NOHS Band Booster Meeting Notes 2019-2020
July 26th Parent Meeting and End of Camp Performance
Scott welcomed all of the parents and shared that the week has gone great. Students are bonding and doing great work. He invited everyone to see the opener on the field at 7.
Thanks to Shirley and Margie for arranging food, volunteers, and lots more camp this week.
Reminder, to check the calendar online for the up-to-date information regarding continued practice next week. August 5th is open house for teachers. Shoes fittings will be done at 5pm. Band pictures are at 5:30. If you don't have band shoes yet, wear completely black shoes and socks.
Check the website for specific practice times on the website.
Charms is how we send emails. Parents were asked to let us know if you haven't gotten the emails. We are having students check over thfor errors. Email is best for contacting Mr. Smith, expecially if there are special circumstances for absences.
A parent asked about evening practices and Scott shared the students can stay after school in the band room so they don't ride a bus home and then drive right back. Scott shared he will send out much more information as events approach.
Wayne praised Mr. Smith as being a great director. Wayne shared that he helps facilitate communication and work between Mr. Smith and the parents/boosters. The booster goals are to support the band as it grows. He shared that we're always looking for people to join our board.
Wayne continued to speak for his wife in regards to getting many emails this year, but they are needed to keep us successful. Next Thursday night (August 1st, 6:30 pm), we are having a a parent meeting to find parent leaders for the concession area. We also need volunteers for away competitions and away games.
The spirit store is available online now (through August 5th). It will be delivered to the school and to you.
Shirley and Margie: Thanks to all of those who gave gift cards and items to our kid giveaways, fruits and veggies. If you didn't get a personally owned bowls or platters, they are on the table under the dry erase board in the band room.
Lynn and Tanya: Uniforms for Wind and percussion were passed out this week. Thanks to all of the moms that came out to help with that. Although a couple of students are still without a uniform, we are working to get the uniforms altered to fit well. If you haven't been contacted about this, please let Tanya know. Flagline has not received their bags yet. They should have them before the first game. Remember to check the parent handbook that you have signed. Especially important is making sure during any alterations, you don't do any cutting, just hemming, so we can take them out for new kids next year. Uniforms should be dry cleaned at least twice a year (before you turn it in as well). Please put an identification for the bags and garment bags. But, make it temporary (no inks). Don't iron the uniforms. Make sure you have long, plain black socks to wear.
Joel showed everyone the two ways to find our calendar from the website, as well as the new links for spirit wear purchases and Sign Up Genius from Wayne. He also made a general request for anyone who has a special conection with Verizon or AT&T for help with a mobile wifi project he is working on for the transmission of our halftime show and digital payment processing for the concession stands.
Jeff asked that parents please put their student name and what the check is for in the memo line. Please use Charms to find out what has been paid for and your contact information. If you send in more money than was needed for something, we don't try to give change, we put it in the students' miscellaneous account. The largest fund raiser comes from the concession stands. Please go to the sign-up genius to see how you can help. Fundraisers go to an "all band" fund. Other fund raisers can go towards the student's individual accounts and can be used for trips and such. The next meeting will include a treasurer's report.
July 20th (Executive Board)
Jeff shared that he and Shirley were thankful and impressed that there were so many freshman parents around and helping during freshman camp. Having those parents are great because support for each part (especially concessions) are needed to make it all easier for us to support our kids.
- August 1st 630-830 - concessions meeting with everyone that would be willing to help. An email blast to be sent to all parents to help recruit for special jobs like Friday setup, ordering, etc.
- Rec games, need to continue for extra funding. Beta Club and Honor Society students could help/need hours? Joel to share this info with his son, Evan (Beta Club President).
- Schedules? Figure out and share in August, Games in September
- Wayne said they will send a Sign-Up Genius link to Joel for the website on the last day of band camp (Friday, July 26th).
A discussion regarding digitizing forms took place. All forms are to remain in paper form, except next year’s commitment forms. Moving those to a Google Form will make entering the information into Charms a much faster process in the spring. We will review the process in February.
It was shared that the lunch choice form has been working very well and parents have been giving compliments about the ease of using it for food choices.
Band Camp Setup
- We will get two tents from soccer and Wayne will bring a third.
- Tables are already there.
- Cafeteria is accessible for storage of cold food donatoins
- Dr. Brown said we can use the Commons for Thursday’s dance.
- A single bus and golf cart are available for bad weather transport.
- Kona Ice for lunch on Friday
- Need a couple of parents helping on Monday (Freddies) to help serve first round of ice cream
- Scott to order pizza for Thursday’s dance (7-9 pm)
- Volunteers are set, beginning on Monday, hope to be done by Wednesday
- Scott said don’t issue the Shakes but not the boxes. It will save time.
- Gloves are in, t-shirts are in and will be passed out like last year. Flagline will get them in the morning.
