ADC-IARPC Vocabularies and Semantics Working Group


Meeting Agenda & Minutes

When

April 3, 2018 17:00 UTC

Where

Hi there,

Ruth Duerr is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: ADC-IARPC Semantics WG 2018-04-03

Time: Apr 3, 2018 11:00 AM Mountain Time (US and Canada)

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://cuboulder.zoom.us/j/6557451500

Or iPhone one-tap :

        US: +16465588656,,6557451500#  or +16699006833,,6557451500#

Or Telephone:

        Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):

            US: +1 646 558 8656  or +1 669 900 6833

        Meeting ID: 655 745 1500

        International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/FMIe7

Or an H.323/SIP room system:

        H.323:

            162.255.37.11 (US West)

            162.255.36.11 (US East)

            221.122.88.195 (China)

            115.114.131.7 (India)

            213.19.144.110 (EMEA)

            202.177.207.158 (Australia)

            209.9.211.110 (Hong Kong)

            64.211.144.160 (Brazil)

            69.174.57.160 (Canada)

        Meeting ID: 655 745 1500

        SIP: 6557451500@zoomcrc.com

Preliminary agenda (and minutes)

  1. Round table (who is attending)
  1. Gabrielle Alix
  2. SiriJodha Singh Khalsa
  3. Mark Schildhauer
  4. Chantel Ridsdale
  5. Paul Thompson
  6. Pier Luigi Buttigieg
  7. Ruth Duerr
  8. Øystein Godøy
  9. David Baker
  10. Peter Pulsifer
  1. Adoption of agenda
  1. The agenda was adopted.
  1. Review of minutes of previous meeting
  1. 2018-02-20
  1. No comments were made to the existing minutes. These are now considered public.
  1. Review of collaboration tools
  1. Review document prepared by David Baker.
  1. The scope of the document must be better defined than today. As it is now, the understanding of the purpose is mixed. A better explanation of why this is a useful activity has to be added along with a better description of the context and processes needed, and a section on the intended audience.
  1. Discussion of tools, clarification of the purpose of each tool, potentially deciding on how to use the various tools.
  1. Google group
  1. Currently used for email reminders
  1. Slack channel
  1. This will be used for general conversations.
  1. Website
  1. This is used for outreach
  1. Google drive
  1. This will be used for all documents, including meeting agendas, documents in preparation, etc.
  1. Trello
  1. This is used for project management.
  1. GitHub
  1. This will be used for technological development.
  1. Status of circulation of the Google form for collecting information on information resources.
  1. Status of introduction
  1. This is pending. Ruth and Peter will look into this on Thursday.
  1. Status of the form
  1. SiriJodha reported that some URL fields are too short
  1. Status of circulation to various communities.
  1. It was agreed to focus on technological competent communities initially as they are connected to the scientific community.
  2. Everybody to start filling in information once this is announced.
  1. Awareness updates (roundtable)
  1. Ruth have submitted a report to GCW reviewing the content of the GCW glossary and another report on how the GCW glossary relates to other activities (like ENVO).
  2. Pier Luigi reported they have started to get Cryo material into ENVO. See https://github.com/EnvironmentOntology/envo/releases/tag/v2017-04-15. They are experimenting with an ontological interface to the CF standard names. This is tricky, but possible.
  3. SiriJodha notes that the RDA is forming a task group focused on the application of schema.org to data, in the hopes of getting international agreement on standards for the conventions and extensions for data. Need to take into account parallel efforts, not just what google is doing: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/data-discovery-paradigms-ig/post/proposal-schemaorg-task-group
  4. Peter informed on the Polar Data Planning Summit and the upcoming AOS meetings. He will provide further information at the next meeting.
  5. Mark talked about semantic vocab development at NSF Arctic Data Center, building on work on ENVO (Ruth and Pier also using ENVO), but focusing on specific scientific measurements (e.g. carbon dioxide flux in permafrost zones).  Also interested in SWEET-ENVO alignment activities at ESIP
  6. David informed that CASRAI is becoming a DuraSpace project. Together they will work to enable CASRAI in becoming a sustainable, community-driven project; on continuing to develop new community-based standards; and on expanding the CASRAI community beyond the over 50 organizations currently engaged with the project. More information is available at http://duraspace.org/articles/3395.
  7. Chantelle informed that she has experience with building a Vivo database from her work with Research Data Canada. She is familiar with the backend, and has the experience that the Vivo online community is very supportive, and always ready to help with any questions, concerns, or issues.
  1. Next meeting
  1. Agreed to do the third Tuesday of the month, at 17:00 UTC (changed from 18:00 UTC as DST has been introduced).
  2. Next meeting will be April 17, 2018 17:00 UTC (11:00 MDT and 19:00 CEST)