#212 - Into the Nexus: “Tempo Storm’ing”
• Garrett • Kyle • Jeff or Dunk
Our Patrons support Into the Nexus at Patreon.com/ITN. If you enjoy the show consider supporting it with 25 cents, a dollar, or however you would like! We thank all our Patrons for their support!
Intro: Welcome to Into the Nexus! The Heroes of the Storm podcast!
Tempo Storm Interview
Thanks to Hazard for setting this up. Psalm & Kala confirmed
I would be the one to discuss the team and performance outside of the game.
- Scrim block ends at 5 PT exactly...
- Kala what is coaching like?
- Psalm what’s it like being coached?
- Psalm you play Hero League, Kala you’ve been making ranked coaching videos. What’s the HL experience like for you.
- Do you play Team League
Psalm : Grandmaster 10 with most victories on Medivh.
Kala : Fantastic Coaching videos
Soapbox Machine Gun
- Deckard Cain
- Fenix for this Weekend’s HGC
- Fenix Balance Patch
- Sylvanas Change
- Anything else general about the balance update
- What does Hero League mean to Pro-Players and their coach?
- Longer Queue
- MMR and Rank decay
- New 3rd ban in the Mid phase
Ready and done! WOOT!
- Transitioning knowledge from pros to the game at home
- How do we grow Heroes?
- What happens in your head during drafts? Are the commentators getting it right?
- What's it like being on the inside of Heroes?
- Do you want your own balanced version of the game?
Give them time to thank Red Bull.
Reddit was on Fire
Via TeamLiquid.net.Slapjack: The Hero League Dilemma
- Guides aren’t the problem. Incentivizing the player base to read guides (and overall learn more about the game) is the problem.
- Maybe a bell curve isn’t the best goal for League Distribution
- Suggests more placements and MMR Decay for higher ranks
- Suggests reworking rewards
- I agree with reworking rewards but I hate the ideas suggested here. Mounts should be offered further down the rank totem pole (Gold). Especially if Heroes were to do away with the bell curve.
Of all the reddit dram this is pretty much the only post I think addresses real issues.
MMR and Matchmaking
- Given all your feedback, it’s clear we’ve been favoring reducing queue times a little too much. Moving forward, we’re going to harden these rules in order to enforce higher quality matches. As a result of the changes we plan to implement, higher-skilled players may see longer queue times in exchange for higher quality matches.
- We’re working to institute both MMR and rank decay. Players who have not played any games for a while will have their MMR slowly adjusted to compensate. Likewise, players who do not regularly participate in a given season will see a decline in their rank points over time.
Performance Based Matchmaking
- When we bring this feature back, we intend to add additional context about how point adjustments are determined. This should help you better understand how you’re performing and where you can improve in the future. Keep an eye out for those details in the near future.
- We also received feedback that performance-based matchmaking isn’t as effective at the highest levels of ranked play. This subset of players is relatively small, which can result in too few players setting the standard for in-game performance in specific situations. As a result, when performance-based matchmaking returns, it will no longer adjust point totals for Grandmaster and Master league players.
- Going forward, those who play enough ranked games during the current season will only need to complete as little as one placement match when the next season begins. After completing your placement, you will be placed based on your MMR at the end of the previous season.
- New players can no longer place higher than Platinum 5 at the end of their placement matches going forward.
- Additionally, we believe the introduction of MMR and rank decay will help account for players who take long breaks from ranked play. As such, these returning players will no longer be re-seeded into placements based on their skill in other game modes.
- We’re currently planning to add this ban to the existing mid-ban phase rather than create an entirely new third phase.
- We’ve also considered simply using the same “first come, first served” pick method that exists in Team League and Custom Games, and we may bring some of these ideas to Unranked Draft as a test.
New Heroes and Hero League
- Hero League data is critical for us to fine-tune a new Hero and hit their two-week patch timing. We hope the addition of a third ban in ranked play will help relieve the pressure when expanding a ban on any new or reworked Hero that may be considered too strong.
- We’ve been working on a new system that uses machine learning to help improve the validation of player reports. We expect to be able to roll this new system out in the very near future.
