General Body Meeting

02/03/19

1:00 PM Benjamin Franklin Room, Houston Hall

  1. Roll Call
  2. Open Forum
  3. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Upcoming Administrator Meetings
  2. PSG ICARE Training
  3. Your Big Wellness Idea Contest
  1. Vice President’s Report
  1. Past University Council
  2. Upcoming Steering Meeting
  1. UA Report
  1. Super Bowl Party
  2. Member of the Week
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  1. Emergency Contingency Request: Penn Hillel Unity Dinner
  2. Emergency Contingency Request: MARS Men and Masculinities Summit
  1. Discussion Papers
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. Proposed 2021-2022 Academic Calendar
  1. Project Highlights
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. Recommendations for Department Chairs
  2. Lobbying for Better Pre-Major Advising
  3. Improving Tutoring Resources
  4. Lobbying for Syllabi on Penn InTouch
  5. Freshman Research Initiative
  6. Creation of Coordinated Dual-Degree Stress Relief Materials
  1. Student and Campus Life
  1. Tuition Transparency and Reform
  2. CAPS Mythbuster Poster
  3. Nursing Clinical Travel Expenses
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Student and Campus Life
  1. Skill Building Project
  1. Dining, Housing, and Transit
  1. Penn Transit & SEPTA Collaboration
  1. External Seats
  1. UC Facilities Committee
  2. Residential Services Advisory Board
  3. UA and WAB Collaborations
  1. Communications


Reports


President’s Report

  1. Upcoming Administrator Meetings
  1. Student Registration and Financial Services
  1. UA Cabinet will be meeting with Student Registration and Financial Services on February 8 at 4pm. If you have any suggestions for the agenda based on financial aid, course registration, or related projects, please let me know!
  1. Speaker Advisory Group
  1. On February 7, Jordan and I, along with representatives from SCUE, the Class Boards, and GAPSA, will be convening as the Commencement Speaker Advisory Group. This group proposes to University Secretary Leslie Kruhly names of individuals that we would be interested in seeing as Penn’s commencement speaker. While this year’s speaker is already determined and set to be announced an a little over a week, this is a helpful advisory forum for future years. Contact us with any suggestions!
  1. PSG ICARE Training
  1. We will be holding an ICARE training on Tuesday, February 12 from 5-8pm, tentatively in the Harnwell Rooftop Lounge. This training is mandatory for all UA members unless you have a course conflict or have previously undergone the training.
  1. Your Big Wellness Idea Contest
  1. The Faculty Senate, in conjunction with the Provost’s Advisory Committee on Wellness, is launching a University-wide contest called “Your Big Wellness Idea” to improve the school’s environment around wellness. Anyone in the Penn community can submit a wellness idea, and winning submissions will be fully funded to be implemented. Submissions will be reviewed by a “Challenge Committee,” on which the undergraduate members include our very own Simon Miller! This is a great opportunity to collaborate with students or student groups on initiatives to improve wellness at Penn. You can submit ideas here.

Vice-President’s Report

  1. Past University Council
  1. On Wednesday, we convened as University Council. We listened to presentations on administrative and student wellness initiatives from the Chief Wellness Officer, Dr. Benoit Dube, as well as Michael on behalf of the UA and Haley Pilgrim, the President of GAPSA.
  1. Upcoming Steering Meeting
  1. This Tuesday, we will convene at 7:30PM in JMHH 365 for the second Steering meeting of the semester. We will be joined from 7:30-8:00PM by the Division of Public Safety and from 8:00-8:30PM by Counseling and Psychological Services to engage in discussion on student safety.

UA Report

  1. Super Bowl Party
  1. Come by to watch the Super Bowl with the UA and have a good time!
  1. Member of the Week
  1. This week’s member of the week is...

