General Body Meeting

11/05/2017

9:00PM 6th Floor Van Pelt

  1. Roll Call
  2. Open Forum
  3. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Joint NEC Sunset Bylaw Amendment
  2. City 6 Conference
  1. Vice President’s Report
  1. Upcoming UA Steering
  2. University Council
  3. Group Meetings
  1. IFC, PanHellenic Council, Latinx Coalition
  1. UA Report
  1. Educational Moment of the Week: PSG Branches
  2. Midterm Review Week
  3. Member of the Week
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  1. SAC Elections
  1. Secretary’s Report
  1. Penn Labs Update
  2. UA Headshots
  3. Airport Shuttles Committee Update
  1. Discussion Papers
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. Staff Appreciation
  1. Student Life
  1. Hazing on Campus
  1. Dining Sustainability and Facilities
  1. Mental Health on Campus
  1. Project Updates
  1. Dining, Sustainability and Facilities
  1. Student Rec Center
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. Mental Health Resources in Syllabi
  1. Social Justice
  1. First Generation Low Income (FGLI) Guide and PennCAP Project
  2. PennCAP Project
  3. International Student Buddy System
  4. International Student Guide
  1. Student Life
  1. Housing Guide
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Dining, Sustainability and Facilities
  1. Lobby Restroom in Stiteler Hall
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. Hand Sanitizers in the Quad
  2. SAS Sector Expansion Project
  1. External Seats
  1. Legal Services Update
  1. Communications


Reports


President’s Report

  1. Joint NEC Sunset Bylaw Amendment
  1. The sunset clause in the joint UA/NEC bylaws will be expiring January 1, 2018. We are proposing to amend Bylaw 37 to:

37. All of the following provisions relating to the qualifications for candidacy herein contained shall expire on January 1, 2022.

Qualifications for Candidacy

33. In accordance with UA Const. s.18(a), the UA and the NEC determine requirements for candidacy for President and Vice-President by “joint regulation”.

34. Under joint regulation, the UA and the NEC possess equal legislative initiative. The NEC maintains, under their own rules, a set of regulations identical in content to this Section. Either the UA or the NEC may approve changes to these regulations that shall subsequently be sent to the other authority for approval or disapproval. Only those changes approved by both bodies shall be valid; only then shall this Bylaw and the NEC’s copy of the regulations be changed.

35. To be eligible to run, a Presidential candidate must submit a petition:

a. signed by 5% of the total number of undergraduate electors, OR

b. signed by 3% of the total number of undergraduate electors and at least 5 sitting members of the UA, including one member from a constituency other than that of the candidate.

36. To be eligible to run, a Vice-Presidential candidate must submit a petition:

a. signed by 5% of the total number of undergraduate electors, OR

b. signed by 3% of the total number of undergraduate electors and representatives of at least 5 sitting groups of UA Steering, who must file their signatures separately with the NEC.

37. All of the following provisions relating to the qualifications for candidacy herein contained shall expire on January 1, 2018.

38. The NEC shall certify the submission of petitions for the purpose of candidacy. 6

39. Presidential and Vice-Presidential candidates may request an Executive Information Session (EIS).

a. The EIS, if requested, shall be held between the time petitions are released and the time they are due.The principal organizers should attempt as much as possible to accommodate all sincere candidates.

b. The EIS shall be run by the NEC, and include the Speaker, the President and the Vice-President if they shall not be candidates for an executive office. It shall include an exhaustive overview of the duties of the President and Vice-President, in law and in fact, and substantial opportunity for candidates to interact with members of student government.

  1. City 6 Conference
  1. On Sunday, November 12, UA Exec will be hosting the City 6 Conference (formerly known as Philly 5) with the other five schools’ Presidents and Vice Presidents attending.  The other schools include Saint Joseph’s University, Drexel University, La Salle University, Villanova University, and Temple University.  The purpose of this meeting will be to foster collaboration and discussion between our schools and move forward with a more codified vision for the purpose of City 6.

Vice-President’s Report

  1. UA Steering
  1. UA Steering will take place this Tuesday from 7:30-8:30 PM in Huntsman F55. Our guests will be EVP Craig Carnaroli, Assistant VP Tony Sorrentino, and Associate Vice Provost of Student Life Karu Kozuma.
  1. University Council
  1. For the past several years, the undergraduate delegation for UC has tried unsuccessfully to increase the representation of undergraduates on the council. This year the delegation has similar intents and after a meeting on Wednesday, we decided on a proposal to increase the undergraduate seats by 3 seats. For this to pass, it must be get passed at UC Steering and then at University Council.
  2. The next University Council is December 6th. As it is an Open Forum meeting, any student or organization can bring up issues that they feel need to be addressed. Please let me know and I can help you with this.
  1. UA Steering- Group Meetings
  1. This past week I met with Panhellenic Council, Interfraternity Council and Latinx Coalition to discuss their organization’s goals for the upcoming year and what we can do to help them.

UA Report

  1. Educational Moment of the Week: PSG Branches
  1. UA
  2. CB
  3. NEC
  4. SAC
  5. SCUE
  6. SPEC
  1. Midterm Review Week
  1. Midterm Review Week will be taking place the week of November 12. We will be asking for feedback on committee directors and Exec, as well as working with Cabinet to provide feedback to everyone in the UA.
  1. Member of the Week
  1. This week’s member of the week is...

