Diamond DA-40 Transition Checkout
Name: _____________________________________________ Date: __________________
Airplane Make/Model: ________________________________________________
Answer the following questions in the space provided, using the FARs, AIM, Chart Supplement, and POH. If you reference one of these sources for an answer, be sure to not it for your future reference.
1. What type and size (hp) engine does the Diamond Star have?
2. How are the control surfaces connected to the pedals and stick?
3. What controls the nose wheel steering?
4. What is the purpose of the alternate static air valve and where is it located?
5. What is the purpose of the alternate air valve and where is it located?
6. When should the auxiliary fuel pump be used:
7. What are the fuel selector positions and how do you turn it to “Off”:
8. How many fuel drains are there and where are they located:
9. Does this airplane have a fire extinguisher and, if so, where is it located:
10.Provide the following information found in the POH regarding fuel and oil:
Total Fuel Capacity: ____ Gals Usable Fuel: ____ Gals
Maximum permissible fuel imbalance: ____ gals
Grade of Fuel: ____ Color of Fuel: ____
Oil Capacity: ____ Minimum Oil: ____
Type & Weight of Oil: ____
11. If an engine indication on the G1000 is flashing, it indicates:
12. If the “START” annunciator is illuminated after engine start, it indicates:
13. What are the following instruments powered by: Pneumatic (Vacuum or Pressure), Pitot-Static, Electric, etc.
a) Standby Attitude Indicator: ________
b) Standby Altimeter Indicator: ________
c) Standby Airspeed Indicator: ________
14. What is the normal system voltage?
15. How many batteries does the airplane have and what do they power?
16. What is the ESS Bus Switch and when do you use it?
17. What is an easy way to determine which systems the ESS Bus powers?
18. Can the starter be engaged with the Essential Bus Switch on?
19. How would an alternator malfunction be indicated?
20. What is the corrective action for alternator failure?
21. How long does the emergency standby battery last? Note: DO NOT BREAK COPPER TIES UNLESS AN ACUTAL EMERGENCY ARISES
22. What is the corrective action for low voltage warning light?
23. How should the throttle and propeller be adjusted shortly after takeoff?
24. The rear canopy must have the release handle lock engaged for takeoff?
True / False
25. The rear canopy may be opened in flight, e.g., for cooling or for photos?
True / False
26. What are all the different ways the autopilot can be disengaged?
27. For this airplane, what’s the maximum continuous power setting?
28. What’s the wing span and when might this present a problem?
29. Provide the following information for this airplane:
Maximum Takeoff Weight _______ Useful Load ________
Maximum Landing Weight _______ Empty Weight ________
30. How much weight can you put in the baggage compartment?
VY Takeoff Flaps
Cruise Climb Flaps Up
Normal Landing Landing Flaps
Minimum Landing Landing Flaps
Maximum Crosswind Component
31. What is the takeoff distance to clear a 50 foot obstacle on a standard day?
32. What is the landing distance to clear a 50 foot obstacle on a standard day?
33. What procedures should be used to adjust the RPM and Manifold pressure indications in the following configurations:
Takeoff Climb: _______________________________________________
Cruise Climb: _______________________________________________
Traffic Pattern: _______________________________________________