Treasurer’s Report

  1. Emergency Contingency Request: Penn Hillel Unity Dinner Event
  1. On Thursday, January 31st, Exec held an emergency contingency vote. Exec voted 5-0-0 to fund Penn Hillel’s Unity Dinner at $1100 for food and $400 for servers and transportation, for a total of $1500. The event, which was meant to celebrate religious and cultural diversity, occurred on Friday, February 1st in Hillel. The dinner was co-sponsored by Newman Center, Muslim Students Association, Hindu & Jain Association, and PRISM, and approximately 200 Penn Undergraduates attended.  
  1. Emergency Contingency Request: MARS Men and Masculinities Summit
  1. On Friday, February 1st, Exec held an emergency contingency vote. Exec voted 5-0-0 to fund Men Against Rape and Sexual Assault’s Men and Masculinities Summit at $617.80 for honorarium for their keynote speaker. The event, which was meant to explore men’s gender identity and reflect on masculinity, occurred on Saturday, February 2nd in Houston Hall and was co-sponsored by Abuse and Sexual Assault Prevention. Since only 71 of the 170 attendees were Penn undergraduates, 41.8% of their initial request, $1478, was granted.
  1. This brings our contingency fund from $15,131.50 to $13,013.70.  

Discussion Papers


Academic Initiatives

Proposed 2021-2022 Academic Calendar

Authored by: Michael Krone

Each year, the proposed academic calendar is sent around to stakeholders in the University community for feedback. The proposed academic calendar is attached. The important dates to note are below:

Questions:

  1. What are your thoughts on the spacing of breaks in the fall and spring semesters?
  2. How might we prepare students for taking on such a short winter break period?


Project Highlights


Academic Initiatives

Recommendations for Department Chairs

Authored by: Jen Ahn, Regan Mizrahi, Tess Doran, and Ozi Amuzie

The Academic Initiatives Committee will be sending an email to all department heads lobbying for the following initiatives. See the respective project updates for more information.

  1. Reminding their faculty to upload syllabi to Penn InTouch
  2. Asking faculty to serve as pre-major advisors and look out for students that would best fit as peer advisors
  3. Asking their faculty to look out for students that can serve well as tutors and students that might need tutoring

 

Lobbying for Better Pre-Major Advising

Authored by: Regan Mizrahi and Ryan Bush

After meeting with Dr. Tighe, Ryan and I have decided to make a slight adjustment to our project. Due to new information about the structure of the pre-major advising system, we are now going to focus on increasing awareness of these resources rather than changing the system itself. We now will be shifting our focus towards finding a student resource that can help us communicate this awareness of pre-major advising to freshmen early on every year as a reminder.

 

Improving Tutoring Resources

Authored by: Tess Doran and Ozi Amuzie

For the past several weeks, Ozi and I have been looking into different avenues of expanding the resources the tutoring center offers to students. Many students brought to our attention that they were not aware of the different resources already available, and thus are not taking full advantage of opportunities such as private, group, and drop-in tutoring. Additionally, the Tutoring Center is experiencing a lack of tutors available to students. To help solve this, Ozi and I are in the process of reaching out to the head of every department in the efforts to help maximize results. By having department heads reach out to their professors to target students struggling in class by recommending they visit the tutoring center, as well as having them recommend top students to apply to be a tutor, we hope to receive results in a twofold manner. We will be following up with each department head nearing the end of the semester to see if they received any feedback from students on this as well as asking for any suggestions they might have to further expand resources for students.

 

Lobbying for Syllabi on Penn InTouch

Authored by: Jen Ahn

After deliberating which method can create tangible change in the number of syllabi uploaded, it seems that sending an email to every professor, not department chairs, will do so. I am planning to send out these emails during the second week of March. This will correspond to the beginning of advance registration for Fall 2019 courses. The email will detail the issues the lack of syllabi bring, encourage professors to upload them for the courses they are teaching, and emphasize that the syllabus does not necessarily have to be of the upcoming semester.

 

Freshman Research Initiative

Authored by: Ariela Stein

This project’s goal was to promote and enhance awareness of undergraduate research opportunities at Penn. I met with Ann Vernon-Grey, Associate Director of CURF, multiple times to develop a program to attract freshmen to CURF. This past Monday, the objective was accomplished through a panel event titled “Undergraduate Research: Where to Begin?” which featured professors from multiple disciplines across Penn in dialogue with a student moderator. The panelists addressed vital questions about the research process for freshmen and offered advice on how to be a successful research assistant. The event was well attended, with over 70 students, and highly informative.

