Snowdown Chili Cook-Off
Location: Fairground Exhibit Hall with the Bloody Mary Contest
When: Saturday of Snowdown
Preparation and booth set up: 7:00 – 11:30 am
Open to the public for samples: Noon - 2 pm
Entry deadline: Sat 10:00 am
Award ceremony: 2 pm
Prizes: Judge’s choice Red, Green, Vegetarian and Salsa: 1st = $250 | 2nd = $100 | 3rd = $50
People’s choice overall: 1st, 2nd, 3rd (Prizes vary)
Other categories and random prizes
- Set up and Cooking will begin at 7:00am Saturday of Snowdown Weekend.
- One 3’ X 8’ serving table, one 3’ X 8’ preparation table and 2 chairs will be provided.
- A Minimum of 3 (Three) gallons of chili must be prepared; we are encouraging contestants to make 5 gallons. Anticipate around 3,000 people at the event. Chili tasting cups are sold to the public as a fundraiser for Snowdown. Contestants must hand out 1 ½ oz. samples to guest from noon -2:00 pm, 1 ½ oz. ladles will be provided.
- Judging will begin at 10:00 am. Order of Judging – Salsa at 10:00, Vegetarian at 10:30 Green Chili at 11:00 and Red Chili at 11:30.
- Each team is limited to turning in one Green Chili and one Red Chili for official judging.
- Each contestant will be furnished an official judging cup for submitting their entry. Each judging cup will have a concealed numbered ticket attached with a matching numbered ticket to be removed and retained by the cook. Winners will be announced by number. This is a totally blind judging.
- Kitchen facilities are not available for contestants. Water is available for cooking and cleanup. All booths must provide their own means of cooking (propane, Coleman stoves, etc.) Electricity is available but you must furnish your own extension cords. All extension cords must be duct taped down.
- ALL PROPANE MUST BE IN A 1 POUND SMALL GREEN CONTAINER OR A 12 POUND WHIT CONTAINER – WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE LARGE WHITE 5 GALLON PROPANE TANKS INDOORS. LARGE 5 GALLON PROPANE TANKS ARE ALLOWED, BUT YOU MUST COOK OUTSIDE.
- Red and Green Chili may contain any combinations of meats, chili, peppers, spices and other ingredients. Beans, tomatoes, etc. are welcome and can be precooked or canned.
- Meat can be precooked; however, you must mix and cook the chili at the Fairgrounds.
- Each contestant is responsible for delivering his/her cup, filled to the bottom of the cup rim, to the chief judge in the judging area as requested.
- Winners will be announced at the awards ceremony at 2:00pm.
- Salsas may be made of any ingredient, including canned ingredients. They may be cooked or uncooked and may be prepared off site. Contestants can make as much or as little salsa as they would like. Additional salsa should be provided to guest free of charge.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL GREG YUCHA AT 970-382-0788.