#316 - The Angry Chicken: “The Rogue Dust Settles”
• Garrett • Dills
Intro: Welcome to The Angry Chicken!
Thanks to everyone for continuing to support us on Patreon. Go to Patreon.com/TAC.
ICYMI: TAC’s E.V.I.L. Essentials Dalaran Heist video
Is up over on Youtube.com/amovetv
TACO sign ups are open! June 15th! Check Patreon.com/tac for the links
Reckless Experimenter is not staying the same
After the announcement of the Rise of the Mech update, we became aware of an interaction between SN1P-SN4P and Reckless Experimenter that allows for an early-game infinite damage combo in Priest. As a result of this, we’ve opted to make a change to Reckless Experimenter to go along with the 14.4 patch (scheduled to release June 3) so this combo is no longer possible. We’re also aware of some interactions that SN1P-SN4P creates in Wild when played alongside multiple copies of Mechwarper. We’ll be keeping a close eye on how that plays out over the following weeks. Here is how the card now reads (updated card asset here):
Reckless Experimenter – Deathrattle minions you play cost (3) less, but die at end of turn. (Cost can’t be reduced below 1.)
Once the change to Reckless Experimenter is live, you will be able to disenchant it for its full Arcane Dust value for two weeks.
Also quick Rise of the Mechs FAQ
- Will there be dust refunds for buffed cards?
- Philosophically, cards that we feel we’ve improved won’t be eligible for refunds.
- Will any other sets be buffed in the future?
- We will be watching closely how this round of buffs goes. We like the idea of doing this kind of thing in the future, but can’t commit to anything solid quite yet.
- It currently feels like most if not all Rogue decks are built around Preparation due to how Rogue spells have synergy with it. What was the thought process behind not nerfing Prep earlier? Doing so now feels like Rogue is effectively gutted.
- Prep fits exactly what we think the Rogue kit should be about, just at a power level that makes it feel like it should be included in all possible Rogue archetypes. It’s one of the cards we find ourselves designing around the most because it makes it difficult to make reasonably powerful Rogue spells in the circumstance where they aren’t being used with Prep.
When we have a change in mind to a Basic or Classic card we would rather make that change at a time a whole new suite of cards are coming into the game or when the class we’re changing can withstand a power level decrease and still have powerful archetypes.
- Warrior has enough matchups with classes like Hunter and Mage that we thought would allow the meta to shift on its own if something like Control Warrior became the new most popular archetype. Of course, we will monitor player perception and data on a daily basis and will continue to evaluate if any more changes become necessary.
- How did you select the cards from each class to be buffed?
- We chose cards based on how fun or interesting we feel they are to play in relation to how much they are currently being utilized. In this case, the cards that were selected are part of the Rise of the Mechs event, which is specific to The Boomsday Project set. There were many cards that were played less than the cards we chose, but these are the ones that we believed led to the most fun experiences without making decks that are already very powerful even better.
- How long have you been thinking about / working on these buffs?
- We’ve been thinking about them for a while! Generally, the goal with past events and this event are the same. We want to try different ways to make the game feel fresh beyond the first month or two of a new expansion release. Buffing cards is one way to do that. Feedback has been very positive so far so we’re looking forward to seeing how the changes shake out when the patch is live.
Hotfixes for The Dalaran Heist - May 24 2019
CM Dylan Bates posted Dalaran Heist balance changes & bug fixes to the HS forums this past Friday.
- Adjusted the rarity of some passive Treasures.
- Slightly increased the power of the “Togwaggle’s Dice” Treasure.
- Note: Togwaggle’s Dice does not randomize between 0 and 10, it increases or decreases the cost of cards at random.
- Normal Encounter Adjustments:
- Decreased the power of Vas’No’s deck.
- Heroic Encounter Adjustments:
- Changed the theme and playstyle of Sky Captain Smigg’s deck to be more aggressive.
- Increased the cost of Anarii Duskgrove’s “Summon Protectors” to (3).
- Increased the power of the following Heroic encounter decks:
- The Amazing "Bonepaw"
- Dagg Cruelmight
- Dalaran Fountain Golem
- Kazamon Steelskin
- Valdera Highborne
- Ol’ Toomba
- Millificent Manastorm
- Decreased the power of the following Heroic encounter decks:
- Linzi Redgrin
- Aki the Brilliant
- Haro Setting-Sun
- Anarii Duskgrove
- Tala Stonerage
- Disidra Stormglory
- Ranger Ar’ha
- Ungan Oddkind
- Bookmaster Bae Chao
- Fixed a bug that caused Queen Wagtoggle’s Hero Power to summon low-cost minions too frequently.
- Fixed a bug where Xur’ios would use his Normal deck in Heroic mode.
Big thanks to our sponsor Harry’s
Make sure you go to Harrys.com/tac to redeem your offer and let them know TAC sent you to help support the show!