 

Creation of Coordinated Dual-Degree Stress Relief Materials

Authored by: Obed Antoine

The goal of this project is to ultimately create materials distributed to coordinated dual-degree students during NSO for the class of 2023. The same materials will also be sent to the coordinators of these dual-degrees to send to current students. After much consideration last semester on how to best aid dual-degree students (fixing the email system, organizing bonding events, etc.), I came to the conclusion that the creation of infographics would be the most effective use of administrative time and resources. To create these infographics, I will interview current upperclassmen that are performing well in these degrees to compile a cohesive list of tricks, tips, and general advice on how to succeed in their programs. Once the information is compiled, 1-2 page infographics will be made and set to the appropriate superiors. This method will hopefully streamline aid to dual-degree students while still providing quality information that is not well known.

 

Student and Campus Life

CAPS Mythbuster Poster Series

Authored by: Simon Miller

Over the last semester, I have been working with CAPS Advisory Board (CAPSAB) and CAPS to create a mythbuster poster campaign to help people see past the myths about CAPS in favor of facts. After submitting different myths and their factual counterparts, CAPS reached out to CAPSAB about changing the direction of the project. CAPS anticipates problems associated with placing myths on a poster, as they believe it may have an opposite effect on students and make them think of myths that they may have not previously known or seen. Thus, CAPS wishes to shift the poster campaign from a mythbuster-style poster to a fact sheet that embeds the myths within the factual statements. In the next few weeks, I will be meeting with CAPS and CAPSAB to discuss plans to accomplish the original goal of the project with CAPS’ feedback in mind.

Nursing Clinical Travel Expenses

Authored by Jess Andrews, Anthony Scarpone-Lambert, Tess Doran

 

On Friday, February 1, I met with Dr. Christina Costanzo to discuss clinical travel expenses. Dr. Costanzo informed me that the main issue lies with the lack of transparency regarding cost of attending Penn as a nursing student rather than just a “general” student. She explained that the University of Pennsylvania could provide a stipend for clinical travel expenses if Penn Nursing is able to provide specific information about cost (this is why Penn Nursing can pay for the cost of the Enterprise Car Share service). In addition, we discussed implementing a canvas module about ECS, accelerating the time frame for introduction of the service to nursing students, and reforming the information provided on the Penn Nursing website about the service. Next steps include looping in John T. DeLong, the financial aid officer for Penn Nursing, about this initiative and following up with SRFS regarding the most current cost of attendance for nursing students and other schools who have similar hidden costs.


Completion Reports


Student and Campus Life

Skill Building Project

Authored by: Charles Curtis-Thomas 

Over this session, I have been working on a project that would allow students to have a platform for learning life skills that are not traditionally taught at Penn or in high school (ie. how to balance a checkbook, how to file taxes, general personal finance, how to buy a house, etc.) After discussions with Troy Majnerick and Steve Delcarson, I discovered that a course is currently being introduced for the first-time next semester that deals with many of these topics (URBS-140-301: Inequity and Empowerment). I have been working with Brian Peterson, the instructor of the course, in terms of potential topics and skills to include in the course. URBS-140-301: Inequity and Empowerment officially launched this semester after my discussions with Peterson about the course content.

Dining, Housing, and Transit

Penn Transit & SEPTA Collaboration

Authored by: Will Castner and Maria Curry

In early November of last semester, DHT received word from Penn Transit Director of Communications Barbara Lea-Kruger about the possibility of a SEPTA and Penn Transit promotion later the following month. After sharing our feedback and thoughts on the details of the promotion, it was finalized in early December. December 6th and 7th, the promotion was held at the SEPTA Travel Center at the bookstore in which the first 100 students were able to receive free two-token SEPTA passes to be used anywhere. With the help of promotional efforts by the UA, a total of 213 students ended up taking advantage of the offer. Thanks to everyone who helped share the promotion.


