
  1. Done.
  1. Action: Pier Luigi will put the open letter on Zenodo once signed.
  1. New action in this meeting
  1. Action: Øystein to create a spreadsheet to track submissions of the open letter in.
  1. New action in this meeting
  1. Final review and approval of the draft of an open letter to various large scale frameworks or organisations on how to use semantics and address user needs.
  1. Following some discussion the letter is now adopted. Some minor adjustments were made during the meeting.
  2. The letter is now open for signing. Deadline for signing is the next meeting.
  3. Following this a generic version of the letter will be published on Zenodo.
  4. The letter will have DOI and will also be published in the website of the group.
  1. Action: Pier Luigi will put the open letter on Zenodo once signed.
  1. Dedicated letters to specific communities will have to be set up and sent. In order to keep track of letters sent a spreadsheet will be created.
  1. Action: Øystein to create a spreadsheet to track submissions of the open letter in.
  1. Rebekah will present the letter during the Polar to Global Online Interoperability and data sharing Hackathons now that it is approved by the group.
  1. Following the discussion on AI during the last meeting, Pier Luigi suggested that this group should engage in
  1. See e.g. for ethics aspects.
  2. AI is questioned in some contexts but is also something we need to relate to.  Pier Luigi mentioned that the ethical perspectives have to be strengthened and representativeness sought. This group is open to participation. Pier Luigi mentioned that the Arctic community could give valuable input to this activity as most communities are concerned with machine learning and not knowledge representation. This group could bring the indigenous perspective into the discussion. SiriJodha indicated some interest in the previous meeting.
  3. It was agreed to revisit this in the next meeting to see if we could get someone from the group to engage.
  1. Discussion on variableMeasured and what to use instead in the ESIP Science on Schema Guidelines - Rebekah
  2. This discussion was postponed to the next meeting as some members of the group were missing.
  1. Awareness updates (roundtable)
  1. Øystein: New data policy on WMO; replacing with one data policy, going through policy implementation. MET has set up a service for terminology used and not handled elsewhere - This is being integrated with ENVRI-FAIR. ENVRI-FAIR is doing a cross walk on CF standard names and GCMD Science Keywords.
  2. Pier Luigi: Most updates are connected to UN Ocean Decade, UNESCO IOC  infohub on federated metadata profiles in and ontologies. The plan for member states was presented in IODE26, next year the first UN Ocean Data Conference will be held. This will also include indigenous perspectives and could be interesting for this group. September 20-24 Ocean Best practises yearly workshop. Pier Luigi will chair together with Kelsey Leonard and would welcome contributions from this group. A group of ESIP has finished the GCW glossary check and is now cross linked with Sweet.
  3. Shannon/Rebekah: Updates from CCADI. CCADI has worked on and mostly completed the work on semantics. They have a SPARQL end point for this and are testing on a specific use case. They are moving into different domains now. Focus is on integration of and ontologies with partners now. They are relying on CF standard names from BODC and the NERC vocabulary server.
  4. Allison: AOV revamping the logistics database improving interoperability through addition of new fields, looking into requirements to further improve discoverability.
  5. Chantelle: Now working for both Polar Data Catalogue and continuing with CCADI. Focusing on federated search under the POLDER initiative this year.
  6. Bill: POAWG was launched last week. During the next meeting on June 10th, Woehner will give a presentation on interoperability between observing systems and which fields to focus on for observing systems.
  1. On hold, to be addressed if time
  1. Polar Semantics Planning Matrix updates - Peter and Ruth
  1. The matrix is available at Matrix of metadata harvesting relationships
  2. The matrix and other materials from this family of meetings are being documented in two papers:
  1. PDPS White Paper Draft - Harvesting Portion (Peter)
  2. Matrix with additional fields as discussed during a WG meeting in 2020 for consideration on the new triple store to support this activity.
  2. Update on status
  1. PDPS White Paper Draft - Recommendations Portion (Rut)
  1. Update on status
  1. Discussion of the concepts data, information and knowledge and whether existing definitions we are working with applies in a broad sense, including local and traditional/indigenous knowledge. - Rebekah
  1. Discussion of issues raised in the 2020-12-15 meeting.
  2. Concepts being discussed now are:
  1. Data
  1. A set of values, symbols, or signs (recorded on any type of medium) that represent one or more properties of an entity. For example, the numbers generated by a sensor, values derived from a model or analysis, text entered into a survey, or the raw text of a document
  1. Information
  1. Products derived from data that lead to a greater understanding of an entity. For example, (i) the interpretation of a range of data from an array of conductivity sensors across the Arctic Ocean that informs us about that ocean’s salinity range or (ii) the narrative text of a report on harmful algal blooms that informs the reader on the timing of these blooms.
  1. Knowledge
  1. An abstract representation (i.e. a mental model) of an entity which: (i) is constructed from a substantial collection of information, (ii) grants its bearer reliable familiarity with that entity, and (iii) can be used to reason and take action about that entity. For example, an expert with knowledge about the salinity range of the Arctic Ocean (constructed from large amounts of information on the topic) would be able to reason that a salinity value of 43% is a likely error, rather than a real measurement.
  1. It was in the previous meeting we agreed that a living process that can be adapted as we continue engagement is required. How do we address this?
  2. It was in the previous meeting suggested that a joint statement towards e.g. Arctic Council outlining activities, goals, objectives, requests etc. is developed together with other relevant groups. How do we address this?
  1. Following discussions on the 2020-08-18 meeting, discuss definitions of data and datasets that could be used in the Arctic Community - Rebekah/Pier Luigi
  1. Background material
  1. The UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development Implementation Plan v2.0. (See glossary for definitions of data, information, knowledge, and digital knowledge ; note we had to tone down the technical aspects as this document goes to the GA) : 
  3. A dedicated channel in the Slack space has been set up to capture discussions between meetings.
  1. A paper/report on the Polar Vocabularies Questionnaire - Pier Luigi
  1. Pier Luigi is exploring this with support from Ruth, Mark and Øystein.
  1. Link to responses: Polar Vocabularies (Responses)
  2. See previous minutes for details.
  3. Update on status
  1. Regular interoperability workshops debriefs and plans - Rebekah/Øystein
  1. Lessons learned in the September 2nd workshop that should be further discussed
  2. Polar practices recommendations for implementing is the short term goal
  1. Next meeting
  1. Agreed to do the third Tuesday of the month, at 20:00 UTC (21:00 CET, 15:00 EST, 13:00 MST).
  1. Next meeting will be Tuesday 15th June.
  2. Øystein will create a calendar invite.
  1. Since not everyone is using Slack, emails should be circulated for each meeting.