Treasurer’s Report

  1. SAC Elections
  1. This past Thursday The Student Activities Council elected their Super Executive Board that consists of the Chair, Vice Chair, and Communications Director.
  1. Chair: Michael Krone
  2. Vice Chair: Nikita Sood
  3. Communications Director: Emily Su
  1. The Next SAC Elections will take place in the Spring Semester

Secretary’s Report

  1. Penn Labs Update
  1. For those of you who do not know, Penn Labs is a UA funded group on campus that works on technological based projects. Currently Penn Labs is working on improving Penn Mobile to ensure it does not crash. Penn Labs is also focusing on integrating study room booking into this app. They are also in works of creating a platform known as Penn Central which will hopefully serve as a dashboard for their other services.
  1. UA Headshots
  1. We will be having UA Headshots at 12:00 PM on Sunday, November 19th at Perelman Quad.
  1. Airport Shuttles Committee Update
  1. Dates and Times:
  1. Tuesday, November 21st 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM
  2. Wednesday, November 22nd 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM
  1. Sales
  1. 1 ticket = $3.00
  2. Vendor: TicketLeap (https://airport-shuttles.ticketleap.com/ua-thanksgiving-airport-shuttles/)
  3. Sales begin November 12th online
  1. Advertising
  1. Cover photos
  2. Facebook Advertising
  3. Booth on Locust Walk
  1. Attendance
  1. 0.5 committee points for advertising
  2. 0.5 committee points for working shuttle shift

Discussion Papers


Academic Initiatives

Staff Appreciation

Authored by: Kristen Ukeomah and George Yang

We want to create a staff appreciation week as well as a separate SRFS and Academic Advisor appreciation week.

 

General Ideas:

 

Staff Appreciation Week: Security, Dining, Cleaning

 

SFRS and Academic Advisor Appreciation Week

 

Discussion Questions:

  1. How do we encourage student buy in to this?
  2. What do you think of each of these ideas?
  3. What would be high impact and low effort, but not too effortless?

Student Life

Hazing on Campus

Authored by: Nicholas Parkes

Hazing is an issue that has pervaded Penn for a long time. Many Greek organizations, clubs, and student groups haze as a form of initiation for new members. The Office of Student Affairs defines hazing as any action or situation which recklessly endangers the mental or physical health of a student. Penn’s culture of hazing is often a source of stress and difficulty for underclassmen and is one of the root causes of mental health issues on campus. The UA puts a lot of emphasis on mental health, so it’s important that we deal with this issue.

The justification for hazing is often twofold. Some say, “I had to do it, so you have to do it too.” Certain hazing activities are traditions or trials that a person must go through before they can be accepted into a group. Other groups justify it by claiming that it will bring the younger class closer together. The issue is: it works.

I had a meeting with Katie Bonner to discuss some of the issues associated with hazing and what solutions we could implement to make it less prevalent at Penn. She said that she wants to expand Penn’s website on hazing, https://www.vpul.upenn.edu/osa/hazing.php by including resources for students in clubs that haze to change the way that their organization initiates new members. Also, she expressed interest in facilitating discussions with leaders of groups such as clubs, sports teams, and Greek organizations.

Discussion Questions:

1)     What activities can organizations (Greek life, sports teams, clubs, etc.) do to initiate new members that can facilitate group bonding and maintain a sense of tradition while not jeopardizing students’ mental health?

2)     What would be the best way to organize a group discussion with leaders of campus organizations that are likely to haze new members?

Dining Sustainability and Facilities

Mental Health on Campus

Authored by: Kanishka Rao, Jason Kim, Anthony Scarpone-Lambert

Every week there is a new mental health initiative on campus. Even the three of us have independently wanted to start new projects this year to tackle mental health on campus. Additionally, the number of groups that recognize the problem and want to tackle it is increasing every year; through the course of pursuing our projects, we have been in touch with Penn Wellness, Active Minds, Weingarten, cultural houses, Class Boards, and many more decentralized groups. Initial conversations with classmates indicate that they are becoming desensitized to mental health as they get inundated with new events.

Our goal today is to understand if different groups pushing out new events and initiatives independently is really the best way to tackle the issue. Should there be more centralization under an umbrella group? Or rather than continue to treat the symptoms like stress and depression, can and should we mobilize to tackle the underlying causes?

Discussion Questions:

1. Do you think there independent events are helping the student body?

2. Do you think the vast number of them is detracting from the message?

3. Should we try to mobilize student leaders together to fight the underlying causes of the issue? If so, under whom and in what fashion?

4. What do you think the underlying causes of distress on campus are?


Project Updates


Dining Sustainability and Facilities

Student Rec Center

Authored by: Kanishka Rao

I want to create a place on campus for students to meet each other and hang out late night without going out. I proposed the idea to Katie Bonner in OSA and she was optimistic about the possibility of making Houston Hall a true student center. Historically, the problem has been who will organize the programming and schedule group performances and events in the space. I reached out to the Senior Class Board and they expressed interest in Class Board taking on the mandate to manage this going forward. Possibilities could include an acapella group host karaoke night, ping pong tables and tournaments, lots of board games for signout from the main desk, movie nights, and more. Next steps include meeting with Katie to schedule a pilot, and determining what programming is desired.

