Mitigation Plan for 2021-22 School Year TBD
Weight Room Training Mitigation Plan
This document is intended to provide guidance for schools to consider with their athletes, parents, and staff for activity practice sessions at any risk level.
- There should be a designated individual on site responsible for monitoring and following all screening, cleaning and social distancing protocols.
- Schedule a minimum of 20 minutes between the end of one session and the beginning of individuals showing up for another session.
- All Weight room sessions must be scheduled:
- After 1:30pm
- Through the Activities AP and entered into Community Schools (rentals) for custodial awareness
- To accommodate the capacity
All screening will follow ASD guidelines which include but is not limited to temperature checks, exposure questions, and attendance records.
- All participants must have an ASD Covid Waiver signed and submitted prior to attending
- All participants must complete the ASD Health Screening daily
- Athletes must go home or stay home if they feel sick.
Each weight room is different in size and capacity; each facility must establish its capacity that will allow students to comply with social distance recommendations (six feet) from other students, while they are working at their selected stations.
Make sure the weight room is well ventilated.
- Work with facilities management to adjust the ventilation so that the maximum amount of fresh air is delivered to occupied spaces.
- If free standing fans are used, position them in a way that does not direct air from one student-athlete to another.
Weight Room Set-Up Considerations
Modify or adjust cardio equipment, free weight areas, weight training equipment, and fitness areas to maintain social distancing of at least six feet between student-athletes.
- If rearranging is not an option, place “do not use” signage and turn-off/unplug select equipment to allow for proper social distancing.
- Use visual cues such as floor decals, colored tape, and signs to remind student-athletes to maintain distance of at least six feet from others, including around training equipment, free weight areas.
- Sponsors are encouraged to create “boxes” of ten feet by ten feet with colored tape and have student-athletes work through “stations.”
- In creating 10x10 spaces, student-athletes will more easily maintain the six feet distancing as recommended.
- All weight rooms will have a single entry and exit door, and should provide the most direct route outside.
- Consider making foot-traffic single direction in narrow or confined areas, such as aisles to encourage single-file movement at a six-foot distance.
- Place handwashing stations or hand sanitizers with at least 60% alcohol in multiple locations throughout the weight room.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces.
- If surfaces are visibly dirty, clean them using a detergent or soap and water before you disinfect them.
- Use products that are ASD Approved (PurTabs Disinfectant)
- Provide sanitizing disposable wipes and other cleaning materials and conduct targeted and more frequent cleaning of frequently touched surfaces and objects (free weights, exercise equipment, cardio machines, time clocks,chairs, railings, door handles, countertops, doorknobs, tables, light switches, etc.)
- Small groups must be scheduled to reduce the number in the room at any one time and comply with social distancing guidelines (six feet).
- Only persons who are participating in the activity may be in the weight room. No parents, siblings or other non-participants may be in the weight room.
- All student-athletes and Coaches will be masked up with approved face covering while in the weight room, and/or inside the building.
- Clean and disinfect all exercise equipment and tools between all users each and every time
- Disinfecting wipes and/or paper towels and disinfectant for student-athletes to use before and after exercising at each location/station/piece of equipment will be provided.
- Gym users will clean equipment before and after each use and at the end of the day.
- For activities that require “spotting” and/or “spotters,” all participants must be masked throughout the activity.
- All student-athletes will provide their own water and container.