Parents of 6th Graders,
Beginning Monday, Nov 12, students will bring home their school laptop with them each night. We have some information and suggestions to share with you before this happens.
- Please allow your student to only use his/her laptop in a public area in your home - not in his/her bedroom.
- Laptops must stay in the cases at all times. The case should be closed and zipped when the laptop is not in use.
- Please set healthy time limits for computer use at home. If your child is doing “school work” on the computer for hours, perhaps your child is working too long on something or are off-task with something like games.
- We suggest your family set a consistent time each evening (9 pm) to put the laptop away.
- Laptops need to come to school fully charged each day; they need to be plugged in at home.
- There is a $250 deductible for laptop damages. Please make rules at home to avoid laptop disasters. Be sure your student knows his or her financial responsibility should damage occur. Details can be found in the Laptop Guidebook signed by you and your child.
- Please remember that the ACS filters will be in use for your students even at home, but no filter is perfect. Again - be aware of where your child is using the laptop, and what they are doing.
- Laptops should not be used on the bus.
- Chris McKenna from Protect Young Eyes has helpful parent information about internet safety. We invite you to visit his website.
Connecting to a Wireless Connection:
- When you click on the Wi-Fi icon in the upper right corner, your home wireless network should appear.
- Your child may need you to type in your wireless network’s security code so they can connect.
Adding a Home Printer:
- Open system preferences.
- Select print and scan.
- Click on the + sign to add a printer.
- Your home printer should show up in the list.
- If not, check that it is turned on or plugged into the laptop.
- Select the printer from the list.
- Click Add.
- You may also watch this tutorial on Adding a Home Printer for further help.
We are excited to begin this new phase of middle school with your child. Let us know via the helpdesk.adachristian.org if you have any problems or concerns.
ACS Tech Team and 6th Grade Teachers