West Platte School District
CSIP Action Plan Progress
Safety, Security, Climate, and Culture
- Establish, implement, and communicate a district and community wide character education and bully prevention program.
- Establish community wide partnerships to support the character education and bully prevention program.
- Establish, implement, and communicate a comprehensive and current safety plan.
- Establish, implement, and communicate processes for community access and utilization of the Storm Shelter.
- Establish and implement a comprehensive and efficient lighting plan for all district buildings and grounds.
- Establish and implement an efficient, comprehensive security camera plan to address safety and security in district buildings and grounds.
- Establish and implement an efficient, comprehensive security camera plan to address concerns with bus safety and security.
- Establish and implement an internal radio system for offices and administrative staff.
- Establish and implement an interior door locking system to complement the unified exterior door-locking system.
- Establish a unified interior and exterior room labeling system.
- Establish and implement annual training for all staff on crisis response.
- Establish an online registration process for new and returning students.
- Improve internal communication through defined district and building level communication plans and routines, including digital, print, phone, in-person, and media outlets.
- Establish and utilize superintendent and principal advisory committees.
- Establish and utilize student advisory committees.
- Establish a media/news broadcasting program for students at junior high/high school to produce news and enhance communication internally and externally.
- Enhance two-way communication between parents/community and the school district through surveys, forums, educational events, and committees.
- Develop and implement student and staff Electronic Communication Device policies.
- COMPLETED - June, 2015 (and updated annually)
- Establish a communication crisis plan.
- Establish a West Platte Educational Foundation.
- COMPLETED - October, 2014
- Establish/enhance the involvement and partnership of the West Platte Alumni Association.
- Communicate the importance of and develop a district wide recycling and paper use reduction program.
- Establish online training opportunities for community and staff.
- COMPLETED - July, 2013 (and ongoing)
- Ensure a welcoming and customer friendly environment in all district buildings, grounds, and facilities.
- Establish and implement a comprehensive marketing program and engage regularly with regional agencies and businesses to promote the District.
- Create a district wide program targeting student mobility to assist in transition for both parents and students, including Fort Leavenworth families.
- Engage with Fort Leavenworth and annually renew the Memorandum of Understanding agreement.
- Construct new facilities as deemed necessary by student growth, efficiency needs, and recruitment strategies.
- COMPLETED - Ongoing (Central Office, Athletic Complex, Additional 4th Grade Classrooms)
- Remodel and renovate existing buildings as necessary to align to 21st Century Learning.
- COMPLETED - Ongoing (Preschool Remodel, 2017)
- Ensure the physical needs of all building are identified and met.
- Proactively purchase land in preparation for future growth and building expansion.
Community, Parental, and Student Involvement
- Establish and define parameters for a Volunteer Program to maximize and ensure efficiency and safety of District volunteers.
- Increase effectiveness of parental, student and community involvement communication efforts through use of multiple channels to share information about the program and volunteer opportunities.
- Increase parent involvement in each school.
- Increase community involvement in the schools and student involvement in the community.
- Streamline partnerships with the PTO, Booster Club, Quarterback Club, Chamber Jays, and other supporting organizations.
- Establish and expand opportunities for service learning at all grade levels.
- Establish and implement opportunities for business, work, and service partnerships at the high school level.
- Provide high quality, research-based, and cohesive reading instruction in grades PreK-12.
- Establish and implement building level Care Teams to assist in early identification and intervention for at-risk students.
- Provide formal extended learning opportunities to serve students’ needs.
- Implement with fidelity a Response to Intervention program and other proactive programs to serve all students’ needs.
- Provide resources and training to coordinate and implement an effective comprehensive at risk program.
- Establish strategies to reduce truancy and increase attendance among at-risk students.
- Establish strategies to reduce drop out rates and increase graduation rates.
- Implement a World Language program on a phase-in basis.
- Implement a subject acceleration program for reading and math on a phase-in basis in grades 6-9.
- Increase course offerings at the secondary level, including advanced placement, dual credit, and vocational offerings.
- Establish supervised after-school activities in district facilities (libraries labs, gyms/multipurpose rooms) to increase learning opportunities.
