2020 Lanakila Packing List
Lanakila campers wear grey shorts & Lanakila shirts.
Aloha Green is an evergreen, or Dartmouth green shade. It is NOT kelly green, olive or teal.
Campers are encouraged to arrive at camp in uniform, but are not required to do so.
For health and safety reasons, we wear shoes/sneakers at all times. For tennis, smooth-soled sneakers are desirable. On water trips, we always wear closed-toe shoes - these always get wet.
Uniform items may be purchased from our vendor, or from other sources.
- 5-6 pairs Grey shorts (At least 3 should be cargo shorts and the rest may be cotton-knit jogging/athletic shorts. Above the knee, light to medium grey, no shiny nylon shorts)
- 2 White Polo Shirts or Plain White Dress Shirts with collar
- 2 Pairs Pants or Jeans (or 1 pair and 1 pair sweatpants)
Please stick to a “standard” style. Multiple extra pockets, excessively baggy, unhemmed, and highly stylized pants are not welcome. All jeans and pants must be in good shape (no holes, frayed hems or patches)
Color: light to medium shades of grey or standard blue jean color (not black, bleached, striped or printed)
- Aloha-Green sweatpants (optional)
- 1 Fleece / Sweatshirt / Warm Layer
Extra warm layer for trips
Other necessary items
- 10-12 pairs socks (plus 1 pair wool socks for trips)
- 10-12 pairs underwear
- 2 pajamas
- 1 laundry bag with drawstring
- 2 bath towels and 2 face cloths
- ALL toiletries, incl. soap & dish, shampoo, toothbrush & paste, drinking cup (plus container to keep everything in)
- 1 beach towel
- 2 swim trunks
- 1 baseball cap or or other sun hat (hat available in camp store)
- 2 pair sneakers (in good condition)
- 1 pair hiking boots or equivalent sturdy shoes (for trips)
- 1 poncho (for use on trips)
- 1 flashlight and extra batteries
- pens, paper, envelopes and stamps
- bug repellent and sunscreen (no aerosols please)
- water bottle (available in camp store)
- 1 simple jackknife (not spring-loaded or assisted, max: 3” blade)
- Day pack (for trips)
- 1 lightweight raincoat, hat & waterproof boots
- It never rains at Lanakila, but when it does, it can be wet! Everyone must have rain gear.
- 1 trunk or footlocker (recommended size: 32” x 18” x 13.5”)
- 1 duffel bag (for whatever doesn’t fit in the trunk)
- 3-4 warm blankets
- 2 sets of sheets (flat or flat & fitted - twin/single or cot)
- 1 pillow, 2 pillow cases
- 1 sleeping bag (stuffed, not rolled)
- 1 pair old sneakers for canoe trips and “mucking about”
- shin guards (for campers 12 and over who would like to play soccer at a competitive level)
- camera with extra film & batteries (disposable cameras available in camp store)
- musical instrument & music
- 1 tennis racket & 1 can of balls
- A couple sets of non-uniform clothing
Things NOT to bring to Lanakila
- Electronics of any kind, including cellular phones, computers, electronic games or toys, video or digital cameras, electronic address books, CD players, iPods, Kindles or other electronic book readers. Good books are a healthy substitute.
- Gum, candy or ANY other food items. Please take time to be sure these items are not in the trunk.
- Clothing with school emblems or written messages are not part of the camp uniform. Campers may, however, wish to bring some non-uniform clothing for Unit parties, sleepover breakfasts or the few non-uniform events.
- Magic cards
- Jibbitz for Crocs
- Alcohol, drugs, weapons, pets, skateboards, hammocks & motorized vehicles