Academic Initiatives

Mental Health Resources in Syllabi

Authored by: Simon Miller

 

At the end of last semester, the mental health syllabus proposition passed through the Faculty Senate, recommending professors to include mental health resource on their syllabi. However, while this has caused some professor to include them, most professors have not. To help hasten the process, I collected the contact information of the professors of some of the largest intro classes at Penn to ask them to present the mental health resources for a few minutes at the beginning of class. On Friday, I met with Bruce Lenthall and Cathy Turner from the Center for Teaching and Learning to discuss including mental health resources as a section in their syllabus creation guide as well as in new professor training. I am also working with Julianne and Rob Nelson to reach out to the Mental Health Wellness Ambassadors within each department to discuss reaching out to professors to better include and present the mental health resources to as many students as possible.

Social Justice

First Generation Low Income (FGLI) Guide

Authored by: Santosh Nori, Jude Dartey, Mercedes Owens

 

I have been working on a project to help new First Generation Low Income (FGLI) students (i.e. transfer and freshmen) adapt to campus life when they first get to Penn. I am looking to create a FGLI guide for students that would be distributed via listservs and physical copies to new students before/as soon as they get to campus. This guide would include sections pertaining to housing, dining, financial aid, student life, etc. that students can read to get an idea of what to expect from Penn and how to navigate Penn successfully despite any disadvantaged background.

 

PennCAP Project

Authored By: Santosh Nori, Jude Dartey, Mercedes Owens

I have been in touch with PennFIRST and the PennCAP program, both of whom are very supportive of the idea and excited to collaborate. So far, both have provided me with helpful information to put into this guide regarding financial aid and student life. I recently met with the director of PennCAP (Pamela Edwards) to discuss how the PennCAP program works and how we might be able to allow more FGLI students to participate in the program (as per the request of PennFIRST), because there is currently a cap on how many people they invite and accept. She informed me that funding for PennCAP is the main barrier to taking on more students, and that funding comes from VPUL. A next step for this project would be to meet with relevant people at VPUL to talk about PennCAP funding, and include any information they may have in the guide as well. In the meantime, I am also working with Jordan to create a housing infographic to help FGLI students seek out cheaper housing options on/off campus.

 

International Student Buddy System

Authored by: Maher Abdel Samad

 

I’ve been working with the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) on International Student integration. Many international Students struggle during their first year at Penn, especially students from countries with a largely different culture than that of the US. Because of that, many international students end up only being friends with other internationals, as their shared experience of being foreigners connects them. We’re thinking of a Buddy System project in which international students are paired with American Students. Programming will be available to them (watching a football game together, getting cheesesteaks, etc…) right after or during NSO. For a long time, this has been logistically impossible because the ISSS cannot get American students’ names and emails from the admissions office before the semester starts. Therefore, students could never be paired up. However, we found a way around that by advertising this program with the pre-orientation programs. We hope to work with VPUL to potentially add this project to their list of programs and so all willing freshmen can sign up for it.

 

International Student Guide

Authored by: Maher Abdel Samad

 

Many international students arrive on campus with little to no information about important matters. Everything from getting a phone number to applying for internships and an SSN. Some students like myself had the chance of having someone they know go to Penn (or an urban American university). This allows them to ask for the tips and tricks of having a smooth transition to the US and Penn. However, a lot of students don’t have that chance. To solve this, I suggested having an “International Student Guide” similar to the FGLI student guide. This guide would include all the relevant information many organizations such as the ISSS, AIS and ISAB wants to push to Freshmen. It’s worth noting that this information is mostly already available in different places: (AIS’s website, upenn, Penn Global’s website, the ISSS newsletter and emails), but it would be very helpful to aggregate this information in a concise and well-designed guide and present it to International Incoming Freshmen during their first check in with ISSS (when they request /receive their I-20/DS2019).

Student Life

Housing Guide

Authored by: Max Grove

 

I recently finished putting together information on an off-housing guide. The information includes various dates one should keep in mind when looking for housing, different landlords across campus, useful websites, how to pay a deposit, and different types of housing. I will be sending it to FRES to see if there is anything they think should be added to it.

 


Completion Reports


Dining Sustainability and Facilities

Lobby Restroom in Stiteler Hall

Authored by: Arjun Swaminathan

 

Recently, it came to my attention that numerous students felt that a lack of accessibility to the lobby restroom in Stiteler Hall was an inconvenience. The bathroom is locked and requires a code to be opened. I reached out to Antoinette Bomento, the Stiteler Hall Building Manager, regarding the situation, with the goal of either removing the lock or providing the code to students who take courses within the building. However, according to Ms. Bomento, the lobby restroom is intended for handicapped access only, and that students should go down the stairs across B6 in order to utilize a restroom. Based on this feedback, this project will no longer be pursued.