- Develop career and technical education/readiness programs in grades 7-12.
- Implement a one-to-one computer program in grades K-12 on a phase-in basis.
- Implement opportunities for vocational, business, and service learning programs at the secondary level.
- Increase the amount of time (length or number of school days) in the school calendar in order to increase and expand the comprehensive educational program.
- Increase opportunities for STEM alliances in grades 3-12.
- COMPLETED - Ongoing (PLTW in Elementary Levels, Expanding into HS Levels)
- Sustain and strengthen offerings in the area of practical and performing arts.
- COMPLETED - Ongoing (Practical and Performing Arts Classes are Offered)
- Increase funding through grants.
- Evaluate and establish a master facility plan including alignment of capital project needs with current and future student growth/needs.
- COMPLETED - Ongoing (Board of Education in Additional Planning Stages)
- Increase local funding support base by partnering with agencies and individual partners to increase local housing and economic development opportunities.
- Increase funding to support Pre-K Educational Programs.
- COMPLETED - Ongoing (Increasing PAT Participation and Preschool Enrollment)
- Establish and support the West Platte Educational Foundation.
- Establish internal opportunities to financially support the West Platte Educational Foundation.
- Enhance energy control savings, preventative maintenance and replacement, and recoup cost of utilities.
- Increase state funding formula revenue through internal efforts to ensure accurate data reporting., i.e. attendance, meal benefit, instructional hours outside the regular school day, etc.
- Expand learning opportunities that increase enrollment and average daily attendance.
- Evaluate opportunities for lease agreements, outsourced service contracts, and facilities programs that exist to meet district needs.
- Implement a corporate sponsorship/donation program.
Allocation of District Resources
- Establish and report annually a list of current trends and best practices, including requests for the allocation of funds to support their implementation.
- Establish an Excellence in Education Fund to support innovative ideas presented by teachers or departments.
- COMPLETED - Ongoing (West Platte Education Foundation Provides Grants)
- Identify, and provide resources to alleviate, current and future areas of over-extension or ineffective practice.
- Establish an effective PreK-12 information portal to record and share comprehensive student data for the purpose of effectively meeting student and District needs.
- Establish and implement an electronic records system to enhance efficiency and to ensure appropriate archiving.
- Establish a Salary and Welfare Committee to work collaboratively with administration to provide recommendations for improvements to employee compensation and work environment.
- Implement a comprehensive PreK-12 curriculum which is aligned to the Common Core State Standards and Missouri State Standards.
- Identify and develop core instructional strategies.
- Implement consistent classroom use of formative assessments, summative assessments, descriptive feedback, and student self-monitoring of progress.
- Provide an online assessment data management tool to monitor individual student progress.
- Provide professional development on identified, targeted student learning goals and developing formative assessment strategies to monitor those student learning goals.
- Implement a tutoring program tailored to specific student needs in grades PreK-12.
Recruitment, Retention, and Professional Development
- Establish building level Professional Development Committees to guide in the selection, planning, delivery, and evaluation of professional development initiatives.
- Increase compensation for professional development among faculty and staff.
- Increase the allocation of time for professional development within the district calendar.
- Establish and implement a program to recognize and reward excellence among faculty and staff.
- Establish a comprehensive PreK-12 student attendance program.
- Establish individual, building level, and district level targets for student achievement in core instructional areas as well as MSIP 5 assessed areas.
- Establish after school Academic Support Programs in each building to provide extended learning opportunities for all students.
- Create a reading support class at the high school for students reading below grade level.
- Establish and implement a tiered high school diploma system.
- Establish and implement an academic cum laude system at the secondary level.
Governance, Leadership, and Quality
- Establish, maintain, reference, and follow up to date policies (Missouri School Boards Association) to ensure succinct, efficient, and legally appropriate District operations.
- Establish an annual budget development and approval procedure which is appropriately aligned to both the educational needs and the financial resources of the District.
- Establish plans for the professional development of District leadership.
- Establish plans for the development of members of the Board of Education.
- Establish and implement a plan to ensure continuous improvement of the quality of district operations.
- COMPLETED - Fall, 2013 (Next CSIP is in 2018)