St. Johnsbury, Vermont
Getting to St. Johnsbury (or St. Jay as it is locally known) is quite simple. Turn left out of Lower Waterford Road and head north on Route 18 for 7 miles. At the junction of Routes 18 & 2, turn left onto Route 2 West. The first stop to make on your trip into town is
- Dog Mountain - Dog Chapel, Art Gallery of Stephen Huneck, and great hiking trails. ~ “A MUST See” . from Route 2, turn right onto Spaulding Road just opposite the Fairbanks Scale Plant. Continue on Spaulding Road as it bears to the right and follow up the hill. On the left, ¾ of a mile up the hill is the gallery, outdoor sculpture gardens, and dog chapel. ** Enjoy the great hiking trails while there too! ** Steve Huneck ( world-renowned local artist transformed this 150-acre hillside site into an unforgettable experience for art lovers and dog lovers alike. Hours fluctuate - Check online.
Proceed out to Route 2 again and look for the following...
- Maple Grove Farms~ A gift shop with Maple Grove brand food products, salad dressings, baking mixes, etc. ** THIS IS NOT a real sugar house. If you wish to visit a REAL maple farm w/ authentic maple products , we have great ones nearby. Ask for details.
Continue over the bridge and arrive at Railroad Street. Dunkin’ Donuts faces you. Turn right to:
- Walgreens Pharmacy and Health & Beauty Aids
- Natural Provisions ~ a large natural health food store / good to-go lunch options
If you turn left onto Railroad Street:
- Central Cafe - TERRIFIC spot for quality coffee (extensive list), AND an artful, delicious lunch menu. Check out the great sweet treats too! A cozy, comfy, & cool place to go. A FAV!
- Boule Bakery - Heavenly artisan breads & pastries. Pop in for a coffee & delish pastry.
- Artisans’ Guild ~ A wonderful store! Quality arts and crafts from the area’s juried artisans
- The Frame Dames ~ Custom framing, art supplies, some local art.
- Boxcar & Caboose Bookstore & Cafe ~ neighborhood bookstore with coffee/espresso
- Whirligig Brewing - Great nano brewery (small batch) unique craft beers. Be sure to check online for hours. Interesting pop-up food options on weekends.
- Kingdom Taproom & Table ~ 2 great options. Upstairs: The Table Restaurant. Downstairs: Pub fare with sandwiches, small plates. Both feature a sizable craft beers list.
- Cosmic Cup Cafe ~ Great spot for lunch or a great coffee/espresso.
- Moose River Lake & Lodge ~ eclectic boutique, rustic collectibles, even a wine vault.
- St Johnsbury Welcome Center ~ public restrooms Free Wireless Internet Hotspot
- Anthony’s Diner ~ Good New England diner fare for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Now turn right onto Eastern Avenue where you will find....
- Star Movie Theater ~ hometown theater with 3 screens... just like the big city (without big city prices)
- Haven ~ Very cool eclectic shop- quality vintage & modern treasures. 18 Eastern Ave
- What To Wear ~ Upscale Women’s Consignment Clothing Shop. 14 Eastern Ave
- Ysbrydoliarth - A Curiosity Shop ~ An eclectic, fun, and unique shopping experience. 71 Eastern Ave. Check hours online.
- Catamount Arts Theater ~ Great intimate movie theater (check programming online), special performances, and art gallery.
- St. Johnsbury Distillery / Tasting Room & Speakeasy. - DON”T miss it! Taste the great variety of unique rums carefully crafted onsite. BE SURE to check online for current hours.
Turn right on Main Street to find:
** Now the HIGHLIGHTS of St. Johnsbury: At the top of Eastern Avenue, turn right and park on Main Street. On the left side, visit the St. Johnsbury Library & Athenaeum ~ a “must see”. Nat’l Historic Landmark, outstanding art gallery & library. Check online for current hours.
Diagonally opposite the library is the Fairbanks Museum & Planetarium ~ another “must see”. Wild collection of natural history. Check online for current hours