BUHACH COLONY HIGH SCHOOL
Cheerleaders, by title, are “leaders’ and role models. As a Buhach Colony High School Cheerleader, you are to embrace this role, keeping in mind that your actions are always visible to others and a representation of your school and Cheer Team. BCHS Cheerleaders uphold the high standards set for their school, and are fine examples for their fellow students at all times, on and off the field.
EXPECTATIONS – OVERALL
- Sign and abide by the provisions of the Cheerleading Contract and Credo.
- Set an example of good behavior at all times (whether in uniform or not; on and off the field).
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA /no more than one “F”; possibility of probation one time in 4 years.
- Attend all scheduled practices and games – only allowed to miss a total of 2 per sport season.
- Arrive on time and be ready to work.
- All stunt work, whether practicing or performing, is to be done with coach’s supervision only.
- You must be present for ALL periods at school to participate in practice and/or perform at a game/rally
(absence lists will be checked on every practice and game/rally day)
- Give 100%, 100% of the time: be focused, be ready, be present, and try hard!
- Know your material. NO EXCEPTIONS
- Be an active contributor to the team: respecting and cooperating with each other; listening to and following the instruction of your captains and coaches.
- Attitudes must be positive and upbeat! Do not bring your problems with you to practices and games.
- Communicate directly with the coaches – not through your parents.
- Please be respectful of your uniform. There is no inappropriate handling of your uniform at any time. No one besides you is allowed to wear it. Uniform must be clean at all times when you are presenting yourself, as well as practice clothes.
- Cheer is a 2 season sport. You are committing to completing both seasons in their entirety. Quitting before the winter season concludes will result in a drop “F” grade for the semester.
EXPECTATIONS – SCHEDULE & ATTENDANCE
- Practices will be held every non-game day. Time and locations are always subject to change.
- Practices cancelled, changed, or added by the coaches only. Reasonable notice of a change will be given.
- Arrive at least 5 minutes prior to practice start time.
- Game days/times for all sports, including playoffs will be provided before the start of each sport season and are subject to change. Girls may be asked to attend games for sports other than football and basketball, including additional playoff games.
- If you are going to be late or absent you must text the coaches by 9:00 pm the night before.
- Doctor’s notes are required for any absence due to illness; otherwise you are expected to come to practice and watch.
- If injured, must attend practices/games to learn and support the team.
- If you miss a practice, you must learn the material that was taught on your own. NO Exceptions!
- During any game suspensions, the squad member will NOT dress and must sit with the coaches for the entire game and work.
EXPECTATIONS - PRACTICES
- No phone usage at all during practices and games.
- Proper attire must be worn at all times: cheer athletic shoes, practice clothes, with hair tied back in a neat ponytail (no whispies!). This means you must wear the practice clothes that you received or black, gold, and white athletic clothing with no logos other than Buhach Colony.
- Backpacks, binders, and water jugs are required at every single practice.
- No gum or jewelry.
- Nose rings are only accepted if they are little, plastic studs. No hoop cartilage piercings. All belly button piercings must be removed or bandaged before practice and games.
EXPECTATIONS - GAMES
- Have complete uniform at all games – NO EXCEPTIONS. If you do not have the proper uniform, you will be benched during the game. This means having CLEAN white shoes, a CLEAN uniform, and a ponytail or half up half down (determined by coaches/captains) with no whispies.
- Control and lead the crowd through positive cheers and chants. Remember, “Leader” is part of your role too.
- DO NOT socialize with players or crowd members during the game.
- Follow the captains - do not tell them what cheers you do or do not want to do.
- Perform only the stunts that have been perfected.
- Pay attention.
- Know the game & PAY ATTENTION!
- After all games: help clean up and store any items that may need to be put away. Dismissed with coaches approval only.
- VARSITY: arrive 1 hour prior to game time for home games. You will be benched for a portion of the game if you arrive after that time.
- JV: will attend games right after school. Coaches will decide meeting time on the track.
- AWAY GAMES: meet at the school at designated times with any and all necessary items in your backpack. Please do not forget your food because it will not be provided.
- No gum or jewelry.
- No nail acrylics and colors except for neutrals. No black.
EXPECTATIONS – BEHAVIOR
- ALL cheerleaders will be held accountable and responsible for ANYTHING inappropriate that is posted and/or said on ANY type of social media, including but not limited to: instagram, twitter, tumblr, Facebook, snapchat, etc.
- There is absolutely no reference to alcohol, drugs, or any inappropriate behavior at all times.
- In uniform, there is no public display of affection or crude behavior, which includes foul language.
- Bullying will not be tolerated under any circumstances.
- No “tattletales”. If you have an issue, follow this order of communication: first, outside of practice, talk with your teammate and try and work it out together; second, come to your coaches if the problem persists. DO NOT have your parents contact the coaches for you.
- Show respect for yourself.
Any violation of the Cheerleader Contract STANDARDS & EXPECTATIONS, including conduct deemed improper and unsuitable for a cheerleader may result in one or more of the following consequences, administered at the discretion of the cheerleading advisor and/or athletic director. Coaches and the advisor reserve the right, at any time, to remove a squad member from the team or bump them down to JV by exercising their better judgment, taking into consideration of any extenuating circumstances.
Coach’s Discretion: All BCHS Cheerleading standards, expectations, and consequences will be interpreted and carried out by BCHS cheer coaches, under the guidance of the Cheer advisor and BCHS athletic director. Interpretation of these rules is at the strict discretion of the BCHS cheerleading coaching staff.
DRESS CODE VIOLATION
➢ Practice 1 time = Benched for a quarter
➢ Practice 2 times = Don’t suit up for game; instead, work and help coaches
➢ Any Game = Benched
➢ Practice 5 tardy = 1 missed practice
➢ Game Tardy = Benched
➢ 2 absences* per sport = Removal from the team
o *not including excused absences due to illness with note from doctor
➢ GPA below 2.0 GPA /no more than one “F”; possibility of probation one time in 4 years. Suspension or removal of an ineligible player is a coach’s decision.
➢ Phone usage during practice or game = confiscation of phone until end of practice/game
➢ Bullying: If witnessed by coach, removal from the team
➢ Disrespectful/Rude/Use of Profanity during practice: One Warning
➢ Continued disrespect = Removal from practice; counts towards a missed practice; must sit out at next game not in uniform and work.
➢ Inappropriate Behavior or Substance Abuse: Removal from the team
➢ Inappropriate use of Social Media: If coaches see it, removal from the team.
2018 – 2019 Buhach Colony High School Cheerleading Contract
I, , have read and understand the above
standards and expectations for participation on the Buhach Colony High School Cheerleading Team, and I accept them as governing my participation.
(Print cheerleader’s name)
I,_____________________________________________________________, parent of above cheerleader, declare that I have read all of the standards and expectations of this Buhach Colony High School Cheerleading Team and agree to all terms in support of my child’s participation.
(Print parent’s name)
Cheerleader’s Signature: _____________________________________________________ Date: ______________
Parent’s Signature: _________________________________________________________ Date: _______________