Little Elkhart Chapter of Trout Unlimited
Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2018
Tom Vanderputten Jim Phillips Lee Troyer Leonard Gustin Nick Christofeno Mike Beachy
Court Walker John Hollister Wayne Andrews Cody Bettis Brandon Resler Rick Weidow
- The minutes from June 13, 2018 were approved.
- Water temperature is already approaching critical levels, always check before fishing.
- Mike has not been out recently to verify water level.
- If fishing The Meadow, Wilbur has temporarily relocated his cows.
- Keith Loutzenhiser submitted the financial report for June 2018. The total summary for all accounts was $ 26,873.52
- LECTU received a $ 100 donation from Dr. Burns. Also received $ 5 for a river guide.
- Summer Newsletter will be released later this summer (July/August)
- A summer workday schedule will be sent as a reminder
- A guide request was received from Mark Seeley of Goshen
New County Park
- There are no new updates on the progress of the park.
Catch and Release Proposal for New Park (Re-Copied from December 13, 2017 Minutes)
- Redraft old proposal into new proposal
- Start working on names of the people we need to lobby regarding proposal
- Research names and addresses of property owners across the river from new park
- Draft the letter to be sent. Meet with each person to explain and answer questions
Summer Work Days
- Mike attempted to cut trail on Friday June 29th. He was able to cut to the foundation hole.
- The following days for stream restoration: July 14 & 28, August 4 & 18, September 15
- This will be Phase III of the Meadow Project.
- LECTU has invited both the Chicago Chapter and Central Indiana Chapter of TU.
- Wilbur Yoder has requested we work on debris under his old bridge.
- At this time the trailer has not been licensed or renovated. It has been moved to The Meadow, and is being used as is.
- The following still needs to be accomplished:
- Keith will arrange title and license
- Bob Roth will customize the interior after LECTU has the trailer
- Keith will meet with Chris Miller to get specs needed to apply for title and license.
- Mike wants to purchase some new equipment (chainsaw, log roller, etc.)
- The committee would like LECTU and Dar Deegan to do a presentation, and talk about the benefits of the Little Elkhart River
- Nick and Leonard attended the last meeting and the date is set for August 25th.
- LECTU will have a booth and tie flies
Middlebury Youth Fishing Contest
- The date for this event is August 11th at 9:00am
- Court Walker is the LECTU contact person and Court will need additional volunteers
- This was held on June 16th with Keith representing LECTU with a Fly Fishing youth instruction.
- Ed Evans (Elkhart Conservation Club) was supposed to stock The Meadow. However with the water temperatures too high this was not done. The stocking will be moved to fall.
- TU sponsored rod/reel combo give away. Mike has submitted an application for 10 to for used a for youth training.
Valpo Fly Casting Club
- Valpo is sponsoring a U.S.A. National Casting Tournament from July 25 to July 28
- There will be several classifications (distance, one handed, two handed, etc.)
- This will be held at Rogers Lakewood Park and they need helpers.
Discussion Regarding Adopt-A-Trout and Brown Trout Stocking
- Jim Phillips introduced the topic regarding the inability of LECTU to secure an independent contractor to stock brown trout for the second consecutive year. Jim believes that with LECTU continuing to collect money for this project, but not stocking brown trout this would be an ethical problem for both LECTU and TU National.
- LECTU did secure a brown trout stocking from the State of Indiana for this year 2018. In addition The Elkhart Conservation Club will do an additional stocking of brown this fall. Therefore only one year of stocking was absent (2017)
- Jim stated that despite this effort his concern was the fundraising was held under essentially false pretenses, and would reflect poorly upon LECTU
- The membership agreed that since none of the money raised has yet been spent, and will be spent in future on Brown Trout stocking that at this point LECTU has not violated any ethical covenants with our members or the general public.
Next Meeting - August 8th, 2018 at 7:00 PM at the Middlebury Library
Tom Vanderputten - Secretary