Academic Initiatives

Hand Sanitizers in the Quad

Authored by: Sravya Alla

I have been collaborating with Kyle to bring hand sanitizer stations in the Quad. Director of First Year Houses & Paraprofessional Training Dr. Kahiler has recently agreed to pilot the program in a location in the Quad. We sent them our top three locations in Ware (4th floor Butcher, Morris-Bodine Lounge in Ware, and 2nd floor Butcher), and they will be installing the sanitizers very soon. Based on the feedback and the usage of the hand sanitizers, they will install the sanitizers in other locations in the Quad, continuing the Purell at Penn initiative from the previous year. Hopefully, we can bring this initiative to other college dorms including Kings Court English House.

 

SAS Sector Expansion Project

Authored by: Ariela Stein

After having a meeting with Assistant Dean Peterman, I realized this project was not feasible. The administration feels very strongly about the amount of classes they choose to count for sectors. They have specific requirements for which classes become sectors. The first requirement is for the course to “bring the student from the ground up.” The second requirement is for the student to “think in the of the sector.” Another reason why Dean Peterman was very adamant on changing or amending the system was because most professors have given positive feedback on the system. Therefore, I will no longer be pursuing this project. However, I am working to increase the transparency of the system with Dean Peterman and possibly have an article about it in the DP.


External Seats


Legal Services Update

Authored by: Elena Hoffman

This past Thursday, November 2nd, the UA-appointed attorney held meetings with two different students. The attorney comes down roughly once a month, so please spread the word of this *free* service to all your friends to ensure they are taking advantage of the opportunity to consult legal issues with a lawyer.


