Reference, Instruction, Outreach (RIO) Advisory Group
Description and Statement of Work
Return on Investment (ROI)
Because participation in the work of RIO is optional, ROI will vary from person to person. Each member of RIO will have the opportunity to attend one or more meetings per year, and can also serve on task forces.
- RIO Advisory Group Member
- Investment: RIO’s in-person meetings generally last 5-6 hours, and are designed for high engagement professional development. Each meeting includes time for sharing with colleagues and developing relationships, as well as times focused on specific areas of learning.
- Return: After attending a RIO meeting, participants should feel more connected to their PALNI RIO colleagues and better equipped for the work of reference, instruction and outreach.
- RIO Advisory Forum Member
- Investment: The RIO Advisory Forum will meet approximately 4 times a year for 1 hour to provide the Information Fluency Coordinators with strategic direction on projects and initiatives.
- Return: Opportunity to guide the work of RIO and contribute expertise and vision, while networking with peers.
- Investment: Each task force meets monthly for 1 hour and generally lasts about 6 months. Work for the task force varies by task force and level of involvement.
- Return: Opportunity to focus on specific areas of interest and/or expertise with colleagues across the state. Knowledge sharing across RIO/PALNI. Opportunity to apply for a RIO task force scholarship to support attendance at one conference tied to advancing a specific strategic goal.
- Return: RIO’s work provides tools and resources to all PALNI members regardless of involvement in RIO activities.
Goals of this Statement of Work
This statement of work defines the operational support provided by the RIO Advisory Group to PALNI supported institutions. The objectives of this statement of work are to:
- Articulate clear roles and responsibilities of the RIO Advisory Group.
- Provide a concise and clear description of the operational services and support provided.
- Ensure that expected service is delivered through measurable means.
- Communicate expectations for PALNI supported institutions.
RIO: Helping, Teaching, Welcoming
The RIO Advisory Group (RIO) provides resources and support to PALNI members working in reference, instruction, and outreach.
Anyone employed by a PALNI member school who is involved in reference, instruction, or outreach in their library is automatically considered a member of the RIO Advisory Group (RIO). Participation in RIO events and work is encouraged but optional.
Ongoing Responsibilities of RIO
- Review the statement of work annually or as necessary to address changes in staffing, expectations, or service needs.
- Perform action items, including those from the strategic plan and others that are identified.
- Actively collaborate with other PALNI groups.
Ongoing Local Responsibilities
- RIO’s resources and support are developed specifically for staff at PALNI member libraries. Institutions are responsible for implementing tools and services at a local level.
- Two day professional retreat held every other year.
- Instruction Curriculum Development
- Share ideas for information literacy instruction. Includes information literacy modules developed by PALNI.
- Instructional Peer Coaching
- Offers instruction librarians peer feedback on their instruction sessions.
- LibGuides Training and Support
- Provides support and training for PALNI schools who use the Springshare LibGuides platform.
- PALNI book club where articles are discussed.
- LibGuides of information and resources on applicable topics for RIO librarians.
- Including Suma (for Space Assessment).
- Short term teams focused on specific needs. Generally meet monthly.
- Traveling Outreach Materials: Button Makers, Prize Wheels, Escape Room Kit
- Collection of interactive items for PALNI libraries to borrow.
- Periodic virtual gatherings for connection and sharing of ideas.
- Held 2-5 times per year, either in-person or virtually.
- RIO provides the PALNI board and other stakeholders with updates about activities and support requests.
For More Information