The University of Tennessee RecSports Department
Outdoors Program - Position Announcement
Climbing Wall Instructor
RecSports is seeking enthusiastic, responsible, and self-motivated students to join our staff who are looking for valuable experience in the field of Recreation and Sports Management or looking to gain valuable work experience. Through working with the Outdoors program, students will gain experience in Business Administration, Customer Service, Financial Processes, Cash Management, Equipment Management, and more.
Interested individuals should access and complete the RecSports Online Student Assistant Employment Application and upload their resume.
Climbing Wall Instructors teach belay/ intro to climbing and lead climbing classes.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Greeting participants, answering questions and directing them to the right resource with friendly and positive service.
- Cleaning, maintaining, and renting climbing equipment.
- Teach weekly learn to climb & belay clinics and evaluate participants in belay ability.
- Instruct and belay participants on the climbing wall.
- Running errands.
- Identifying what needs to be done and doing it.
- Maintain climbing participation records.
- Help participants plan their own climbing adventures.
- Ensuring safety during all clinics and programs.
- Enforce the rules and regulations of the department.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Belay checked at the Vol Wall
- Climb V1 and 5.8 easily
- Want to help others get into climbing
- Be able to clearly communicate and enforce policies, procedures, and program-specific goals
- Provide excellent customer service
- Ability and initiative to think critically and solve problems
- Attention to detail and highly organized
- Be comfortable upholding policies and guidelines
- Handle point of sale transactions for cash.
- 1 semester or more of climbing experience (gym or rock)
- Prior experience in climbing gym or climbing program
- Prior experience in customer service or retail
Climbing Wall Hours:
- Mon-Thur 3-9 PM
- Fri 3-8 PM
- Sun 4-8 PM
Outdoor Center Hours:
- Mon & Fri 1-7 PM
- Tues-Thurs 1-6 PM
Average 8-10 hours of work per week, with opportunity for up to 20 hours.
Pay Rate: $7.50/hour
Please contact Trey Knight, email@example.com for more information.