Minutes


  1. Roll Call
  1. AMs Present
  2. Anthony SL
  3. Ammar Bawa
  4. Mary Bready
  5. Grace Kim
  6. Jess Andrews
  7. Kristen
  1. Open Forum
  1. Kyle: I am meeting with Penn Lampitt. We will be talking about a variety of topics. If you have any topics let me know.
  2. Jay: if you could bring up food over winter break that would be good
  3. Julianne: Great job exec for social events
  4. Natasha: Look at Steering Projects
  1. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Joint NEC Sunset Bylaw Amendment
  1. Michelle: Sunset Clause expires on January 1st 2018. The bylaws outline qualifications for candidacy. Number 37 says that things expire. We are proposing to amend the bylaw for January 21st 2022. We want to make sure both of our bodies are constantly checking bylaws
  2. Maher: Basically all this would do is extend and not change anything.
  3. Jordan: I think this is a good bylaw and we should continue it.
  4. Kanishka: Is four years a standard thing?
  5. Michelle: We did four years because we think it is an appropriate amount of time.
  1. City 6 Conference
  1. Michelle: On November 12th the UA exec will meet with the other philadelphia student governments. We will talk about issues that pertain to all of our schools
  1. Vice President’s Report
  1. Upcoming UA Steering
  1. Jay: It will take place this Tuesday 7:30 to 8:30. Our administrators will be EVP Carnaroli. I strongly recommend you come to this meeting. He manages budget, finance, investment, business services which oversees dining and housing. We will talk about mental health and how we can use dining and housing to build community.
  1. University Council
  1. Jay: In the past eh undergraduate delegation has tried to increase representation. We will ask for an increase in seats in general. We met wednesday and have decided to increase by 3 seats. The rationale is that the seats are allocated by UA and NEC. I emt with chair of faculty senate and has to be sent by one month in advance. It must go through UC Steering and passed through the council. I will do whatever I can do to make it happen.
  2. Nile: For the three seats would they be given to us?
  3. Jay: It would be given to the NEC
  4. Kaniashka: Isn’t the difficulty that there is never quorum?
  5. Jay: That is, but the other issues include UC Steering
  6. Next UC Steering will be held soon.
  1. Group Meetings
  1. IFC, PanHellenic Council, Latinx Coalition
  1. Jay: I met with all of these groups. We talked with LatinX about the University being more transparent about resources. With panhellenic council we talked about changing status of greek life at Penn. It was a similar discussion with IFC as well.
  1. UA Report
  1. Educational Moment of the Week: PSG Branches
  1. Max: UA is lobbying branch of student government
  2. Elena: SAC is student activities council and allocates budget to student groups on campus
  3. Ben: The NEC ensures that elections are fair
  4. SPEC Plans concerts and brings speakers to campus
  5. Nile: NEC educates student body
  6. Sravya: Work on improving education and advising
  7. Kanishka: Class board upholds penn traditions
  1. Midterm Review Week
  1. On the week of November 12th we will be asking for feedback.
  1. Member of the Week is Kevin
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  1. SAC Elections
  1. Sam: SAC had their elections. The new chair is Michael Krone. The next SAC elections will be next semester. Super exec is executive board of SAC. SAC elects their 8 members.
  2. Kaniashka: Why should we not be afraid of Krone’s time commitment?
  3. Sam: The SAC chair has as much time commitment as I do.
  4. Michelle: The communications director of SAC does a lot of the work. And Krone was the communications chair. Most of the Speaker’s duties are in the beginning of the year.
  1. Secretary’s Report
  1. Penn Labs Update
  1. They are working on: updating PCR, improving Penn Mobile app (trying to integrate study spaces, also Penn Central. This last part will showcase everything they are working on.
  2. Maria- I have concerns. I would like a better communication. How do they go about working on these new things?
  1. Brian- They had planned a lot of the projects over the summer. It is tough to make them switch direction.
  1. Samara- As they take on more projects that are not sustaining, does that take away from other things?
  1. They haven’t expressed any need yet. There have been some budget concerns.
  2. Sam S- They brought up how they were going to run out of money for server.
  3. Samara- I think we should talk for Penn Central.
  1. Michelle- I want to caution us to not think of Penn Labs as under us.
  2. Natasha- It already has study room bookings. I think it would be nice if they could come in once and talk to us.
  3. Nile- To address Maria's point, Penn Labs was run like a shop but now they are all on wages. I think we should bring them in to assess the business model as well.
  1. UA Headshots
  1. We decided that we will be holding headshots at noon on Sunday November 19. We will meet outside of Houston. Wear whatever you want.
  1. Airport Shuttles Committee Update
  1. Jude- Last Tuesday, we met with Penn Transit to talk about the logistics. They will run on the dates and times that are listed in the report. The maximum seats on the bus is 43 seats.
  2. Will- Tickets will be $3. We will be switching to TicketLeap and sales begin November 12. I put together the sheets for us to sign up on so I will send that out. There are 2 sheets. One is an advertising sheet and the other for sign ups.
  3. Sravya- Advertising is very important. I created the cover picture for it. You also get committee points for that. We will also be advertising with a table on Locust Walk.
  4. Jude- We have $300. We decided that flyers were not the most effective ways so we will do quarter sheets. I will be reaching out to the house deans regarding that.
  5. Brian-This does count for committee attendance. Half of the attendance is for advertising and the other half is for the shift. Please let me know if you have any questions.
  6. Questions;
  1. Julianne- Make sure the slots are half hours. Also use facebook promotion ads
  2. Samara- I would say a permanent stand would be a good investment.
  3. Jude/Sravya- We also talked about balloons
  1. Samara- I would caution against those because they are not permanent
  1. Anthony- What are the points
  1. Brian-They count for attendance.
  1. Natasha- I am pretty sure the slips are not legal
  2. Simon- Suggestion: Use facebook
  3. Will- What do you all think about the booth on Locust? I will make a spreadsheet for that
  1. Jordan- Maybe they could buy their tickets from the table
  1. Sahithya- You can buy with card online.
  2. Michael- Is there an additional charge
  1. Brian- There is not
  1. Jordan- It got a little messy last year with venmo because people were paying at last minute last year.
  2. Julianne- I think Venmo would be a good option for the day of. Maybe increase the price the day of.
  1. Brian- We thought of Venmo but an online domain is better
  1. Jason- What will the money fund?
  1. Krone- Internal operations
  1. Discussion Papers
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. Staff Appreciation
  1. George: Kristen and I started working on how we can appreciate our staff. We are thinking of planning a staff appreciation week. We just want general input
  2. Kristen: i was envisioning the security personnel.