External Seats


UC Facilities Committee

Authored by: Maria Curry

Last Tuesday, we met to discuss Penn's current tobacco policy. Penn Campus Health Director Ashlee Halbritter was present to offer brief comments on the state of the tobacco policy and answer questions from other committee members. The University of Pennsylvania is a tobacco-free campus and prohibits any tobacco smoking and consumption anywhere on campus. Due to rules recommended by the UC Facilities Committee in 2016, this policy is not currently enforced, but rather encouraged by compliance. This policy is due to the difficulty in establishing proper proportionality and enacting penal punishment for such an offense for University students, employees, faculty, non-student locals, and visitors. Furthermore, the last data collected on students who smoke reported that less than 1% of enrolled Penn students smoke any form of tobacco or nicotine on campus. New data was expected to be collected this year's campus climate survey, however was pushed back to 2019 due to higher administration's desire to focus on other topics for this year's survey.

Residential Services Advisory Board

Authored by: Maria Curry and Arjun Swaminathan

This Tuesday RSAB met to discuss recent news and developments on our ongoing projects. Most excitingly, Residential Services approved a sample of a 360° View of a Harnwell apartment and will officially be implementing this technology in all 4-year freshmen dorms this semester, and integrating it into Campus Express for incoming freshmen to view during the selection process. All members of RSAB will be contacting and confirming students in 4-year houses interested in having their entire room filmed for this project. Filming will take place between March and April. Please let us know if you are interested in participating!

UA and WAB Collaborations

Authored by: Maria Curry, Max Grove, and Danny Dontoh

Last Monday, we met with co-chairs of the Wharton Dean's Advisory Board (WAB) Maggie Browdy and Andrew Howard, to discuss overlap between their annual board initiatives and UA led projects, and realistic potential collaboration in the future. In addition to their annual initiatives like Wharton Passion Projects, their priorities for the calendar year that overlap with current UA’s projects or goals include researching and/or implementing: supplemental office hours programs; pass/fail policy for all freshmen fall classes; creation of a minority and underrepresented student council within Wharton; increasing diversity within Wharton faculty; increased resources for FGLI students; addition of a Career Services advisors; and more established lines of communication with student leaders from Ivy+ schools to exchange ideas. The co-chairs were very receptive our our related projects as well such as increased informational sessions for lesser-known Wharton concentrations, increasing mindful spaces in Huntsman Hall and increased TA training.

WAB expressed that they often do not have direct ease of access to high-level administrators, while we expressed the same in regards to academic deans, and therefore will continue to establish lines of communication between our groups. The co-chairs are very eager to collaborate with more student groups on campus regularly to accomplish their goals, so please reach out to us if you are interested any of the projects listed above.


