Little Elkhart Chapter of Trout Unlimited
Meeting Minutes – June 12, 2019
Tom Vanderputten Glen Bixler Keith Loutzenhiser Nick Christofeno Jim Philips Mike Beachy
- The meeting minutes for May 8, 2019 were approved.
- CR 43 area of the Little Elkhart is fishing very well. Mike reported being there and catching 12 rainbows and 5 browns. Nick reported fishing at the Meadow and catching 8 rainbows and 4 browns. Tom also fished both areas and reported catching a mix of both rainbows and browns as well.
- Keith Loutzenhiser did not have the financial summary for May 2019.
- LECTU did receive an additional $ 10 raffle ticket and $ 10 for 2 river guides.
- LECTU also received another $ 100 from Dr. Burns.
- Brandon will send a LECTU communications notice with the summer work day schedule.
- Peter Mavrelis, Ogen Dunes, and Aaron Springer of Fort Wayne requested the Little Elkhart river fishing guides.
Brown Trout Stocking
- 500 browns were planted on May 17th. The browns were all in the 7” range and fat/healthy.
- 150 went in the Well Field and 350 went in at the Meadow (Yoder Farm). None were stocked at the Hoover Woods as it was too muddy for the truck.
- Indiana (stocking program) will plant browns at CR 43.
- LECTU shared the delivery costs with the Isaac Walton League since they stocked Judy Creek.
- LECTU will stock another 500 browns in the Little Elkhart this fall (2019).
Corson County Park
- Mike spoke with Rhonda DeCaire of the Elkhart Parks about some issues that need to be addressed.
- There is flooding of the property from the heavy rains. This is pooling water since the river did not go over the banks.
- Larry Koza indicated his preference to stock a large quantity of rainbows at the new park. Similar to the stocking at Bonneyville Mill.
- Mike is waiting on a call back from Rhonda DeCaire before contacting the homeowners.
Advanced Fly Casting
- Charlie Ray held this class. Bill and Penny Myers, Tim Pote, and Keith attended.
- Keith reported that it was a great class. Lots of new techniques and a good time.
- The Middlebury Parks event will be August 24 at Riverbend Park
- LECTU will have a booth at this event.
- Nick Christofeno is the LECTU person for this event.
Middlebury Parks Fishing Derby
- This event will be held in August and the town of Middlebury has requested assistance from LECTU.
- The date is August 10th. LECTU volunteers would serve as judges.
LECTU Summer Workdays
- LECTU will cut the trail on June 15th. Nick, Tom and Jim Mock have volunteered. Mark Holcomb and his son Caleb will also help.
- The following will be the work days for the stream restoration and preservation work. These are all Saturdays. July 13th, 27th. August 3rd, 17th. September 7th.
- LECTU will complete The Meadow Project. Adding kickers and deflectors.
- Subsequent to our meeting Cheryl Mast contacted Keith and told him that due to timing issues the Camp Amigo fly fishing class was cancelled for this year.
- Matt Miller scout master has a fence style crossing project and has requested assistance from LECTU.
Conner Flora (IU Fly Fishing Club)
- Conner is interning this summer with Dee Dargan and wants to study the Little Elkhart brown trout. This includes capturing the trout and doing a stomach pump to analyze the eating habits.
Next Meeting – July 10, 2019 at 7:00 PM at the Middlebury Library
Tom Vanderputten - Secretary