Gateway Regional High School
Middle School Chorus: Grades 7-8
856-848-8200 ex. 3504
Google Classroom Code: t4gj3ep Remind.com: text @g8waymsc to 81010
The Middle School Chorus is an elective, one year class, designed to provide an introduction in basic musical skills and content for the interested young singers. The class is open to all 7th and 8th grade students who wish to participate in a choral/vocal experience. There are two important objectives. First, the aspects of good singing and musicianship are explored and experienced. Second, an emphasis is placed upon active and responsible group participation.
Course Expectations and Assessments
Students will receive a grade on the report card each marking period. The grade is based on:
1. Singing Tests. Students will sing excerpts from the music they have studied. Evaluation will be based on accurate notes, rhythms. There will be some testing that is done as a section as well as individual. (Primary Assessment)
2. Performance Requirement. Students are required to participate in several concerts per year. The Winter Concert, the Mid-Winter Cabaret, and the Spring Concert are some specific examples of such performances. Attendance at the concerts is worth a test grade of 100. Absence from a concert will result in a test grade of 0, unless there are extreme extenuating circumstances, which will require a letter from a parent, guardian, or doctor to be excused. If a student misses a concert with a valid explaination, they will have the opportunity to make up that grade by writing a paper. Dress Rehearsals are also considered performances (Primary Assessment)
3. Musicianship Activities - Students will complete worksheets in class on various musicianship subjects. (Secondary Assessment)
4. Musicianship Testing - Written tests on elements of musicianship such as rhythm, solfeggio, and notation. (Primary Assessment)
5. Active and Positive Class Performance. This includes attendance at rehearsals, active singing at all times, no disruptive behavior, having your own music, and efforts to sing correctly. (Secondary Assessment)
Class Performance/Preparation: Since Chorus is a performing art, students are required to perform in my class. As long as they are: actively performing in rehearsal, have a pencil to mark down notes in their music, paying attention, not using their phones in class, etc. they will be successful in my class.
Cell Phones/Smart Phones: The use of a cell phone/smart phone in class is prohibited, unless specified by the teacher ahead of time. After the 3rd offense, points will be deducted from the student’s Performance grade and an email will be sent home.
Music/Rehearsal Materials/Folders: Music and rehearsal materials will be provided for each student. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure that they do not lose their music. A folder will be assigned to each student, so they can keep their materials all in one place. If a student loses or severely damages a copy of their music or their folder, they may be asked to pay a fee in order to replace the missing/damaged item.
Homework: Assignments will be given from time to time. This will usually occur in the form of an assignment post on Google Classroom, but will sometimes occur as a paper handout in class. These assignments must be completed on the due date. Failure to complete the assignments can result in the student not being able to retake specific tests that directly relate to the missed assignment.
Required and Recommended Materials
In the event that your student needs extra help, I am available everyday during 5th period for lessons as well as every Wednesday, after school. If these times do not work for your schedule, then we can try to figure out another time when we can meet.
If you have any questions, feel free to email me: email@example.com
Classroom Behavioral Expectations and Rewards/Consequences
IMPORTANT PERFORMANCE DATES:
Middle School Holiday Concert - 12/14/2017 @ 7:00pm
High School Holiday Concert DRESS REHEARSAL - 12/19/2017 @6:00pm
Flyers Night - 12/20/2017 TBD
High School Holiday Concert - 12/21/2017 @ 7:00pm
Mid-Winter Cabaret - 2/9/2018
Middle School Spring Concert - 5/17/2018 @ 7:00pm
High School Choir Spring Concert DRESS REHEARSAL - 5/22/2018 @ 6:00pm
High School Choir Spring Concert - 5/24/2018 @ 7:00pm
High School Band & Jazz Band Spring Concert - 5/31/2018 @ 7:00pm
Music Awards Night - 6/7/2018 @ 6:00pm