- Joel shared that he has been in talks with Dr. Brown and the new technology Director, Ryan White. They are working on getting access for streaming/publishing of halftime shows.
- If successful, it could be used for digital processing of payments at the homestand concessions. Could we expand to the visitor’s concessions too?
- Charms has a PayPal connection option. What would it take to use that? Or Charms online payments for band fees?
- Joel and Jeff to investigate options
- Jeff tracks what students have paid for in Charms and is able to see what’s left there.
- Will again be sold online. Link will be sent to Joel for the website and will be open to purchases through the Monday after school starts (August 12th)
- New shelves for trophies have been installed in the band room. Thanks to the students who helped.
- Tracks will be installed to display plaques
- Great job this week, nine graders, drumline, and flagline!
- Jeff is planning to add the ability to have “Titan” and “Regiment” on the field where “North” and “Soccer” are during soccer off season.
Competitions and Special Events
- August 5th Picture Day and Meet the Teacher. Pictures will be at 5:30pm with Practice at 6:30pm.
- September 17th - Exhibition at Cedar Shoals
- October 5th - Grovetown HS
- October 18th - 8th grade night at NOHS game
- October 19th - Gordon Central HS
Rising Ninth Grade Parent Meeting (7:00pm)
Scott went over the packet of inform parents what’s needed for commitments. Wayne shared some general information for the future (moving to a four bus band).
VP 1: Band Camp and Jazz Dessert
Shirley Eddy and Margie Hines (not present)
- Shirley went over the duties that she and Margie do
- Band Camp volunteers needed
- We have plenty planned for the students, working on details that will be shared later.
VP 2: Uniform and Awards Banquet
Tonya Henderson and Lynn Hughes
- Went over the schedule for fitting and getting band uniforms, mentioned that we have been saving for new uniforms and will be looking to buy new ones soon. The garment bag and accessories were shown to parents. Parents were informed not to permanently change them (cutting pants legs, etc), just fold them under and have them whip-stitch hemmed (easy to remove). Clarke Cleaners and others were shared for dry cleaning ($6-7 compared to $14).
- Awards banquet was described, helping parents see how we support and honor our students. The show for each summer is also revealed, which is super exciting for all of the band members.
VP 3: Concessions: Nicole Rivera and Adrian Torres
- It is our biggest volunteer and fundraising event. If everyone volunteers once, we’ll have everything covered. Details were shared about how things are run, that parents don’t have to be a director of anything, just volunteer to help and be willing to commit to a little time.
Secretary: Joel Frey
- Sent around a sign-in sheet to keep attendance, shared that he is in charge of videotaping the half-time show and website. His daughter is a rising sophomore, so he’s here for the long haul.
Treasurer: Jeff Henderson
- Shared the balance sheet for the band, that we plan for the future through fundraising and fees. Explained student accounts (pre-paid account that can be used to pay for stuff), but it’s not used much. Charms is used for tracking a student’s balance.
- The friends campaign is used to ask for donations from friends and family, we sell fruit and other items to raise funds as well.
- Jeff emphasized the need to replenish parent volunteers each year. So, please don’t disappear. Give a little to the band to keep it great!
Volunteer Coordinator: Melissa Suggs
- A volunteer website will be shared, keep an eye out for emails asking for that help.
- Chaperones are needed for buses (3 per bus minimum)
Mr. Smith Closes the Meeting
- Asked everyone to keep an eye out for the newsletter. If you haven’t turned in commitment forms, please get one tonight. All are due by next Friday.
Executive Board Meeting (6:15pm)
Wayne called the meeting to order
- All was present except for Margie.
- Looking for help with concession stand
- James Shelton has lab on Friday evening, but can help after
- Jimmy Thompson is willing to take orders, just point him to the work
- Adrian (met at jazz dessert) also talked about helping
- August 23rd is first home game. Let’s not try to cram it into the end of the year, let’s organize during band camp
- We’ll do some more recruiting tonight for concession and donation ideas
- Jazz desert went well
- Sticking with Kroger (got $25 gift card) and Sam’s club has limited cake selection
- Playing Hendershots on Thursday ($5 cover, all ages welcome)
- Meeting @ noon on Saturday to prep. Dinner is at 7pm
- No tickets sold at the door
- Videos are ready to show
- Keily and Ramell (sp?) are working on the slideshow
- Senior gifts are ready
- New heating and air is being installed over the summer. We need a place to put all of the school-owned instruments and misc items. Anyone have connections to help?
- Band and gym is being done first and should be done by camp.
- Good for Kona Ice for lunch, Freddies, water ballons and such for fun, Fox’s, Inoko, Chick-fil-A, fire trucks, minute to win-it games? Etc.
- Pot luck @ new house (Shirley) July 19th ~ 630pm