Minutes


  1. Roll Call
  1. Ryan: AM on EI
  2. Tess: AM on AI
  3. Obed: AM on AI
  4. Conor: DP Reporter
  5. Santosh: AM on EI (.5)
  6. Jay: Former VP of the UA
  7. Myan: Jay’s Roommate
  8. Ariela: AM on AI
  1. Open Forum
  1. Michael: There is free food in the Hall of Flags from the Senior brunch.
  2. Maria: Shout out to Natasha for budget education session.
  3. Stephen: The NEC is ordering PSG Merch that will be here in time for PSG Week
  4. Brian: Congrats to John Casey, our new Wharton rep!
  1. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Upcoming Administrator Meetings
  1. Michael: We had to postpone the meeting with DPS. This week we have a meeting with SRFS on Friday at 4pm. If you have any suggestions or have a related projects, please reach out. Also, on February 7, Jordan and I, along with reps from SCUE, the Class Boards, and GAPSA, will be meeting as the Commencement Speaker Advisory Group. Contact us with any suggestions!
  1. PSG ICARE Training
  1. Michael: We will have an ICARE training on Tuesday, February 12 from 5-8pm, tentatively in the Harnwell Rooftop Lounge. I will send out an RSVP form. If you haven’t done this training yet, this will be mandatory.
  1. Your Big Wellness Idea Contest
  1. Michael: The Faculty Senate and the Provost’s Advisory Committee on Wellness are launching a University-wide contest called “Your Big Wellness Idea” to improve wellness on campus. Anyone at Penn can submit a wellness idea, and winning submissions will be fully funded and implemented. They are due March 1.
  1. Vice President’s Report
  1. Past University Council
  1. Jordan: On Wednesday, University Council met, and we listened to presentations on administrative and student wellness initiatives from the Chief Wellness Officer, Dr. Dube, as well as Michael (UA) and Haley Pilgrim (GAPSA). In addition, we have another Open Forum UC, so submit project ideas for that if you would like. The deadline is February 11, and the meeting is February 20.
  1. Kevin: How much can Dr. Dube actually do?
  2. Jordan: He  oversees the publicity of wellness on campus. His first semester was spent learning and listening, but he hopes to evoke innovation in regards to wellness on campus.
  3. Kevin: Is he in more of an advisory role or does he have the power to do projects?
  4. Jordan: He has the power, but it would essentially be partnering with existing spaces. He is kind of a wellness guru here to bridge the gaps.
  1. Upcoming Steering Meeting
  1. Jordan: We have Steering this coming  Tuesday at 7:30PM. For the first 30 minutes DPS will visit, and for the last 30 minutes, CAPS will visit and discuss general safety. Come out if you have any questions for these two offices.
  1. UA Report
  1. Super Bowl Party
  1. Come to Michael’s house at 6pm to watch the Super Bowl with the UA and have a good time!
  1. Member of the Week
  1. MsOTW are Thomas and Ryan!
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  1. Natasha: Thanks to everyone who attended budget education! I will send out the slides after this meeting.
  2. Emergency Contingency Request: Penn Hillel Unity Dinner
  1. Natasha: On Thursday, January 31st, Exec held an emergency contingency vote. Exec voted 5-0-0 to fund Penn Hillel’s Unity Dinner at $1100 for food-- which we normally do not fund but if an event cannot occur without it, we are able to-- and $400 for servers and transportation, for a total of $1500. 
  1. Emergency Contingency Request: MARS Men and Masculinities Summit
  1. Natasha: On Friday, February 1st, Exec held an emergency contingency vote. Exec voted 5-0-0 to fund MARS’s Men and Masculinities Summit at $617.80 for honorarium for their keynote speaker. Since only 71 of the 170 attendees were Penn undergraduates, 41.8% of their initial request, $1478, was granted. Both of these requests bring out contingency fund from $15,131.50 to $13,013.70. 
  1. Jude: What is the UA’s view on funding religious events
  2. Natasha: We cannot fund events that promote the practice of specific religions or ideologies, but this is a unity dinner.
  1. Discussion Papers
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. Proposed 2021-2022 Academic Calendar
  1. Michael: Each year, the proposed academic calendar is sent around to relevant groups in the University community for feedback. Does anyone have any feedback for this calendar in terms of dates specifically the length of breaks?
  1. Elena: Most of us can agree that winter break is extremely short. It a disadvantage to international students. We have the shortest break out of the ivies.
  2. Danny: Why does it fluctuate from year to year?
  3. Michael: They attempt to optimize based on holidays and restrictions by law.
  4. Natasha: Everyone enjoyed this break that was longer. Disadvantage to those who are involved in greek life and have to come back early.
  5. Jordan: Fall break is later, which is not a great idea. I would push for them to go farther into may instead. If we are able to start after MLK weekend, that would be ideal.
