Get Out the Vote: Amplify Black Women
“Takeover” our own social accounts to get more progressive voters to the polls. Use these lists to find content to share for 24 hrs on or before 10/21 (est ~30 min work) #KeepSharingtheMic
More organizations, leaders, and accounts: bit.ly/LTBWVOTE
- Follow 5 or more accounts (and/or the lists above)
- Share/RT only their posts for a day to #KeepSharingtheMic
- Fundraise for, donate to, and volunteer with one organization (optional but encouraged)
- Ask others to do the same
IMAGE (optional, more below)
- Get more progressive voters to vote by amplifying AMAZING voter turnout work that Black women are already doing.
- Black women lead the most productive voting efforts to get people to the polls, protect voting rights, drive voter registration, and support free & fair elections (more below).
- Promoting their work (without creating extra work for them) gives us leverage to increase progressive voter turnout in 2020.
DIY 24 hour #KeepSharingtheMic "takeovers" of our own social platforms. For one day all our posts will amplify, promote, share, fundraise for, and support voting rights work led by Black women.
- CHOOSE - organization(s) and voice(s) to amplify from the database at bit.ly/LTBWVOTE or by following the social media lists
- AMPLIFY - (with credit, links, permission where appropriate) share their content during a 24 hour "takeover" of our own platform/s using hashtag #KeepSharingtheMic hashtags specific to orgs we pick
- FUND - Please share a donate link, ask for audience support, and if possible, donate and volunteer personally for one group
- Ask others to #KeepSharingtheMic with us
Use these lists to help choose posts and groups that resonate. Follow them and get ready to promote their work.
Posts these anytime from now to 10.21:
- IG Story: Post some story images (including the BLANK one for others to fill in and one of it filled in by you) link to bit.ly/LTBWINFO, #KeepSharingtheMic
- IG Wall: Post this image with caption: Listen to Black women about voting. Join me supporting this powerful work with #DIY #Takeovers of our own accounts. Share stories and regram wall posts from the amazing organizations at bit.ly/LTBWINFO #KeepSharingtheMic #GOTV #Election2020
- Twitter post: Image attached, caption: Get Out the Vote by creating a #KeepSharingtheMic #takeover that amplifies Black women led election work #GOTV
Starting at midnight Tuesday into Wednesday 10.21
- Post this image with caption Listen to Black women about voting. Today I'm amplifying these leaders and organizations with #DIY #Takeovers of my social media accounts. Get to know these women, support their work, and volunteer to help others vote. You can do it too: bit.ly/LTBWINFO #KeepSharingtheMic #GOTV #Election2020
- Follow some of these accounts, regram some of their posts, and copy+paste some stories, tagging it #KeepSharingtheMic bit.ly/LTBWINFO
Share what we’re doing via posts and header images
Use the blank to make your own, & share it blank for others too
WHY BLACK WOMEN LED EFFORTS?
Black women led programs are already out in the field across the USA doing the work of protecting this election.
Black women have disproportionately led voting rights work - for decades - because they’ve had to. They know more about:
- how to protect and restore voting rights
- register voters
- get out the vote
- fight voter suppression
- support voters throughout the process
Supporting their work gives us all leverage to help protect democracy itself: Read more here & “The Chisholm Effect”
"the nation has long ignored Black women’s wisdom and prescience, and we are all paying the price -- while Black women themselves are among those punished the most.”
Share what we’re doing with these post and header image alternatives or create our own with the blanks.
LinkedIn Cover Alternatives
Instagram Stories Have fun with the blank, and also share it blank for others to use
Twitter Post Alternatives
This election is essential, and the good news is that across our country (as they always have), Black women are leading legions of underfunded, underappreciated efforts to make voting easier and protect democracy.
We can ALL help.
We can LISTEN TO BLACK WOMEN and we can amplify their voting work with #KeepSharingtheMic "takeovers" of our own platforms.
My DMs are open: http://twitter.com/pistachio.
Thanks SO much - Laura Fitton