Toolkit: https://bit.ly/EndYemenWarNow created by, updated 1/2021 (scroll down for Action deets)
▶ Social Media Posts
▶ Phone Script
For any questions about this toolkit, please email:
What can YOU do to help END U.S. support for the Saudi-led war on Yemen?
- Use #YemenCantWait #StopArmingSaudi #StopArmingUAE in your posts
- Spread the word on social media
- Twitter: Share sample tweets (tweet ‘@’ your Senator/Rep) OR @Biden elect
- Facebook: Share Facebook posts on your feed and/or page (tag your Senator/Rep)
- Instagram: Share any one of sample posts
Legislation and Phone Script
Who is your U.S. Senator? Check Here:
Who is your Congressional Representative? Check Here
A couple things to keep in mind:
- When calling, tone matters! It’s always best to start off by thanking the congressperson for their efforts (on any issue you feel they worked on that had a positive impact). Our representatives need to know when something is working or if their voters are happy with their work.
- Express concern immediately afterwards. Make sure your message is clear and they understand WHY you’re calling.
- Make it personal. Members of Congress/Senators want to hear personal stories about how legislation affects their constituents. If something is not working for you (or people you know), let Congress know that, too. Use personal stories to help bolster their arguments both behind closed doors and in public speeches and interviews. Knowing exactly how their constituents are affected by legislation is the only way they know what works and what doesn’t. (same goes for the Senate)
- Make suggestions. Be specific! Tell the congressperson/senator exactly what you want them to do.
- Be confident when you call your Reps/Senators because you are informed, valued, and they work for you.
PHONE SCRIPT: (1-833-STOP-WAR)
“My name is ____, and I am one of your constituents. I am calling to express my discontent with the situation in Yemen. I am calling on Congressman/Senator ______ to support legislative action that will direct Biden to end U.S. support for the Saudi-led hostilities in Yemen and to ban arm sales to Saudi Arabia and the U.A.E.”
Pick from talking points below:
“Yemen is the World’s Worst Humanitarian Crisis”,
- Congress has not authorized this war, what are we doing supporting the Saudi-led coalition? Congress must take its power back, and stop giving our Administration a blank check to wage war in our name.
- There is a massive humanitarian crisis in Yemen caused by years of conflict and economic collapse.
- As a result, nearly 18 million Yemenis – or 2 out of every 3 people – don't know where their next meal is coming from.
- Over 85,000 children have died of hunger since the bombings began in 2015.
- “For every child killed by bombs and bullets, dozens are starving to death — and it’s entirely preventable.”
- The overall economic collapse, exacerbated by limited function of airports and seaports, has pushed the prices of basic goods out of reach for most, worsening hunger and inequality.
- More than 100,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed in Yemen in the last few years, according to a new assessment, a figure six times higher than previous estimates.
- There have been more than 1.1 million cases of cholera
- 22.2 million people in Yemen need some kind of humanitarian or protection assistance.
- Estimated over 18 million Yemenis are food insecure-8.4 million people are severely food insecure and at risk of starvation.
- 16 million lack access to safe water and sanitation, and 16.4 million lack access to adequate healthcare.
Post text with one of these graphics (more below)
Yemeni-Americans have been at the forefront trying to push policies to end the brutal war on their family’s homeland-#Yemen. We urge lawmakers to take back their power and put an end to U.S. support of the Saudi-led coalition and an end to arms sales to the KSA/UAE #YemenCantWait
It’s a war that has created the worst humanitarian crisis in the world — and one that the United States has backed from the beginning. Take action now to end U.S. support for the Saudi-led war in #Yemen.Urge your Reps to support laws that would withdraw US support. #YemenCantWait
Feb 2020: 19 children among the dead after Saudi-led airstrikes attacked al-Jowf in N. Yemen. Civilians continue to be the highest number of casualties in this unconstitutional war. Bombs that hit Yemeni people are made in the U.S.A. We Must #StopArmingSaudi #YemenCantWait
Over 100K #Yemenis have been killed since the Saudi-led coalition, backed by the U.S. intervened in 2015.Bombs that kill Yemeni people are made in the USA.We are actively involved in this war & have been since Obama. Biden must end ALL support for this brutal war #StopArmingSaudi
End the U.S.-Backed Saudi Blockade of Yemen: https://every75seconds.org/
MoveOn End the Blockade Petition
March 26th: Six years of War on Yemen Webinar
Jan 25th: World Says no war on Yemen: Online Global Rally
Jan. 16th Film Screening (Hunger Ward) Panel Discussion
Other Tools and Resources:
A ‘Peace’ Solution, March 2021
- Film Screening & Discussion: HUNGER WARD, Jan 2021
- Pressure builds on Biden to end support for Saudi-led war in Yemen, Jan 2021
- President-elect Joe Biden can help end the war in Yemen, December 2020
- Biden facing growing pressure over secretary of defense pick, December 2020
- Ending the Yemen war is both a strategic and humanitarian imperative. November 2020
- Joe Biden Said He's Against the Yemen War. He Needs To End It on Day One. November 2020
- International Webinar on Yemen: October 8th, 2020
- First You Bomb & Starve a Country. Then You’re Praised for Sending in Aid. June 2020
- Op-Ed: War May End in Yemen, But It Now Faces a Public Health Crisis of Pandemic Proportions. March 27, 2020
- Five Years of War, YAC Webinar: March 25th, 2020:
- Biden Confronted His Legacy On Saudi Arabia. Obama Won’t.: Dec. 2019
- How Democrats, Republicans And Jared Kushner United To Protect Saudi Arabia: Dec. 2019
- Commander-in-tweet: Sept. 2019
- Mobilizing Muslim Resistance to the Saudi War in Yemen: Aug. 2019
- Full Circle KPFA; War in Yemen: June, 2019
- Here’s Exactly Who’s Profiting from the War on Yemen: June 2019
- Here Are the “Progressives” Who Watered Down the House Measure Ending Support for the Yemen War : Feb. 2019
- War Crimes in Our Name: A Q&A With Shireen Al-Adeimi: January 2019
- Nancy Pelosi Finds Time for War Hawks—But Not Yemeni-American Peace Advocates: Dec. 2018
Statista: Data on air raids in Yemen
Yemen Data Project: Data on the conduct of the war in Yemen
ACLED: Armed Conflict Location & Event Data
ReliefWeb: Powered by OCHA
Save the Children
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies
Donate to Yemen:
Yemen Relief and Reconstruction: YRRF
Find us on YouTube: YemeniAllianceCommittee