  6. Michael: The notion was  that fall break was supposed to be a mid semester break. We determined that it would be more valuable the following weekend post-midterms.
  7. Simon: Why is there a shift in starting later? Move-in is later for both upper classmen and freshmen.
  8. Michael: Those dates are pretty consistent with previous years.
  9. Elena: I have an issue with fall and thanksgiving break off. Having two days is unrealistic for those who travel, because we would have to miss class.. Even having a single additional day would be better for travel. The same with fall break, it is too short and we come back to many midterm exams, which is not a break. A lot of institution begin later and the only schools that I know who went back as early as we did were schools on quarter systems.
  10. Michael: With a later fall break, professors will be encouraged to have midterms before fall break instead. Reach out to me with comments.
  1. Project Highlights
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. Recommendations for Department Chairs
  1. Ozi: We decided to consolidate all of the emails we would be sending to department chairs into one email in order to increase the engagement rate. Issues regarding all three of our project will be addressed in the email.
  2. Elena: I will also be adding information regarding make-up final exams to this email.
  1. Lobbying for Better Pre-Major Advising
  1. Ryan: After meeting with Dr. Tighe, we have decided to change our project a bit. We will focus on increasing awareness of existing resources rather than creating new ones. Jordan recommended we reach out to SCUE in order to get data. In addition, we will be reaching out to department heads. We will be working on the creation of a student resource that will increase awareness. We will be meeting with Dr. Tighe to discuss the potential creation of office hours for advisors.
  1. Improving Tutoring Resources
  1. Tess: Ozi and I have been looking for ways to expand the resources the tutoring center offers to students. Many students are unaware of existing resources, and the tutoring center has limited access to actual tutors. We hope that by reaching out to department heads prompting them to reach out to their professors to recommending students struggling in class to visit the tutoring center, as well as recommending students who receive an A or A- in their course  to apply to be a tutor. We hope to increase the use of these resources.
  2. Mandi: Is there any way to try to expand the resources before advertising them? It is very difficult to get a tutor now, so more demand will not help.
  3. Tess: We will bring this up in our meeting.
  4. Michael: Is there still an email sent out to students who do well in a course? If not, that should be sent out.
  5. Simon: There is a lack of resources in specific, higher level courses.
  6. Ammar: Try to target intro courses first. With the current system, they have to schedule with the students. It is easier to instead have more drop in hours for tutors.
  7. Ariela: I would reach out to grad students to tutor as well.
  8. Nick: I talked with Priya, and she is working on a project with study halls. This could be a better alternative.
  9. Daniel: Grad students are required to TA, so that could be a difficult situation.
  10. Jude: The GIC does satellite tutoring, and it is headed by Weingarten. I would reach out to them for potential collaboration.
  11. Ariela: Are there any group tutoring sessions?
  12. Tess: Yes.
  1. Lobbying for Syllabi on Penn InTouch
  1. Brian: Jen is not here, but you can read the highlight above.
  2. Simon: I worked on a project with adding mental health resources on campus and this could be a great way to integrate that.
  1. Freshman Research Initiative
  1. Ariela: The goal of this project was to promote and enhance awareness of undergraduate research opportunities at Penn. After meeting with Ann Vernon-Grey multiple times to develop a program, this past Monday, our goal was achieved through a panel event titled “Undergraduate Research: Where to Begin?” It featured professors from multiple disciplines across Penn in dialogue with a student moderator. Over 70 students attended the event, so I think we made a great impact.
  1. Daniel: Did they have current undergraduate researchers speak about their experiences?
  2. Ariela: No, but these could be two separate events.
  3. Priya: Does this happen every semester?
  4. Ariela: No.
  5. Priya: It could be helpful to have this event each semester before the deadline.
  6. Ariela: This is a way to promote the directory.
  7. Daniel: The undergraduates emphasized that its very difficult to get a response, and they should probably frame it in a better way. It deters students from wanting to participate.
  1. Creation of Coordinated Dual-Degree Stress Relief Materials