  3. Kyle: I think going back to the dining ideas might not work. A poster campaign might be more feasible
  4. Sahitya: How would it work for students working in the kitchen. We would get a small gifts
  5. George: I thought it would be good to get them fruit
  6. Jordan: I think the best ideas are the ones that don’t involve monetary contribution. I think the thank you cards have been useful. In regards to dinner serving, I think a reception would be a good idea.
  7. Kristen: At the end of the staff appreciation week there would be some reception/dinner
  8. Natasha: I think the kite and key idea is a great idea. I think a campaign to advertise about the student body. Now many of the staff have a name tag for the number of years they have been working. Having students interacting more with them.
  9. Samara: That might be a different thing than staff appreciation. The kite and key idea is awesome. If there is anything monetary find a way to pay for it would be massive. Defining who is staff is difficult. There will be a bunch of people who might not be seen.
  10. Kyle: I cited the contractual reasons about not getting students, but there are many other reasons.
  11. Sravya: I like the idea of the jar. What are the logistics?
  12. George: We could have different booths and have a jar for people to add advice. If we concerned about students writing negative comments we could have them fill it out in a google form
  13. Maher: Class Board attempted to have an appreciation each week. We discovered that it is difficult because some of them can’t disclose personal information due to their contracts. You have to look into their contracts and determine what goes into it.
  14. Natasha: As long as you have an open conversation with Pam you should be fine
  15. Ben: Would that be for security guards?
  16. Maher: No just dining halls
  17. Anthony: I am not sure if Kite and Key would be the most feasible. I think it would be best for the student body.
  18. Jay: I think the less work required the more involvement would be better. I would encourage you reaching out to class board. I like the card idea. We always talk about communication between admins and students and the issues. Maybe you could get anonymous quotes from staff about students. In terms of events about dinner, I would encourage you to partner with the department. If you have student coordinating it it would be very difficult.
  19. Julianne: I think potentially doing a DP article about the staff could be interesting. Another cool idea could be interviewing the staff in a video. Videos of people doing something nice for the staff could be nice.
  20. Mercedes: Did you think about partnering with other branches of student government. Maybe assigning each branch a different staff
  21. Sam: Dining you should talk with Kyle. Security will be DPS. Cleaning will be with FRES. Houston Hall could include Perelman quad. SRFS you could reach out to Max
  22. Natasha: The DP article would be a good idea.
  1. Student Life
  1. Hazing on Campus
  1. Nick: I think this is shockingly prevalent. I met with Katie Bonner to discuss what we could do to decrease hazing. Have resources for students in clubs that haze. If those students want to decrease hazing we would have resources on the website. We also considered talking with different group leaders.
  2. Maher: You mention the activities that have positive effects of hazing but not negative effects
  3. Elena: I know some groups that do initiation processes, and some groups have mandatory study hours. They will book GSR and require people to be there. Panhellenic has some strict rules against hazing. Maybe reaching out to groups that have control over smaller branches. Maybe talk with IFC to see what their policies are on hazing.
  4. Jordan: I think that some of the vagueness is that we generally have an idea of what groups do it. I think it would be a good idea to reach out to different leaders and invite them to focus groups. I have heard sentiments that people felt they got closer. I think it would be beneficial for people to hear about others’ experiences and see how they felt as a result. I feel like if you got groups on your side that would help you. It would be difficult to have a culture shift
  5. Jason: I would encourage you to reach out to religious organizations. I think the discussion should be off the record.
  6. Sravya: The hazing video was very effective. I would push that video out.
  7. Samara: I would be careful about calling out groups. Groups feel singles out when meeting with people. I don’t think you should meet with administrators.
  8. Sahitya: To answer your first question, one thing I did was a dance and a retreat. Not many groups will want to do a hike. I think the best way to start changing something is through freshmen. Making freshmen know they don’t have to be treated this way.
  9. Will: Penn has rules against hazing that are not enforced. In University of Nebraska if there is a hazing allegation they take that very seriously. My neighbor was imprisoned for hazing. I think more aggressive change.
  10. George: My house cooks together. We have two members cook each week. One person gives life story during dinner. We play board games.
  11. Noah: Something at Penn I have been fascinated with was why groups do hazing. I think it would be important why fraternities do hazing for what goal. I do not believe hazing is the best way of getting closer.
  12. Max: I think it is important to keep in mind that groups only have four year members. I think many groups do not know how to do it. Everyone at retreat became very close with activities
  13. Natasha: I think this is a very big issue that is not talked about enough. Many students lighten their schedule because they have to deal with pledging. Maybe a survey could be useful to name organizations in an anonymous form. Making everything optional.
  14. Simon: I think instead of a scavenger hunt you explore the city and make it more productive style event. Instead of someone being controlled.
  15. Arjun: Some frats go to Pottruck. My two worst nights at Penn have been related to hazing events
  16. Ben: I don’t think persecution would be best. I would reiterate that study event is important. Less wholesome events would be bad
  17. Julianne: During the admin meetings. The task force made recommendations about hazing. The reason why this is a tough issue is because a lot of the hazing is kept secret. It will be difficult to change culture.
  18. Jay: Thank you for bringing it up. Find groups that do it well and use them to create change. Use DP to spotlight these organizations so Freshmen look at these organizations to see what to join. Administrators should have less role. Most effective change would be students. The most effective way would be breaking up by category of student group. The video was very impactful and should be expanded. Looking at different retreats and asking leaders what they have done.
  19. Michelle: Regarding recommendations it is a draft.  I  think a really good resource is table talk and see if they can organize an event. PSG Steering is branch heads of PSG. It was a productive discussion.
  20. Maher: I just wanted to say is that you need to make sure groups know that hazing should not be happening. I thought they meant the same thing. Hazing is demeaning the freshmen. I personally like the class board initiation. They ensured us that it was optional and we were all aware that we did not have to do all of it.
