JFK Middle School PTO Meeting Minutes
June Meeting (May 29th, 2018)
Attendance: Cyndi Stein (President), Tricia Carey (Secretary), Melanie Finn (Treasurer), Elaine Mount (Associate Principal), Leslie Wilson (Principal), Hillary Gardner, Darla Gormely, Laura Fallon.
Approved minutes from May meeting
Financial report- Reviewed and accepted.
- JFK PTO teacher grants annual summary
- Would like to remind teachers to follow through with obtaining grants that were approved, and also to remind teachers grants need to be re-applied for each year.
- Reviewed April-May. $21,769.58 is what’s in the checking account
- No new grant requests today
- Will consider budgeting more funds for new board member insurance coverage, as this may be important to new leadership.
- 8th grade picnic, 6/11 – Darla, $762 received so far. Also still asking for volunteers! Need to make sure volunteers’ cories are up to date. Field day is the day of the cookout, so it was decided they would do pizza & fruit cups.
- Darla processed paperwork and checks for spring spirit order
- Fall ES-PTO Carnival, Sunday 9/23: Sign up genius for volunteer jobs- Hillary will post in the newsletter. Plan is to move from Jackson St to now an all-school event and have at JFK. The invite is aimed at preschoolers and kindergarteners. Each PTO will have an info table. School locals will obtain insurance coverage.
- PTO summit mtg (highlights): All the PTOs congregate and review their years’ progress. They discussed food issues and school council and Health Advisory Committee (small committee who invited Hillary and Cyndi to participate and the next mtg is in September) may be appropriate groups to discuss the matter further. The PTO also reviewed the seemingly even-split dialog. The $40,000 - $50,000 annual kitchen operations which need to zero out annually.
- Ideas for recruiting new officers. Will keep sending info out to the elementary schools for prospective officers.
- Day of service & Field Day: June 12th: cardboard is obtained; funding for new brushes is available; Google docs has a list of supplies necessary- kids will be signing up for activities this week and we will be clearer on supplies needed.
Ice Cream social plan: historically, occurred at lunch in any given day. Given the recent “junk food” debate, the PTO is considering providing frozen fruit pops instead.
Circus Smirkus group ticket offer for 7/31 or 8/1- will be put in the newsletter
Cyndi talked about facilitating a grant committee
Principal’s report: Thanks for the appreciation lunch! Received Day of service grant. Salsa happened today! It was great! 8th grade French Quebec trip was a great success over the weekend.
This is our last PTO mtg until September 11, 2018