  1. Obed: The goal of this project is to create materials for coordinated dual-degree students during NSO for the upcoming year.  The same materials will also be sent to the coordinators of these dual-degrees to send to current students. After much consideration, I came to the conclusion that the creation of infographics would be the most effective use of administrative time and resources. I found that it would be very efficient to  plan interviews with current upperclassmen that are performing well in these degrees to compile a cohesive list of tricks, tips, and general advice on how to make their dual degree life and processes differently. The infographic will be 1-2 pages and they will focus on each individual dual degrees.
  2. Janice: How do you aim to connect the different dual degrees? They are very different.
  3. Obed: The goal isn't to connect the programs, but to connect the people within each one.
  4. Maria: I think that this is a great first step.
  5. Daniel: Do you feel like there is one in particular that is unorganized or poorly communicated?
  6. Obed: Not necessarily, but i think this could help equalize the playing field within each.
  7. Natasha: I would reach out to those who dropped their dual degrees as well.
  1. Student and Campus Life
  1. CAPS Mythbuster Poster
  1. Simon: I have been working with CAPSAB to create a mythbuster poster campaign to help people see through common myths. Recently, CAPS reached out to CAPSAB about changing the direction of the project to better relay the message. CAPS wishes to shift the poster to more of a fact sheet that embeds the myths within the factual statements.
  1. Maria: Do people email you if they have suggestions for facts? Do you know the policy for the number of sessions you have have at CAPS before they refer you to an outside carrier?
  2. Simon: I am not sure of the exact answer to that.
  3. Kevin: Have you talked to the DP about publishing an article about this?
  4. Simon: I want to have it completely done by March, so I will be reaching out to the Comm team and the DP.
  5. Tess: I have heard that they refer you outside of CAPS after a semester.
  1. Nursing Clinical Travel Expenses
  1. Tess: On Friday, I met with Dr. Costanzo who is in financial aid to discuss clinical travel expenses. She mentioned that basically, there is a lack of transparency within the financial aid package of nursing students.  Next steps include contacting John T. DeLong, the financial aid officer for Penn Nursing, about this initiative and following up with SRFS regarding the most current cost of attendance for nursing students and other schools.
  1. Dante: Could they make modules for anything else?
  2. Jess: This was nursing specific, but I’m sure this could be implemented elsewhere.
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Student and Campus Life
  1. Skill Building Project
  1. Jess: Charles has been working on a project that would allow students to have a platform for learning life skills that are not traditionally taught at Penn or in high school. He worked with a professor to create the course syllabus for the course. (URBS-140-301: Inequity and Empowerment). He also worked with Brian Peterson, the instructor of the course, to discuss potential topics to include in the course.
  1. Dining, Housing, and Transit
  1. Penn Transit & SEPTA Collaboration
  1. Maria: In early November, DHT was contacted by Barbara Lea-Kruger about the possibility of a SEPTA and Penn Transit promotion. On December 6th and 7th, the promotion was held at the SEPTA Travel Center at the bookstore. With the help of promotional efforts by the UA, a total of 213 students ended up taking advantage of the offer. Thanks to everyone who helped share the promotion.
  1. External Seats
  1. UC Facilities Committee
  1. Maria: Last Tuesday, we met to discuss Penn's current tobacco policy. Basically, administrators are kind of out of touch with students and tobacco use. If anyone is interested in gathering data on this, please reach out.
  2. Ammar: I would look into groups who are currently working on this
  3. Daniel: We should try to enforce this more because adults smoke cigarettes everywhere.
  4. Janice: You are supposed to be fined $50  for 15 feet within a building.
  5. Daniel: What are the bounds?
  6. Maria: It is hard to manage this because we are in the middle of a city. It is an issue of compliance.
  7. Natasha: The soft way that they try to get compliance would be to remove ashtrays on campus.
  8. Maria: A health campaign on campus would be beneficial.
  1. Residential Services Advisory Board
  1. Arjun: This Tuesday RSAB met to discuss an approved sample of a 360° View of a Harnwell apartment and will officially be implementing this technology in all 4-year freshmen dorms this semester, and hopefully integrating it into Campus Express for incoming freshmen to view during the selection process this summer. Filming will take place between March and April. Reach out if you are interested in participating. We need to know by February 21st.
  2. Priya: Who is filming?
  3. Maria: We will be doing the filming.
  1. UA and WAB Collaborations
  1. Maria: Max, Danny, and I met with the co-chairs of WAB, Maggie Browdy and Andrew Howard, to discuss overlap between their annual board initiatives and UA led projects, and realistic potential collaboration in the future. WAB is really interested in collaboration.
  1. Communications