  21. Kyle: I want to stress that we need multiple leaders to change things in their groups. You should push groups to not change drastically
  22. Ariela: I think that anytime there is an initiative of admins. I would recommend that this is done gradually.
  23. Michael: I believe organic bonding activities are a great way to know people. I think just spending time with people is useful. Incorporating hazing feedback with club recruitment feedback. On campus clubs have hazing and we can ask questions about hazing.
  24. Elena: I think that some people feel pride about the hazing. Even though there may be a desire to get away with hazing. I think an important thing to keep in mind, is to normalize the mentality that hazing is bad. I think Julianne brought up good point that many groups do this in secretive fashion. Students will feel more open without administrators. I think a great way is to have them attend events. If events are good, it's ok to be mandatory. I think that in terms of long term goals you should determine what is your goal.
  25. Nick: Change student culture and normalize that hazing is bad
  26. Kanishka: I think that some things are getting conflated. Productive hazing activities have been what university considers bad. Talking to people that have been through brutal hazing, they knew about it prior to joining. Many students are glad they went through the hazing. The time commitment is what brings people together in the organizations. I am having a hard time about seeing what people go through. I think you could find a balance. It's not just the legacy but also the enjoyment.
  27. Jess: I think even if you can’t get people to stop hazing, maybe just educating groups about student health.
  28. Sam: I think a really important person to talk to would be the Director of OFSL
  29. Delaney: I pledged for two and half months of a professional frat. We had mandatory events, but it was very fun. I was very close with these people. I will send you the number of my pledge chair.
  30. Samara: There are a lot of people that wanted to join groups but could not because of hazing process. I think it is about changing cultures. I don’t think enforcing rules is the best way to go about it. I think evenly enforcing rules would be better. All female groups are more likely to get in trouble for things like this. Certain groups are more susceptible. There is definitely hazing, but it is a grey area. Educating people and many groups have best intentions of their members and it is very tough to recognize where the line is and people may feel uncomfortable. Making sure the groups know what is too far.
  1. Dining Sustainability and Facilities
  1. Mental Health on Campus
  1. Anthony: Our discussion paper sprouted from the idea of focusing on mental health on campus. We met to discuss and realized that there were many initiatives that were covering such issues. There are mental health initiatives and it started a conversation about different groups doing similar things. These are very decentralized and it may be decreasing the impact. Would it be better to do a bigger project.
  2. Michelle: Ben Bolnick created Penn Wellness to centralize all mental health groups on campus. I think going the route we should work with Penn Wellness.
  3. Kanishka: Penn Wellness is currently working as a liaison. It still feels decentralized. There might be better ways to mobilize together to connect that
  4. Michelle: Jay made one UA Steering event regarding mental health. Maybe doing one that access one all student leaders.
  5. Maria: I think this is a good project regarding centralization. I think many students do not address the issue. I think it is students that need to take the initiative
  6. Kanishka: Do you think students coming together is the best way. It seems like the thing you should be addressing all the time.  Should we get a group together.
  7. Arjun: For number two I don’t think it is contracting the effect. I think there are many avenues including club recruitment and greek life. There is a lot of general stress including job search. I think just talking about it and being open about it. Many students attempt to tie everything together
  8. Anthony: I was going for the Penn Faces resilience projects. I completely agree that some people do not want to admit to others about stress.
  9. Natasha: Since Steering did have discussion look at projects. Address symptoms. I think we should continue these initiatives because they reach different people. I think looking at other schools and see how they tackle these issues. Researching past projects and see how to move forward
  10. Kanishka: What do you mean by research?
  11. Natasha: Research about past mental health projects in Penn and other schools.
  12. Brian: SHS and CAPS
  13. Jordan: I feel like we conflate mental health and wellness a lot. We cannot address both issues with these events. We cannot treat depression. I feel like we have a quality problem. I feel like talking about mental health is high, but the personalized nature is limited. I think you should try to do is see what they are doing in term so small groups. I think a campaign about what people did in high school and what they do now. I remember in campus conversation we talked about how it is okay to be average. It is not making people feel bad.
  14. Kanishka: To you and Natasha’s point do you think same things can be accomplished by having one big event?
  15. Jordan: I think one of the dangers would be that like campus conversation there would be very little student turnout. People are busy and more events allow students to attend the events
  16. Natasha: I meant that some different mental wellness groups focus on different aspects
  17. Jason: We want to focus on practical implications
  18. Ben: When I came here it was a cultural shock. Everyone was a valedictorian. In the classroom everyone is competing with each other. The issue is that students do not want to act like they need help. The open forums to discuss things in SAc and other student groups. If this is something that could be discussed with student groups
  19. Kanishka: Anthony mentioned that this started with different ideas
  20. Anthony: I wanted to deal with rejection. I have talked with many freshmen that did not feel that they were good enough. There had to be something that supports freshmen. I found that this was similar to Penn Face.
  21. Jason: I think it is good to pinpoint the issues. Things we should implement
  22. Kanishka: Our project was a facebook campaign for student leaders on campus. It would highlight deep insecurities of student leaders.
  23. George: Maybe instead of larger curve we could ask professors to be more lenient.
  24. Julianne: SCUE is working on Project about mental health syllabus
  25. Santosh: There is not enough unity between groups to tackle issues we mentioned. Set up umbrella group to change culture of these groups.
  26. Kev: I propose a reestablishment of the committee to address mental health and bring leaders across campus for people that  want to do projects. I think centralizing effort would be useful. I think standing committee could be effective
  27. Jason: I think that was the reason Penn Wellness was founded
  28. Kev: I do not know how Penn Wellness works
  29. Elena: One of the main issues is how important grades are. I think looking into how it could be easier to improve midterm schedule. Maybe determining better window for student exams. I want to look into how we could restructure reading days. We have the least amount of reading days as compared to other schools. How do we increase reading days and improve midterm season