The meta so far
Balance changes have been live for a week. What does the meta look like now?
Moving on up
- Struggled against Tempo Rogue so only makes sense that this aggro deck would see better performance post-patch.
- Reminder that this deck is still strong against most Hunter archetypes. The only exception being Midrange, but it’s a close matchup.
- Still struggles against Control Warrior, Zoo, Token Druid.
- Struggled against Rogue.
- Does very well against slower decks. Has a very strong matchup against Priest, Warrior, and Control or Big Shamans.
- But really struggles against the current aggro and midrange decks (Druid, Huner, Zoo, Murloc Shaman).
- Still strong against basically everything except Druid & Rez Priest.
- Question from our Discord
CheezyBob writes: I have been finding some good success playing Secret Hunter, I just have a few questions about some of the specific cards that synergize with secrets.
The main two are Sunreaver Spy and Masked Contender. I try really hard to get value by not playing these when I do not have a secret active. I am sure however that there are times when this is not the case, and I am hoping that you fine folks could provide me with some in-depth decision making as to when it is appropriate to play these minions just to have a body on board.
- Very good matchups across the board still.
- Much closer matchups against Druid.
- Already did well against Rogue. But it wasn’t so favored that I would consider the Rogue nerf bad for Token Druids. It was a relatively close matchup.
- Really strong against most popular archetypes.
- Close: Mech Hunter, Dragon Mage, Mech Paladin, Control Warrior.
- Weak: Nomi Priest, Zoo
- Crazy strong against: Spell Mage, Shaman, Zoo
- Does well against: Druid, Secret Hunter
- Even: Mech/Midrange Hunter
- Weak: Deathrattle Hunter, Dragon Mage, Nomi Priest, Bomb Warrior.
- Bomb Warrior is the only popular deck that Control Warrior is really weak to.
- Much more popular than Control Warrior.
Where does Rogue go from here?
New Rogue - Most popular
- Can pull the Ticket Scalpers for big card draw.
- But there are also Hench-Clan Burglars and Cursed Castaways.
- Both the Cable Rat and Miscreant are in this deck for maximum Lackey-age and Togwaggle triggers.
- Random spell card generation through Blink Fox and Spirit of the Shark. Triggers Vendetta and Underbelly Fence
- Variant #1 - Fewer games / Highest (significantly higher) Winrate
- Drops: 2x Shadowstep, Edwin, & 2x Shark Spirit.
- Runs: 2x Mecharoo, 2x Hench-Clan Thug, & Leeroy.
- Strong: Token Druid, Mech/Midrange Hunter, Spell Mage, Murloc Shaman, & Zoo.
- Will most likely die horribly to Warrior.
- Togwaggle’s Scheme, Novice Engineer, & Lifedrinker.
- Runs Thalnos, Hench-Clan Thug, Walk the Plank, and Fan of Knives
- No Scheme, Novice Engineer, or Lifedrinker
Patreon Thanks Before Emails
TAC is supported by our epic Patrons. You can become a TAC Patron by going to Patreon.com/tac. Becoming a TAC patron gives you access to the TAC Discord Server, early sign ups for our tournaments, as well as the Deck Code for next week’s strategy section.
- Lou Riordan
- Tony Meier
You can send your emails to TACpodcast@gmail.com.
I have never enjoyed arena as much as other sealed formats from other TCGs. Partly due to the feeling of not having a pile of cards to construct the best deck with what I pulled for that day.
Would team5 ever consider adding Bartender Bob to arena to add more player agency? Maybe after drafting your 30-cards you get Bob or after ever 2-3 matches in Arena?
One of my favorite things in Hearthstone is to tinker with decks and arena had failed to scratch the itch. Maybe Bob can be a back scratcher?
Thanks for your show, +5/+5 would listen again.
TAC is supported by our epic Patrons. You can become a TAC Patron by going to Patreon.com/tac. Becoming a TAC patron gives you access to the TAC Discord as well as other perks!
If you dig the show drop us a 5 star review on the iTunes. Helps TAC find new listeners!
Thanks to our Patreon producers Declan H, Sean C, and CheezyBob! TAC coffee mugs and glasses are over at etched.amove.tv and our t-shirts are for sale at shirts.amove.tv.
The back catalogue of TAC can be found over on Amove.tv and Youtube.com/Amovetv. Follow the show on Twitter @TACpodcast!
Catch the live show Tuesday nights at 4pm Eastern on Twitch.tv/amovetv. Catch the live show from virtually any device thanks to AlphaGeekMedia.com. And big thanks to briangriffithmusic.com for our music.
Dill’s where else can everyone find you?
Follow Dills @WillieDills
Check out my stream at twitch.tv/williedills
Joce where can you be found?
Follow Jocelyn @JocePlays
The Gamers’ Inn
Follow Garrett @GarrettArt
NOMOONart.com for Garrett’s stream designs.
Enter the Apex: An Apex Legends Podcast