Annual General Meeting of the CLO
09 August 2018
Attendance: Ed Casswell, James Derrick, James Egleton, Robin Hall, Alfie Heath, Tjebo Heeren, Christine Rogers, Will Scargill, Ju-Vern See, Lucy Taggart, Katie Traver, Kirsten Wood
- Presentation of the Annual Report and Financial Report
- Election of the committee
- Motion on setting term dates
- General discussion - key topics
- Any other business (AOB)
- All Committee - to set Y4T2 & Y4T3 term dates at the next committee meeting
- MG to add “John notes” to repertoire suggestions spreadsheet
- PASSED - Forecast each term and make available online
- PASSED - No paid soloist beyond Y4T1 until we reach our minimum reserves
- PASSED - Set all the following year’s concert dates at/toward the end of T2
- PASSED - Bind the conductor to the selected concert dates
- PASSED - Only truly exceptional circumstances as determined by the committee will be cause for change in concert date
- PASSED - Print the repertoire suggestions spreadsheet to give more people the opportunity to participate
- PASSED - Put a donations box out with the drinks
1) Presentation of the Annual Report and Financial Report
- We made a loss this year attributed to a combination of A) Aisha, soloist from T1, was expensive and didn’t contribute to any noticeable growth in ticket sales; B) summer concert brought in only half our average ticket sales.
- Concern around the lack of transparency about the conductor salary. The topic is discussed, but as the salary is now clearly laid out in the Accounts, which is to be available online, there was no further action taken.
2) Election of the committee
- New committee: Chair - Alfie Heath; Treasurer - Ju-Vern See; Events Manager - James Egleton; Publicity/comms - Martin Godber; Members Rep - Laurie Goodman
3) Motion on setting term dates
- Alfie H moves to set all of a year’s concert dates in advance.
- Will S recommends exceptional circumstances to be considered for any changes.
- James D recommends binding the conductor to those dates.
- The motion along with the recommended addendums passes.
- For Y4T2 & 3, the committee will select dates at their next committee meeting.
- Exceptional circumstances will be determined by the committee.
- In following years, the next year’s concert dates will be set at/toward the end of T2.
4) General Discussion - key topics
- Repertoire suggestions / selection process
- Add a column to the spreadsheet for John to explain decisions (e.g. this piece is too hard for the orchestra)
- Katie T moves to print the repertoire suggestions to bring to rehearsal for those less inclined to participate to have a greater opportunity. It passes.
- Must think of capacity vs. cost - St Katharine Cree is 230 cap / £285 cost
- We’ll look at new venues when we have reserves in place
- Ideas for other places: we’re booked in for St Giles Cripplegate this December, will be a good test; look at St John’s Waterloo, King’s Place, St Pancras.
- Financials / increasing revenues
- Online ticket sales - helps with forecasting
- Proposal to make members buy tickets to sell rejected
- Members fees increase likely - TBC
- Celebrate the committee regularly / incentivising
- Introductions at the start of every term
- Delegating committee activities to non-committee members
- Create deputies to help with the responsibilities
- No set responsibilities, just extra hands to help
- Check if we need one (probably)
- Does Making Music have a standard one we can use?
- Ask Patrick Cahill to help write one