  30. Sahitya: I don’t think creating new organization will solve the issue. I think we need to put it more on Penn Wellness. I think within in UA we should still elt other groups organize their events
  31. Jason: This platform for a centralized conversation already exists. How can we do the next step
  32. Sahitya: i think Penn Wellness needs to take charge of that
  33. Julianne: Simon and I had a good conversation about mental health with Center for Teaching and Learning. We need mental health resources in the classroom. We are working with CTL on how to improve mental health in classroom. Shaina is working on creating forum for the resources. Perception on getting resources. We should talk about the positives of these resources so people start using them.
  34. Samara: I think that the number of events does not matter, it just needs to be meaningful. I do not find social media campaigns effective. I believe that this starts with fact that we have great business school. The competitive nature. This should be discussed with career services. I don’t think there are enough resources
  35. Kanishka: I think that the pre-professional nature is tough. Many students do not want to change that
  36. Maria: We talked about pre-professional nature of Penn. I think this pre-professionalism starting with Freshmen and NSO talking about specific things could be useful. The campaign could be useful. Sahitya and I are on cohorts that were created to start a community. I enjoy cohorts. I am surprised the other schools do not have it. I think centralization is difference between money and people. I am not sure if it is an issue with money or not
  37. Simon: I agree with Julianne and we had an amazing meeting. I think stigma is a big issue. I think very good ways we can work on that is that on the UA we could get printing in CAPS. Small projects on UA can help us reach these resources. I think promoting resources we have could be useful.those peer resources are very important.
  38. Santosh: Penn Crushes potentially getting a Penn Insecurities page. Everyone comments supportive things.
  39. Elena: Potentially considering a new committee on mental health in UA
  40. Julianne: Timing is very important and hit people when they need it the most
  41. Jess: Kevin and I are working with CAPS during NSO.
  42. Ben: I read paper about physical implications of mental health
  43. Jess: They already do that at SHS
  1. Project Updates
  1. Dining, Sustainability and Facilities
  1. Student Rec Center
  1. Kanishka: I think it is weird that Penn does not have a rec center. Every spot on campus is a study spot. I talked to Houston Hall about student rec center. I think we could really benefit from study space. I spoke with building manager of Houston and about the potential programming. Hosting events could be fun and inviting.
  2. Ben: If you do that, I think the arcade would be nice
  3. Sahitya: I think rec center would include indoor facilities.
  4. Kanishka: Once you move off campus what can you do? It is similar to freshmen year
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. Mental Health Resources in Syllabi
  1. Simon: At the end of last semester, the mental health syllabus proposition passed through the Faculty Senate, recommending professors to include mental health resource on their syllabi. However, while this has caused some professor to include them, most professors have not. To help hasten the process, I collected the contact information of the professors of some of the largest intro classes at Penn to ask them to present the mental health resources for a few minutes at the beginning of class. I will bring up conversation to help student succeed. On Friday, I met with Bruce Lenthall and Cathy Turner from the Center for Teaching and Learning to discuss including mental health resources as a section in their syllabus creation guide as well as in new professor training. We are focusing getting it more on campus. We want to ensure it is not stigmatized.
  2. Samara: Faculty are also researchers and are not sure what their roles are. Faculty do not know if they should care about students are not. There might be a disconnect
  3. Julianne: Wellness Ambassadors is about a culture change. Wellness Ambassadors is run through Rob Nelson’s office.
  4. Simon: We discussed that some professors will jump on this. Some will not feel comfortable with this. I do believe personally that it can make a change.
  5. Kyle: Some professors do not see what students are going through. Professors have different role. Sometimes it's just for tenure
  6. Jess: It's not too hard to copy resources onto syllabi
  7. Jason: Make it customizable is okay
  8. Simon: It is easy to add a paragraph, but make it customizable could be useful
  9. Anthony: IN a class you have to send in wellness activity for the class. I think you might want to talk to her.
  1. Social Justice
  1. First Generation Low Income (FGLI) Guide
  1. Santosh: We wanted to focus on project for FGLI students. I thought it would be a good idea to create a guide for FGLI students. To help them navigate Penn. This started off as project for FGLI guide. We are working with Penn First
  2. Mercedes: The guide is for FGLI students and helps them. Many students who did not do that program are very overwhelmed
  3. Jay: Do you need any help getting information out there
  4. Santosh: If you know of any other organizations let us know
  5. Anthony: You would distribute it before student get to Penn?
  6. Santosh: One way would be distributing it before you get to Penn another way would be by distributing a physical flyer. If you think second guide would be beneficial we would be open to it
  7. Kristen: Would did it stem from?
  8. Santosh: It stemmed from one of my friends who had financial aid issues and was not aware of his options. When students would get refunds back from financial aid. It would include information on housing, dining and resources on campus
  9. Kristin: Many are Freshmen directed. Could you make it a newsletter for each semester.
  10. Santosh: Instead of guide potentially make newsletter
  11. Michelle: I think this is a really good idea
  12. Elena: I think that in regards to outreach many students do not want to identify with FGLI community. You could reach out to SFRS.
  13. Santosh: I think that is a good idea because people do not want to identify as FGLI
  14. Natasha: I think it would be better to be one guide as a point of reference.
  15. Jordan: It seems like it would have tons of information. But I think an online source would be useful. I think that could be added online and people always have way to access it and it can always be changed.
  16. Kristen: I think Penn also identifies first generation as students who had parents that did not attend same caliber school as Penn
  17. Anthony: I think PennCAP did well that it got people involved to reactivate the students
  1. PennCAP Project
  2. International Student Buddy System
  3. International Student Guide
  1. Student Life
  1. Housing Guide
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Dining, Sustainability and Facilities
  1. Lobby Restroom in Stiteler Hall
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. Hand Sanitizers in the Quad
  2. SAS Sector Expansion Project
  1. External Seats
  1. Legal Services Update
  1. Communications