DCPS Internal Teacher Transfer Process
DC Public Schools is interested in keeping its best teachers in its schools. The Teacher Recruitment and Selection team is here to help navigate the internal transfer process, which is a quick and easy process for current teachers. Please consider the following before completing an internal transfer application:
- Through this process, there is no guarantee of confidentiality, as all DCPS teachers who apply to the internal transfer portal will be visible to all school-based hiring teams.
- Speak with your current school leader if you are planning to pursue a transfer during this hiring season in order to be as transparent as possible about your intentions and to give as much notice as possible for your principal to find a replacement.
- Hiring decisions will be made at the discretion of school leaders, and you are not guaranteed another role in DCPS. It is encouraged you to be proactive in reaching out to principals about their vacancies early in the hiring season.
Steps for completing the internal transfer application
- Visit https://dcps.secure.force.com/ and select “Teacher” from the list.
- NOTE: Ensure you select the correct School Year application as there may be multiple options.
- Log in or register using your k12.dc.gov email address. You must use this email to complete the application.
- Upload your updated resume and any other relevant documents.
- Complete all pre-application questions, including whether you are a Novice or Experienced teacher.
- You will then be redirected to the Transfer Application. Complete all sections (Contact, Info, Demographics, Subject Area, Licensure, Submit). A check mark will appear next to each section upon completion.
- Please note that you do not need to upload proof of verification (e.g., Praxis score reports and OSSE credential) for the licensure questions.
- If you are prompted to complete the essay questions please enter ‘I am a current DCPS teacher.’
- Fill out the Acknowledgement page and submit.
- From here, your application will automatically bypass the external teacher screening, and you will be moved to the Recommended Pool. Once in the Recommended Pool, you will be asked to complete a teacher preference survey. At this point, you will be able to see a list of vacancies once they are posted, apply to any vacancy of interest, and register for upcoming hiring fairs.
Existing TLI Teacher Leaders interested in remaining within the same content area
If you are remaining within the same content area, and have already passed the content assessment for this subject area, you will not need to take it again. Once you submit your application, you will be automatically pushed to the TLI Teacher Leader Recommended Pool, in addition to the Teacher Recommended Pool.
Interested in becoming a TLI Teacher Leader in a different content area?
If you are switching your content area for the TLI role, you will need to take the content assessment for that subject area. Make sure to input the accurate subject area in either the primary or secondary subject area preference for which you want to take the content assessment. Once you submit your application, you will receive an email to take the content assessment based on the subject area preferences you input in the application. For any content assessment you pass, you will be moved to the TLI Teacher Leader Recommended Pool.
For questions about the transfer process or TLI role, please reach out to the Teacher Recruitment and Selection team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1200 First Street, NE | Washington, DC 20002 | T 202.442.5026 | F 202.442.5031 | www.dcps.dc.gov