James Ritson (BSc Hons) Media Production
Mobile 07877 662294
Website: http://www.jamesritson.co.uk (Portfolio of work)
De Montfort University, Leicester (2007-2010): High 2:1 BSc Hons Media Production degree.
Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School, Horncastle (2000-2007):
A2 Levels: English Literature (B), Media Studies (B) Theatre Arts (B). Also took English Advanced Extension Award.
AS Levels: English Literature (A), Media Studies (B), Theatre Arts (C)
GCSE: English Language (A), English Literature (B), Theatre Arts (A), French (A*), Science Double Award (C), Music (B), Mathematics (C), History (B), ICT Short Course (C)
- Affinity Educator at Serif Europe Ltd, Present - April 2016
- Role includes all responsibilities of previous Junior Technical Author position.
- Solely responsible for Affinity Photo video tutorial production, using own photography and source material.
- Providing training of Affinity products to both company staff and press/customers.
- Demonstrating Affinity software at conventions and shows, and providing technical support and knowledge to customers both in person and on Affinity forums.
- Taking technically accurate photographs to aid developers in production of new features for Affinity Photo, and providing feedback where required.
- Producing “Shooting” practical photography series, using video and photo production skills and knowledge.
- Writing front-end apps for sales/training purposes that allow quick loading of Affinity documents and access to tutorials.
- Supporting printed Affinity Photo training books with own photographic projects.
- Providing support and consultation where needed for QA and Technical Support teams.
- Maintaining Affinity TV app, encoding streamable video content using HLS and fMP4 technologies.
- Experience with version control and clients, e.g. Git with SourceTree/Tower.
- Junior Technical Author at Serif Europe Ltd, April 2016 - October 2014
- Writing technical documentation to support Serif software products; help documentation, online articles.
- Planning, recording and delivering professional video tutorials for Serif software products, including new “Affinity” suite of software.
- Writing apps to provide internal support for media encoding/automation.
- Cameraman and Video Editor at Teaching Art Ltd, October 2014 - June 2013
- Producing art-based DVDs, television advertisements, web clips and art programme “Splash of Paint”, broadcast on a weekly basis.
- Product and promotional photography, providing high quality images for both print and the web.
- Responsible for development of new “Video on Demand” site, from initial server set up to design, page wording and delivery of video content.
- Writing, recording and performing voiceover work for adverts and web clips.
- Developing web applications (PHP, SQL) used by warehouse staff for efficient and cost-effective product database management.
- Liaising with Marketing and external companies to effectively plan and deliver content such as finalised TV programmes, editorial and promotional content.
- Scripting adverts, television programmes and web clips, proofreading “Paint” magazine.
- Communicating with Online Marketing Coordinator to write and deliver media content for SAA website and social media sites.
- Responsible for broadcast compliance of television content: quick and efficient communication with IMD (media distributor) to ensure content is broadcast legal: includes audio treatment, correct video levels, accurate colour standards conversion.
- Specific skills for role include camera operating, photography, video editing, motion graphics design, video encoding, scripting, directing, audio capture and voice over work.
- Using creative skills to produce engaging content in a deadline-based environment. Accommodating quick turnarounds for multiple ongoing projects, managing and prioritising tasks.
- Proprietor of James Ritson Media, June 2013 - September 2010
- Producing media-based solutions for clients including promotional videos, product photography, website design, layout and print work, proof reading, VHS to DVD work, IT and Technical Support.
- Tourist Information Advisor at Woodhall Spa Cottage Museum and Tourist Information Centre, June 2013 - April 2011
- Working in local village tourist information centre, dealing with queries, keeping accounts up to date, ensuring adjacent Museum section runs smoothly.
- Director at Woodhall Spa Cottage Museum, November 2013 - April 2011
- Responsibility in how the Museum is run, manager of “media department”: video, photography, print and social media work, archiving and restoring video and film.
- Developing instructional guides for volunteers on using Wordpress, adding to and editing media databases, maintaining video playout systems.
- Founder and manager, programmer, level designer, sound designer for computer game mod group “Fraghouse”, 2007 - 2000
- Organising and communicating with team of creatives from UK, US and Netherlands.
- Responsible for original “mod” concepts and design, programming all functionality and keeping team members up to date with latest code for them to work from.
- Gathering and writing promotional material for news bulletins to send off to news sites (eg BeyondUnreal, PlanetUnreal).
- Responsible for core design and progressive updates of “Fraghouse Invasion”, which proved popular and garnered community support in the form of community made map packs and servers for people to play the mod on.
- Liaising with community to address issues with mods, answer modding queries and support community-made add on content.
Skills and Achievements
- Ability to learn and develop skills without formal structure or tuition, then educate others using this knowledge by giving presentations, teaching in an informal environment and producing written documentation.
- Excellent at problem solving: able to research, learn and develop solutions to given tasks using my own skills and resources.
- Exceptional with software suites including:
- Avid Media Composer, Avid Sonic DVD, Sony DVD Architect
- Adobe suite - Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, Illustrator, InDesign, Encore
- Final Cut Pro, Canopus Edius
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Thorough knowledge of all aspects of photography and videography. Experience with multiple brands of hardware and skilled in both creative and technical aspects.
- Extensive experience in delivering broadcast-quality content, ensuring it is technically legal and meets specifications provided by the media distributor.
- Working knowledge of macOS development tools: Xcode, authoring in Swift / Objective-C for iOS development. Previous experience of C++, primarily from games development. Able to learn and understand programming languages for particular goals or requirements.
- Excellent experience with media encoding solutions such as:
- Avisynth, VapourSynth and open source software - ffmpeg, x264/x265, hcEnc
- Cinema Craft Encoder, TMPGENC, Carbon Coder / ProCoder
- Sorenson Squeeze, Adobe Media Encoder
- Apple Compressor, Mainconcept Reference / Rovi TotalCode
- Able to learn and work with other software packages very quickly. Good understanding of Windows, macOS and iOS operating systems.
- Enjoy working as part of a team, but also excel at standalone independent projects, e.g. being responsible for all aspects of developing a Video On Demand service.
- Strong video editing abilities: good sense of pacing, experience with multi-camera edits, familiarity with three-point editing and fluent use of keyboard shortcuts for quicker editing.
- Patient and personable. Good initiative and tact when interacting with colleagues and customers. Welcome the most challenging projects.
- Diverse range of media skills and adaptability. I am well organised, meet deadlines and have a professional attitude towards clients.
- Very good standard of written English, including accurate spelling and correct use of grammar.
- Good knowledge of layout, design and printing. Experience with technical aspects of delivering for print such as display profiling and image colour management.
- Working with professional and amateur talent, ensuring they are both comfortable on-camera and can deliver within the time schedule.
- Efficient in planning shoots and setting up equipment , enabling work to be done well under tight schedules.
- Use of specialised equipment and software such as capture cards for AV capture and monitor colour calibration for photography and video work.
- Business-based skills, such as finance and accounting, promoting services to prospective clients and tendering for freelance applications.
- Working successfully within budget constraints, making the best use of available equipment, and proactively communicating well with clients to ensure problems are resolved.
- Supported De Montfort University's student television station, Demon TV from 2007-2010. Head of Post Production 2008-2009, Head of IT 2009-2010. Won awards: “Innovator of the Year”, “Best off-screen male” and received highly commended for two categories, Ident and Technical, at the NASTA 2010 awards.
- Experienced with audio production: can produce and mix music tracks and voice overs to a professional standard.