- We’re going to start escalating penalties from silences, to suspensions, and even bans as repeat offenses stack up.
- We’re deep into development of a loss forgiveness feature, which will mitigate ranked point deductions for players who lose a game due another’s failure to participate. The leaver will be penalized for the loss and repeated offenses will result in harsher penalties. The system will initially only forgive losses caused by leavers, but we plan to expand it to include AFK players and intentional dying in the future.
Fenix Balance Patch
Almost everything here is balanced based on popularity of the talent, not the win-rate. Their current design philosophy is to add more features to underpicked talents and increase cooldowns attached to popular talents.
Devs: Fenix has proven himself quite powerful, mainly due to his capability for consistent damage output. While we’re happy with how he plays, we’re making a few changes to bring his damage in line and address Talent imbalances.
- Basic Attack damage reduced from 96 to 86.
Plasma Cutter (Q)
- Damage reduced from 145 to 135.
Planet Cracker (R)
- Damage increased from 105 to 108.
Nerf to popular slow build build
- Advanced Targeting
- Combat Advantage
- Auxiliary Shields
Buffs to underpicked talents (Making them kinda nutty)
- Arsenal Synergy
- Level 20 Singularity Charge and Unconquered Spirit
Buff Fix : Plasma Cutter is now correctly interrupted by Stasis effects, like Stitches’ Gorge and Anub’arak’s Cocoon.
Devs: As part of our ongoing quest to increase counter-play and curb frustration when playing against certain Heroes, we’re changing Sylvanas’ Black Arrows trait so that her Abilities no longer disable Structures. This effect is incredibly powerful and, in the past, has limited how Battlegrounds can be designed and played. We realize that turning off enemy Structures is an important part of Sylvanas’ identity, so rather than removing this functionality completely, we’re addressing it in such a way that she now has to put herself in danger to get maximum value. This should allow more counter-play for opponents when Sylvanas is pushing, and enable us to improve her teamfight capabilities, which we’re doing initially via a small Basic Attack damage buff. We’ll be keeping an eye on her performance, and are ready to make further tuning changes as needed.
- Basic Attack damage increased from 85 to 90.
- Black Arrows (Trait)
- Abilities no longer disable Structures.
Talents are pretty crunchy. Will just post who got buffed and nerfed. Will talk about it as a whole
- Falstad - Under Picked talent buff
- Varian - Less health from Taunt, more health overall
- Kharazim - More Health More Transcendence healing
- Chen - Bonus per hero hit. Spell armor talents
- Dehaka - Under Picked tents buff
- Leoric - Attack damage and Drain Hope Cooldown
- Tyrael - Sword of Justice Talent builds
- Zarya - Health and damage
- 5 seconds onto Natural Agility
- The main Battlefield of Eternity : Serrated Arrows (W)
- Level 4 : Bonus damage granted versus Minions, Mercenaries, and Monsters reduced from 150% to 100%.
- Li Ming - Domination nerf?
- Nova - Main Pinning Shot Build
- Tracer - Health and damage nerf
- Medivh - Main Arcane Explosion build nerfed
- Malfurion - Base Healing Reduced
Patreon Mention: Patreon.com/ITN
Thanks to our Patreon producers Declan H and CheezyBob.
- Hugh Arai
- Nat Ramsey
- Derek Bell
Patreon Shout Out
ITN is supported by our badass Patrons. You can become a ITN Patron by going to Patreon.com/itn.
Thanks to our Patreon producers Declan H and CheezyBob. ITN shirt at shirts.amove.tv. Coffee mugs and glasses are over at etched.amove.tv.
Catch the live show Thursday nights at 8pm Eastern on Twitch.tv/Amovetv. Mobile live stream provided by Alpha Geek Radio. Go to mobile.alphageekradio.com.
Follow the show on Twitter @ITNcast and ITNpodcast.reddit.com.
Thanks to Gorath for our intro music and briangriffithmusic.com (@briangriffith) for our outro..
Follow Garrett @GarrettArt
NOMOONart.com for Garrett’s stream designs.
The Angry Chicken: A Hearthstone Podcast
The Angry Nerd